People selling clocked cars - busted! Update 2.

Soldato
That is an entirely different situation...

I would also have told them to set the mileage back to what the old cluster read!

Just for clarification, I did not intend to imply that Ford purposely clocked my car.

Although I did ask about setting the correct reading, they said it couldn't be done.

If memory serves, my options were to install the original dials, or keep the new one with the lower reading.

Caporegime
Has happened forever. Years ago I used to live 105 miles from work and travel back and forwards everyday. AFter 3 years my company car had 185k on the clock and we sold it on cheaply before it was due its MOT.

A few weeks later I got a call from a main dealer saying they had been offered the car as a part ex and the car was in excellent condition and looked genuine for the mileage but want to confirm the mileage that was on it when we sold it as it now had 44k on the clock!

Pet Northerner
Don
I too did
Wow just had a google and the first hit, looks so dodgy but loads of sites seem to be doing it.

If you had a lease car it'd be well worth the £200 to not pay any excess mileage when handing it back :(

https://mileageblocker.com/find-you...-w212-w204-g-wagon-mileage-blocker/v/MRC-W204 - feel free to remove link if it breaks rules as it looks pretty sketchy
not know this was a thing. As someone who's older and learning to drive I'm now super wary of when it comes to buy a car.

I mean the first thing I buy will be a banger, but I would want something better after a few months.

Caporegime
Just for clarification, I did not intend to imply that Ford purposely clocked my car.

Although I did ask about setting the correct reading, they said it couldn't be done.

If memory serves, my options were to install the original dials, or keep the new one with the lower reading.

Sorry I misunderstood / forgot the previous discussion in the thread... :p

Soldato
It's a shame simple OBD2 readers can't pull up all of the mileage data from all of the stored locations. That would probably put a stop to most of it. If you could see they don't all match then you'd know it's been messed with.

Soldato
What on earth. Surely these can be detected via an ecu interrogation?

I think people do sometimes get caught out when they hand it back at the end of a lease etc. But they have to actually bother checking it.

You can't just change the mileage readout and fool a proper diagnostics tool and they can see what has been changed if they dig deep enough.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Wow just had a google and the first hit, looks so dodgy but loads of sites seem to be doing it.

If you had a lease car it'd be well worth the £200 to not pay any excess mileage when handing it back :(

https://mileageblocker.com/find-you...-w212-w204-g-wagon-mileage-blocker/v/MRC-W204 - feel free to remove link if it breaks rules as it looks pretty sketchy
Very common indeed. I find it amazing that anyone could be unaware that the mileage on most modern cars is to be taken with a massive mountain of salt to be honest. Anything ex-lease especially.

Caporegime
OP
I do love this review...

'The best investment i've ever made...'

...was deliberately designed to defraud other people..

Screenshot-20200904-223901-Chrome.jpg

Associate

mileage is still stored in ecu on these vehicles , had a customer 2 years ago who bought a sclass he had problems with dash warning lights , i took dash out and found unit behind clocks just plugs in. he asked for it to be removed and the mileage stayed the same. when he took it to mercedes he asked for them to check the mileage bearing in mind what i found and withing 30 mins they gave him a printout of the true mileage of the vehicle .

it was just under 30k higher than it was displaying. after going back to the garage that sold it him he received compensation from them , and returned the vehicle to mercedes who did a software upgrade and the true mileage reappeared. he was a happy bunny again.

these units only deceive people looking at the displayed mileage.

as i said in another thread if you look close enough with diagnostic equipment you can find all the gremlins, most modern cars log mileage whenever there is a fault and in most electronic units.

as to the focus ford has a policy of not altering the mileage on any new clocks they fit had loads of folk on the galaxy forums with the same problems.

when you pick up your new car from v/w make sure it was supplied on a transporter........because there diagnostic equipment allows them to reset the mileage to zero, 3 times providing it doesnt exceed 99 miles per session...been there and seen it done .

on other extremes peugeot had a problem with 406/407/206/207/307 models where they would add mileage at random i even watched a watchdog program where they confronted peugeot about it.

at the time we had a contract to fit reversing sensors and insurance aftermarket alarms for a few local dealers. remember one particularly nice brand new 307cab still in pre delivery grease we were working on, in 2 hours we had it we did 123 miles in it. even showed the salesman :) everytime you opened the door and the dash lit up it increased the mileage by 3 or 4 miles. he just said it would be delivery mileage and past it off as this made me very wary after that.

Associate
do not use the mileage displayed as proof when buying a car or any vehicle.. always always use your eyes and check the condition matches what it purports to be showing if in doubt take someone along who knows about vehicles and preferably the make your buying an extra pair of eyes is always useful.
number of times ive asked did you check the service book to be faced with blank expressions is ridiculous, well the colour looked nice ....

Soldato
mileage is still stored in ecu on these vehicles , had a customer 2 years ago who bought a sclass he had problems with dash warning lights , i took dash out and found unit behind clocks just plugs in. he asked for it to be removed and the mileage stayed the same. when he took it to mercedes he asked for them to check the mileage bearing in mind what i found and withing 30 mins they gave him a printout of the true mileage of the vehicle .

it was just under 30k higher than it was displaying. after going back to the garage that sold it him he received compensation from them , and returned the vehicle to mercedes who did a software upgrade and the true mileage reappeared. he was a happy bunny again.

these units only deceive people looking at the displayed mileage.

as i said in another thread if you look close enough with diagnostic equipment you can find all the gremlins, most modern cars log mileage whenever there is a fault and in most electronic units.

as to the focus ford has a policy of not altering the mileage on any new clocks they fit had loads of folk on the galaxy forums with the same problems.

when you pick up your new car from v/w make sure it was supplied on a transporter........because there diagnostic equipment allows them to reset the mileage to zero, 3 times providing it doesnt exceed 99 miles per session...been there and seen it done .

on other extremes peugeot had a problem with 406/407/206/207/307 models where they would add mileage at random i even watched a watchdog program where they confronted peugeot about it.

at the time we had a contract to fit reversing sensors and insurance aftermarket alarms for a few local dealers. remember one particularly nice brand new 307cab still in pre delivery grease we were working on, in 2 hours we had it we did 123 miles in it. even showed the salesman :) everytime you opened the door and the dash lit up it increased the mileage by 3 or 4 miles. he just said it would be delivery mileage and past it off as this made me very wary after that.

The lesson here is never buy a Peugeot :D

OcUK Staff
Giving a modern car a haircut is rife and generally easy.

Lots of Ferrari’s get hair cuts and it is only detectable by Ferrari’s diagnostics computers, also same issue across other exotic brands and regular cars too.

Why it’s always good to buy approved and to even straight up ask the question can you confirm the car is not clocked etc.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Getting harder to do though.

Current generation BMWs will pop a CEL if there is a mismatch between the mileage from the Engine ECU and Cluster
You just need an updated can blocker for BMWs with software post 2019, they are widely available and definitely work...

This is one of those tit for tat wars which will be never ending. It’s not as if it a new thing, 30 years ago people used to wind the odo back manually, it has always happened and always will.

Back
Top Bottom