• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
It's a excellent choice if you play only games that predate next gen console games.
It's a horrific idea if you plan on playing next gen console ported games.

It's really that simple.

It's catch 22. If game devs don't adopt the new tech, then 10GB VRAM is going to be a problem quickly. If they do, then 10GB should suffice for years to come. It's kind of a leap of faith, and I can't help but feel like it's planned to get us to panic and go for the 3090.

Caporegime
PCI-E bandwidth will probably also be an issue for next generation ports, I'd imagine they'll have a lot of physics and stuff being shared between CPU and GPU which on the consoles is not such a big bottleneck. I think by the time 20GB+ of video memory is needed people will want a GPU with a faster PCI-E anyway. If you'd rather have the extra VRAM now though just buy 3090? I think with 3080 NVidia have delivered a fairly well balanced card.

Soldato
PCI-E bandwidth will probably also be an issue for next generation ports, I'd imagine they'll have a lot of physics and stuff being shared between CPU and GPU which on the consoles is not such a big bottleneck. I think by the time 20GB+ of video memory is needed people will want a GPU with a faster PCI-E anyway. If you'd rather have the extra VRAM now though just buy 3090?
Or....or....
Just wait until Nvidia drop these rumored TI variants with more memory
Buy Console
Wait to see what RDNA 2 offers.

There better options then just pay $1500 for a video card.

Associate
It's a excellent choice if you play only games that predate next gen console games.
It's a horrific idea if you plan on playing next gen console ported games.

It's really that simple.

It's really not. Next gen games are unlikely to use more than 10GB of video memory, and while they will be able to load more data relatively quickly from disk, so will PCs. Plus the 3080 is likely to have about 3x the raw teraflops of either of the next gen consoles so...

All in all I'd say that's probably nonsense.

Caporegime
Or....or....
Just wait until Nvidia drop these rumored TI variants with more memory
Buy Console
Wait to see what RDNA 2 offers.

There better options then just pay $1500 for a video card.

I would recommend everyone get a next gen console imo PC gaming is not what it used to be and will only continue to decline but you could be waiting forever in the PC hardware industry. I'd be surprised if AMD beat 3080 let alone 3090 no matter how much memory they include.

By the time TI comes out a newer PCI-E version might be more of a necessity than 20GB, who knows.

Soldato
I would recommend everyone get a next gen console imo PC gaming is not what it used to be and will only continue to decline but you could be waiting forever in the PC hardware industry. I'd be surprised if AMD beat 3080 let alone 3090 no matter how much memory they include.

By the time TI comes out a newer PCI-E version might be more of a necessity than 20GB, who knows.
Flight simulation on a console is beyond laughable. 'Gaming' isn't just fortnight and other crap.

UEX

UEX

Associate
Sorry to question yall's genius, but nvidia are not going to launch a touted "navi killer" with about 4gb too little ram. What are you all? idiots? Yeah nvidia, a graphics card manufacturer. Basically JUST a graphics card manufacturer. Went "oh hey lets release, at great expense, a top end graphics card, but lets give it 1gb less ram than before and 4gb ram too little, for fun."

Why do you kids not get that the people who do this are EXPERTS. This is all they do. They arent going to spec up a piece of hardware and then have missed something that a kid on a forum didnt. The requirements of vram are plain to see in the 3090 spec, its a necessity for 8k realtime. The 3080 and 70 are poised for top end 4k gaming and have been optimised for that

Caporegime
What are you all? idiots?

Idiot checking in.

I think the point is that because as you say nVidia are experts, they have evaluated the profit-maximising blend of memory, retail price, and current competition and have made a decision based on this, with other options no doubt in the bank for when AMD release RDNA2 gamer cards.

That said I personally don't think 10GB will be a problem. Everyone that reckons it will be cites reported game usage as their source.

UEX

UEX

Associate
Idiot checking in.

I think the point is that because as you say nVidia are experts, they have evaluated the profit-maximising blend of memory, retail price, and current competition and have made a decision based on this, with other options no doubt in the bank for when AMD release RDNA2 gamer cards.

Sure and of course that is the case. but the argument here is that the 10gb of ram will make the card in some way inferior to the 11gb of the 1080ti/2080ti which CLEARLY it wont. If the 11gb made a big diff over the 10gb then they would have give the 3080 12Gb. The cost just isnt that high. imo as an old gamer its very naiive to think that a company would be so uninformed on the technology that they would do something that was nothing but obviously wrong to an uneducated onlooker. Yes they will increase vram on future versions of the card, however the 10Gb specced for the 3080 will 100% cover anything that is required at 4k

Associate
What are you all? idiots?
Another idiot checking in here.

Exactly as above nv are doing the bare minimum in terms of ram to ensure you upgrade later. Did you watch the hwub video? With doom eternal at nightmare settings the 2080 already gets beaten by the 1080ti in 4k due to lack of ram.

UEX

UEX

Associate
Another idiot checking in here.

Exactly as above nv are doing the bare minimum in terms of ram to ensure you upgrade later. Did you watch the hwub video? With doom eternal at nightmare settings the 2080 already gets beaten by the 1080ti in 4k due to lack of ram.
And is the 2080 a 3080? What im saying is, given that particular fact you are suggesting that the nvidia team either didnt know that (they did) or didnt care (they do). This assertion is still that Nvidia is deliberately making their cards bad and i cant fathom why you all think they would do this?

Gux

Gux

Associate
Sorry to question yall's genius, but nvidia are not going to launch a touted "navi killer" with about 4gb too little ram. What are you all? idiots? Yeah nvidia, a graphics card manufacturer. Basically JUST a graphics card manufacturer. Went "oh hey lets release, at great expense, a top end graphics card, but lets give it 1gb less ram than before and 4gb ram too little, for fun."

Why do you kids not get that the people who do this are EXPERTS. This is all they do. They arent going to spec up a piece of hardware and then have missed something that a kid on a forum didnt. The requirements of vram are plain to see in the 3090 spec, its a necessity for 8k realtime. The 3080 and 70 are poised for top end 4k gaming and have been optimised for that

Why is Nvidia then planning on releasing GPU's with double the memory for both 3070 & 3080? When was the last time that has happened in any previous generations?

Even Nvidia know that 8GB/10GB isn't going to cut it much longer at 4K. We already have games out today that are getting close or already hitting this limit.

AMD are also planning on releasing multiple cards with more than 10GB of VRAM. Jeez I wonder why....

Soldato
And is the 2080 a 3080? What im saying is, given that particular fact you are suggesting that the nvidia team either didnt know that (they did) or didnt care (they do). This assertion is still that Nvidia is deliberately making their cards bad and i cant fathom why you all think they would do this?
Are you ruling out bigger vram cards coming out from nvidia in the 30xx lineup?

Associate
This assertion is still that Nvidia is deliberately making their cards bad and i cant fathom why you all think they would do this?
Not bad- just good enough. If you asked someone 2 years ago who bought a 2080 (for $800) if they would be running out of ram 18 months later in aaa title i bet they would have said not a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom