• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Most of the effect you see on DLSS is the edge detection and sharpening of edges. This why it looks better and is compared to TAA/FXAA which are generally softer than a native image, especially the edges. It's the same effect when people look at pictures from a phone/compact when compared to native ILC output and the former looks "better". It's the post processing you see in play and Nvidia knows this very well.It's the same reason why digital used to look better than even higher resolution film at the start. That "sharpness" which is localised contrast enhancement is very perceivable by human vision,even if there is actually less detail. It's why certain things like USM are very useful tricks in photography. There are other computer tricks which also work very well with out vision.For instance almost all digital sensors are black and white with a RGBG colour filter on top - 2:1:1 green to blue to red. So each pixel you see is one colour and the other two are predicted. The green bias is there because human vision is biased towards green. To reduce colour artefacts most sensors have a filter over the top which slightly blurs the image on purpose.

DLSS is itself normal upscaling especially in the latest version,but what is clever is that I suspect it is being trained on a per scene basis. So what you probably have is it switching to scene optimised upscaling algorithms.

The first version of DLSS was actually meant to be tailored per game but from my experience of seeing how machine learning works I did tell others here it would take too long to have support in games, because of the amount of training required.

Moving to a more generalised way was probably the better way forward.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
However, aslong as NVIDIA are smart and work with the games which will likely need DLSS (aka the most demanding games which are cutting edge like Cyperpunk) then its absolutely worth it.

Yeah they are adept in their machine, and those big hitters like cyberpunk will bag them many punters. I also think the noise cancelling thing is really good, I would use that for sure.

Soldato
People are on a massive Ampere hype trip right now, its the Leather Jacket effect, as soon as he opens his mouth apparently rational people completely lose touch with reality, look at JayZ2Cents and LTT Ampere reveal follow-up videos, they look like deranged sycophants, people are selling their 2080TI's in droves at a third or less of what they paid for them.

This RTG guy is in the same camp, he's completely lost touch with reality.

PMSL, I much prefer this new humbug. :)

Soldato
Any chance of a TLDR summary buddy, tired and going bed? :)

He thinks Big Navi(Navi 21) will be slightly faster than a RTX3080,board power of around 275W,the GPU will probably be under 2GHZ and it will use HBM2. He also goes on about how AMD can't design proper stock coolers and should get their AIB to design it for them,and how AMD can't seem to get performance drivers out for at least 3~6 months after launch,and leaves performance on the table.

Caporegime
He thinks Big Navi(Navi 21) will be slightly faster than a RTX3080,board power of around 275W,the GPU will probably be under 2GHZ and it will use HBM2. He also goes on about how AMD can't design proper stock coolers and should get their AIB to design it for them,and how AMD can't seem to get performance drivers out for at least 3~6 months after launch,and leaves performance on the table.

AMD's problem with coolers probably stems from their voltage situation with cards coming out of the box with more voltage than needed. If they were more able to fine tune their core voltages rather than every card having a higher voltage than needed then it would probably be easier to design a cooler that's more efficient, vs what they currently do which seems to be cranking up the rpm to cover all their bases.

Still, be interesting to see what the stock coolers are this time around, a dual fan one was hinted at a few months back in a video iirc.

Soldato
AMD problem with coolers probably stems from their voltage situation with cards coming out of the box with more voltage than needed. If they were more able to fine tune their core voltages rather than every card having a higher voltage than needed then it would probably be easier to design a cooler that's more efficient, vs what they currently do which seems to be cranking up the rpm to cover all their bases.

That is what I think too - hopefully they can learn some tricks from their CPU division!

Soldato

Wouldnt be able to disagree with that. :D

Caporegime
Sapphire design AMD's PCB's, why not the coolers too?

Dunno, a blower fan is generally a setup that works for every setup. There was an interview with Scott Herkelman who talked about them being close to not using a blower at one point before the 5700 launched. It was down to consistent performance and the case not playing as big a factor as it would with axial fans.

45 minute mark.

Soldato
Yes, according to NVIDIA and their dodgey benchmarks.

I fully expect a manufacturer to cherry-pick and promote the best-case scenarios for their products. However, I can't think of any $500 card that could beat a 2080Ti in a game before the 3000 series....regardless of how many cherries were picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom