So Predictable.

Soldato
yeh no ****.
Cable layers have been dragging their heels for years. They will just 'pretend' to be doing something whilst mailing you 'FTTX available now' then you look at the map and the nearest setup is 50 miles away.

Im sure they are enjoying that government funding for doing absolutely nothing to areas outside of a few key cities.

Last edited:
Soldato
While headline speed studies like this are always interesting, Spanish/French broadband is not exactly legendary for its speed and reliability. Also from a network perspective, other than game downloads/software updates, your average user is more likely to stream media than download it, 10Mbit is 10Mbit, it’ll be 10Mbit on a 40Gb pipe the same way it will be on a 40Mbit pipe. What could be more interesting is looking at the slowest 10% of available speeds.

Caporegime
yeh no ****.
Cable layers have been dragging their heels for years. They will just 'pretend' to be doing something whilst mailing you 'FTTH available now' then you look at the map and the nearest setup is 50 miles away.

Im sure they are enjoying that government funding for doing absolutely nothing to areas outside of a few key cities.
What?

Soldato
VM eventually just laid their fibre all around our village. Quite a few people have taken up their services even though they haven't offered any deals to get new villagers to bite.
However, whilst the speeds are much better than any other offering, a lot are complaining about their shoddy service and constant disconnects.
No point in ANYONE bringing great speed without a resilient backbone.

Caporegime
I'm not being an ass, I just have no idea what you're trying to say here, it doesn't reflect reality. Who is getting told they have FTTP available while 50 miles away from the closest deployment?

Our deployment has been incredibly slow and there have been missteps but nobody is getting government funding for 'doing nothing'.

Soldato
Why don't you add your insight into the discussion instead of being an ass?

Probably because like most people who follow industry developments and serviceable property numbers year on year, he didn’t recognise what you said as being even remotely accurate or valid. I mean i’m not saying Donald Trump has a better grip of reality, but it’s close.

Soldato
Probably because like most people who follow industry developments and serviceable property numbers year on year, he didn’t recognise what you said as being even remotely accurate or valid. I mean i’m not saying Donald Trump has a better grip of reality, but it’s close.
So the annual survey and the UK dropping 13 places is BS then. OK got it.

You cant have it both ways...

Soldato
I've lived and worked in most European countries and the general broadband provision in the UK is superb. Yes, there are rural locations that have shocking broadband but in general most people can get FTTC 38Mbps for about £20/month and FTTC 76Mbps for about £30/month. For those lucky enough to get FTTH you can get 900Mbps for £60/month.

I would challenge anyone to go to France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Holland, Belgium or anywhere in Eastern Europe and get that sort of coverage for those prices.

These surveys are very interesting and great for beating up the incumbent government but they simply don't match the reality of real people living in these countries. Now, if they said Singapore or Hong Kong were better then yes, they have highly available 10GbE fibre for buttons.

Caporegime
I agree broadly. My experience is very focused on central London, where a company can sign a lease on some space in a building and their only option for faster than ADSL speeds is a leased line. The building management company will then have their lawyers extract thousands of pounds from that tenant through the process of getting the paperwork together for a wayleave agreement. Those issues can be and need to be solved quickly by legislation, because frankly it's an embarrassment when you have to tell a French company opening a regional office that in London it's going to cost them five grand to get started on having Internet, and then they are going to pay £500 a month for it, where their Paris office is sitting on a symmetric gigabit that they pay under €150 for.

Soldato
So the annual survey and the UK dropping 13 places is BS then. OK got it.

You cant have it both ways...

If you look at the survey data it turns out both the methodology of testing and the number of countries included significantly changed this year, if you don’t appreciate how those two bits of information have major implications to the headline of ‘dropping 13 places’ then faster broadband won’t help.

Soldato
And if you actually look at the raw data they checked 370 IP addresses in the country that was No. 1 and 12.8M in the UK to get their averages. Right.

And all the top ‘nations’ are tiny. Lichtenstein, Gibraltar, Malta, Jersey, Guernsey etc. where the locals are comparatively wealthy and the population compressed. The UK is big (look at it on a real map, not a Mercator projection) with big green areas. Generally, in most cities you can get very fast broadband and anything new being built 100% has fibre or Virgin’s equivalent straight to the door.

We’re not great, and we must do better. We’re not as bad as this makes out though.

From experience working with real people (not office workers) most folks have bad WiFi, not bad broadband.

Soldato
Did you read The Register this morning?

Guilty... I have a particularly sadistic postal person who thinks it’s OK to bang on the door at 7am like the place is being raided/on fire/someone told ‘murica I have oil reserves, I have to pass the time somehow.

Soldato
.... most folks have bad WiFi, not bad broadband.

so, so true. When we got the new cabinet in our village with decent FTTC there was outcry from the villagers who weren't seeing the speed increases they were expecting. I forget how many times I had to explain that their lovely garden office was still 50' and three walls from the AIO router and so maybe they ought to address their WiFi provision. In the end I got so fed up (but wanted to help) that I wrote a five page white paper on why WiFi was a different problem to incoming speed and things to consider fixing it and pinned it in the village facebook group. Our local electrician thanked me because for a few weeks he got lots of jobs commissioned to run ethernet cables around people's properties. :D

Back
Top Bottom