Suggestions for a small car for new teenage driver?

Man of Honour
My daughter will be old enough to start driving soon. My son will be too in a few years. We currently have a few cars including Peugeot 206 diesel which I inherited last year and my wife and I use as a shed car which we can park anywhere. But the 206 is really on its last legs. So I am thinking of replacing it with something else which my wife and daughter would use and my son could in the future.

So I'm looking for:

Small. It won't need to fit the whole family
2 or 4 door
Manual
Petrol preferred
Cheap to service and maintain
Likely to be cheaper to insure for my daughter (I appreciate nothing will be cheap)
£3k to £5k

I'm open to suggestions. My daughter would love a Mini but when I was looking at them a few years ago they seemed a little unreliable and expensive to maintain, especially at this price point. Again I appreciate that not much at this price point will be guaranteed reliable.

Thank you.

Man of Honour
Check around on the insurance - sometimes small cars aren't ideal because the insurance is crazy compared to something a little bigger - especially for younger people but it can be really hit and miss as well - sometimes very similar small cars can be oddly different to insure.

(Sometimes it is just odd - a GT-R would cost me 1/3rd the price to insure of a Honda Jazz! - I have no idea why)

Underboss
Check around on the insurance - sometimes small cars aren't ideal because the insurance is crazy compared to something a little bigger - especially for younger people but it can be really hit and miss as well - sometimes very similar small cars can be oddly different to insure.

(Sometimes it is just odd - a GT-R would cost me 1/3rd the price to insure of a Honda Jazz! - I have no idea why)

this is true, it is because there are "less" of them, so "less" accidents on a GT-R (for example

i can get insurance on a Ferrari for LESS than a Fiesta !

Soldato
Depends on how interested in cars she is, I'd consider the following based on what she likes the look of:

Yaris
Corsa
Jazz
Fiat 500
Micra

Associate
Personally I'd say avoid the likes of a fiesta and a corsa and go for an older focus or astra, reasoning being 80% of new young drivers tend to go for these and as such, insurance is usually extortionate. You'll get an older 1.8 focus really cheap, it wont be any faster than a modern fiesta, barely much bigger, respectable mpg (i got ~30 when i had one.) and the insurance could* be a lot cheaper.

*obviously do quotes before buying, but you could be surprised choosing a bigger engine focus over a smaller engine fiesta.

Soldato
Soldato
Personally I'd say avoid the likes of a fiesta and a corsa and go for an older focus or astra, reasoning being 80% of new young drivers tend to go for these and as such, insurance is usually extortionate. You'll get an older 1.8 focus really cheap, it wont be any faster than a modern fiesta, barely much bigger, respectable mpg (i got ~30 when i had one.) and the insurance could* be a lot cheaper.

*obviously do quotes before buying, but you could be surprised choosing a bigger engine focus over a smaller engine fiesta.
From my experience, this cheaper insurance for less popular cars idea works in theory but not in practice

Associate
From my experience, this cheaper insurance for less popular cars idea works in theory but not in practice
Depends on the car i suppose, it worked for me. Going from a 1.8 Focus to an RX8 it came down by a third. The RX8 was newer and double the power, same NCB, no claims/convictions but how many do you actually see on the road.

Cant hurt to check atleast

Back
Top Bottom