New Dell IPS S2721DGF 165hz gaming monitor

Associate
Do bear in mind when you throw up a black screen on the native contrast on the Nano Cell panels is lower than a typical IPS. Most IPS screens you see online can vary from 900-1200:! while the Nano Cells are typically 700-780:1 so things do look a little worse. All IPS greens will have glow, the pixel behaviour lets back light through and cameras do make it worse, even in the two here you can tell it's overexposure. I did measure a GL83A at just under 900:1 but most of the 850's I've seen have been worse and this is mainly down to the poor black output.

Soldato
Do bear in mind when you throw up a black screen on the native contrast on the Nano Cell panels is lower than a typical IPS. Most IPS screens you see online can vary from 900-1200:! while the Nano Cells are typically 700-780:1 so things do look a little worse. All IPS greens will have glow, the pixel behaviour lets back light through and cameras do make it worse, even in the two here you can tell it's overexposure. I did measure a GL83A at just under 900:1 but most of the 850's I've seen have been worse and this is mainly down to the poor black output.

Yeh, mine has a bit of glow, but I can only see it in a dark room with a black screen - trying to take a photo is very difficult as the camera either wont pick it up at all, or massively make it look worse than it looks to the naked eye..

Associate
Ordered from DELL UK site, anyone know how long it takes to dispatch? Ordered 3rd Sept, says will deliver by 21st Sept! :eek:
I ordered mine on August 21st (my estimated date of arrival was by September 2nd) - but ended up being delivered on August 24th. I just kept my eyes on the UPS tracking :)

Associate
How long did it take to dispatch? just says processing at the moment.

Looking back at the UPS shipment progress, "label created" happened on the 21st August at 8:01pm and it shows "shipped" on the 21st August at 6:48pm? Not sure how that works out but yeah, that's how my experience went :p

Associate
Ordered from DELL UK site, anyone know how long it takes to dispatch? Ordered 3rd Sept, says will deliver by 21st Sept! :eek:

I am in the same boat as you, as I also ordered from Dell UK website on 3rd September and current esimate delivery is 21st Septemeber.

I think they are out of stock of the S2721DGF so waiting for new stock.

Soldato
I have a S3220DGF and I am very happy with it.

I have a particularly shallow desk so my S2716DG sits about 75cm away, not sure if too close for 32"
I have a S3220DGF and I am very happy with it.

Did you upgrade from an older monitor? I'm thinking of going from 27" 1440p 144hz TN to this, how is the monitor?

Last edited:
Associate
It's the S716DG, but it's not so much an upgrade as in my parents need a new monitor, the old one broke. So it's either buy a cheap thing, or re purpose mine and upgrade.

My bad, just re-read your reply and noticed you already said which it was :p

I upgraded to the S2721DGF from the S2719DGF which is also a 144Hz (155Hz via overclock) TN panel, and I have to say - the colour on this IPS panel is phenomenal. I have absolutely no noticable backlight bleed/IPS glow (unless I turn the room light off and have something dark taking up the whole screen). I'm still using the S2719 as a secondary monitor but it's a worthwhile upgrade I'd say. Rtings currently have the S2721DGF in testing, then it will go to early access for 3-5 days and the review should be live, and they're pretty solid for tests. Apparently the S2721DGF uses the same panel as the LG 27GL850 and that is currently up on Rtings.

Soldato
I'd be really interested in a proper review... I like the screen a lot, but I upgraded from a bog standard 60hz 27" 1080p tn screen so it would have course be a decent improvement for me.

Associate
Just noticed the deliver dates aren't until around 25th september, is that right? or are they likely to be delivered sooner?

Looking for a decent 1440p fast refresh rate (ie a good gaming screen) for under 400, IPS would be and good color would be ideal.

Just sent a AOC 'Gaming Monitor' AOC Q27G2U/BK 27 back for being absolutely awful, worse than a gaming(120hz) tn lcd from years ago.

Soldato
Just noticed the deliver dates aren't until around 25th september, is that right? or are they likely to be delivered sooner?

Looking for a decent 1440p fast refresh rate (ie a good gaming screen) for under 400, IPS would be and good color would be ideal.

Just sent a AOC 'Gaming Monitor' AOC Q27G2U/BK 27 back for being absolutely awful, worse than a gaming(120hz) tn lcd from years ago.

Mine said similar but it arrived next day. I think they are giving long delivery times on purpose as stock levels vary, logistics due to covid etc, its a new model, so they are just setting expectations I think so no one can moan if it takes a week or two.

Associate
Getting this for around £331 with my student discounts.

I currently have the S2417DG, is this going to be worth the upgrade? Would like the bigger screen for work/uni work and of course gaming :D

Associate
Getting this for around £331 with my student discounts.

I currently have the S2417DG, is this going to be worth the upgrade? Would like the bigger screen for work/uni work and of course gaming :D

I got it to replace my S2719DGF which is also a TN panel. Looking at the S2719DGF and S2417DG side by side on Rtings, the colours etc. seem to be similar - and it was a hugely noticable difference to me getting the S2721DGF, and personally I think £331 for this monitor is an absolute steal. The colours are fantastic and makes me wonder why I let myself get used to colours being washed out :p

Back
Top Bottom