What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
last night - hadn't seen Jet Li's Cradle to grave II before , But like IP-Man too, this has some great seemless fight scenes
Jet Li - Cradle To The Grave Cage Fight scene

First half had loads of things happening and I didn't know why
my gotos for cerebral plots - requiring multiple watches - Molly's Game, and the big short, if I had a degree in gambling/shares they'd be more approachable.

Soldato
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai (1999)
An African-American Mafia hit man who models himself after the samurai of old finds himself targeted for death by the mob. With Forest Whitaker.

I thought this was strangely brilliant. Days after watching it I still feel mesmerised for some reason. It's one of those films you will either enjoy or not, it certainly is different. Forest narrates his teachings through the eastern philosophy he has learnt as he takes on the mafia. I felt as though the film tried to do a few things but didn't excel in either one of them - we learn of his admirable friendship with a French ice cream truck guy and a little girl. Also his relationship with one mafioso and the mafia family themselves. We have a movie that doesn't spend enough time fleshing out any of these stories but it still comes away with a good 8.5/10 for me.

Caporegime
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai (1999)
An African-American Mafia hit man who models himself after the samurai of old finds himself targeted for death by the mob. With Forest Whitaker.

Man, I love that movie. I picked up, and read, the Hagakure and Rashomon because of it. His relationship with the French ice cream seller is pure genius.

Soldato
Watching 'High Score' on Netflix at the moment, which is quite fun, looking back at how video games started back in the '80's. Very nostalgic for those of a certain age :)

Brilliant! I've been wanting to see that one for ages, I'll watch that this afternoon :)

I've really enjoyed the others like King of Kong : A Fistful of Quarters, Man Vs Snake and Ecstasy of Order : The Tetris Masters

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Demolition Man - 7.5/10

The cast are great. You've got young Sandra Bullock, Denis Leary playing Denis Leary, Nigel Hawthorne. Stallone doing his usual thing. Wesley Snipes giving a perfectly unhinged performance. Yeah, the story only barely hangs on in there. More needed to be made of what happened to John Spartan's family (in the novelisation, you find out that his now-adult daughter is one of the underground dwellers). Some of the satire only vaguely works - and the makers of the film clearly thought some of it would be much funnier than it ended up being.

But what the hell - it's a fun movie.

Soldato
OP
Freaks - You're one of us - Netflix - German Film - 7/10

A small scale German superpowers movie. Obviously these are almost as frequent as the big budget Superhero movies now (maybe minus the German part) but this was still a decent watch. It's a cross of Chronicle, Kick-Ass, even Super and probably several other lower key Super film's. But I was entertained, strangely, some of the effects were terrible and some were really good. Lead actress is a cross of Amy Adams and Rebecca Ferguson imo.

Associate
The New Mutants (2020) - 7/10

Good down to earth plot which is a little lackluster overall, but is well balanced and has a good (if predictable) ending.

The special effects look great and fit both in with the plot and some primal fears, but they are not particularly scary and the film lacks tension or suspense.

The darker subject matters are dealt with quite well and there is a good cast of characters who are well acted, although a little too cliché in parts and there should have been a bit more time building up who they are.

Soldato
Fear - 6.5/10

Think it said it was from 1996. Never heard of it until I saw it on the Netflix Coming Soon section. Features a very young Mark Wahlberg and Reese Witherspoon.

It did hold my attention for the most part and if it was ever on TV and there wasn't a better movie on then I would probably watch it. I guess the trouble is now that there are quite a few movies with similar story lines - girl meets boy, boy turns out to be not quite such a good guy after all, and most tend to have more intensity to the lead up to things taking a turn I.e. It gets dragged out a little longer and you're left thinking "is he a bad guy or is he good?"

The characters true identity is revealed straight away really and the movie was a bit predictable in places.

@CaptainRAVE agreed. You can't beat The Goonies :D

Soldato
The Karate Kid - I forgot how awesome this film was. The 80s had the best films.

Going through some older films with my kids atm, (16 and 14).

Tonight was Blazing Saddles - not one smile was cracked from them.

Watched:

Star Wars trilogy
The Matrix
Inception
Forrest Gump
Groundhog Day
Little Shop of Horrors
Ferris Beuller/Wargames
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Back to the Future
Gremlins
The Goonies - still amazing.
The Last Starfighter - not as good as i remember :(
Bill and Ted 1 - 3
Beetlejuice - awesome, but not as much BJ as i remembered!!
Flight of the Navigator
Naked Gun/Airplane
Karate Kid
Time Bandits
Little Shop of Horrors
Big - not as good as i remember :(
ET - kids didn't rate it :(
The Princess Bride
Stardust
Who Framed Roger Rabbit - same scenes that scared me, scared the kids :)
The Mask
Ace Ventura - kids didn't rate it :(
Clue - great!
Mannequin

To watch:

Seven
Shutter Island
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Die Hard
The Shawshank Redemption
Alien/Aliens
Ghostbusters
Goodwill Hunting
Gladiator
Schindlers List
Monty Python The Life of Brian/The Holy Grail
The Usual Suspects
The Breakfast Club
It's a Wonderful Life
The Lost Boys - not sure about this one at their age
Dead Poets Society

Soldato
Going through some older films with my kids atm, (16 and 14).

Tonight was Blazing Saddles - not one smile was cracked from them.

Watched:

Star Wars trilogy
The Matrix
Inception
Forrest Gump
Groundhog Day
Little Shop of Horrors
Ferris Beuller/Wargames
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Back to the Future
Gremlins
The Goonies - still amazing.
The Last Starfighter - not as good as i remember :(
Bill and Ted 1 - 3
Beetlejuice - awesome, but not as much BJ as i remembered!!
Flight of the Navigator
Naked Gun/Airplane
Karate Kid
Time Bandits
Little Shop of Horrors
Big - not as good as i remember :(
ET - kids didn't rate it :(
The Princess Bride
Stardust
Who Framed Roger Rabbit - same scenes that scared me, scared the kids :)
The Mask
Ace Ventura - kids didn't rate it :(
Clue - great!
Mannequin

To watch:

Seven
Shutter Island
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Die Hard
The Shawshank Redemption
Alien/Aliens
Ghostbusters
Goodwill Hunting
Gladiator
Schindlers List
Monty Python The Life of Brian/The Holy Grail
The Usual Suspects
The Breakfast Club
It's a Wonderful Life
The Lost Boys - not sure about this one at their age
Dead Poets Society
I want to watch Blazing Saddles with my two (17 and 14), did you talk to them about it first or just stick it on?

I have also watched most of the others you have listed with my two, there was a period where every time I walked into the lounge Airplane was on, absolute classic.

I am also looking forwards to watching Shawshank and Usual Suspects especially but feel that while they are definitely old enough to watch, they are not mature enough to appreciate.

Soldato
I want to watch Blazing Saddles with my two (17 and 14), did you talk to them about it first or just stick it on?

Had a chat first, glad we did, from the opening scenes it's N this and N that and doesn't relent!

I also recall having tears watching the bean scene - but nothing from them :(

Back
Top Bottom