• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Interesting tweets by Hardware Unboxed today. I’ll be waiting for the reviews before I decide whether to buy a 3080 as I just don’t trust Nvidia’s likely cherrypicked figures. Stumping up 650 without some independent analysis would be bonkers

Associate
top asus card is now £850 on the 3080 just pure greed and has deffo p*ssed me off so I won’t be buying Asus at all. @ASUS GPU Support
Just so you know the pricing on the ROG Strix is currently a placeholder and not confirmed yet, so please stay tuned. We're lining the TUF up to be great performance and cost, but the ROG Strix we will always try to push the GPU even further to create great performance.

Associate
Soldato
Bloke on Youtube called Bang4buck gamer and he was really rubbing it in in his latest video saying if you have a 2080ti and have not moved it on yet you must feel like killing yourself because you have lost 300 to 400 quid he said you should have been smarter and moved it on sooner he sounds like a right arrogant **** i hope he gets a chargeback.

I still think we need to wait for some proper benchmarks to be honest. Because if the non RTX performance isn't a massive jump ahead there may not be as much of a need to upgrade.

Soldato
Just so you know the pricing on the ROG Strix is currently a placeholder and not confirmed yet, so please stay tuned. We're lining the TUF up to be great performance and cost, but the ROG Strix we will always try to push the GPU even further to create great performance.

I think what prospective buyers are really after right now is the basic specs of the cards (i.e. boost speeds) and whether they're using the reference PCB.

Can you confirm that such details are indeed embargoed and when this lifts?

Associate
Ill stay tuned ofcourse. waiting for the speeds to be updated im expecting a big change in speeds from the rog strix if there price is there or there abouts on release!

Soldato
What I was referencing (but based on my own testing with a Vega):

Two things:
1) The 1% lows don't seem to show a "stuttery mess" for any of the cards. So if the 2080 is limited by its vram, it doesn't crash and burn when it happens.

2) The IGN doom eternal video puts the 3080 against the 2080Ti, which has more vram than the 3080, and the 2080 Ti still gets its @$$ kicked in that same title...even at 4k.

Soldato

I think its really good to have the reps come on here and be a part of the forums. Obviously the value in this from our point of view is getting information, so whatever you are allowed to put out publicly, please do so.

On the draft pricing of the Strixx - it is a bit of an excessive jump at this range I think. The price point of the 3080 as set by Nvidia is pretty competitive, and that's why I'm thinking of buying one! If the prices are one to two hundred higher then that changes the affordability for me. I'd of course rather buy a good card than a base model but not at any price.

But that said, look forward to seeing more info come out hopefully direct from you reps.

Associate
Two things:
1) The 1% lows don't seem to show a "stuttery mess" for any of the cards. So if the 2080 is limited by its vram, it doesn't crash and burn when it happens.

2) The IGN doom eternal video puts the 3080 against the 2080Ti, which has more vram than the 3080, and the 2080 Ti still gets its @$$ kicked in that same title...even at 4k.

I think HUB have this wrong TBH. Their Doom Eternal 2080 testing is an outlier.

Soldato
Two things:

re 1) Yes, because it doesn't go over the limit too hard & it has enough bandwidth to compensate. Remember, there's a big difference between going 0.5-1GB over the limit, and going 2 GB or more over the limit. The more you have to tax the storage & RAM, the worse the experience will then be. It's not an on/off situation where it's either a complete mess or perfect. There's steps in between.
Plus, the 1% lows aren't enough, you really need a frametime graph ideally. Like how computerbase does it.
ui9hLnC.png
58HrrPB.png

See what I mean? The problem is when the swap happens, not for 100% of the time. So you'll definitely notice it during gameplay, but it might not appear as severely in 1% lows and the like (or averages for that matter).

2) Okay?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom