Which MB of these? Or?

Associate
Hey guys, it’s upgrade time for me, picking up a 10900k and one of the new 30 series cards, I need a £300ish board with plenty of USB’s, a couple of M.2’s, 6 SATA’s and just in case it actually works out with PCIe Gen 4 support, so far I’ve got these, what do people think.

Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra

MSI Meg Z490 Unify

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Also just discovered that a number of people are having issues with the Gigabyte boards when they attach a graphics card it’s not booting or something, anyone heard of this?

Soldato
There doesn’t seem to be a Aorus Pro AC with the Z490 chipset, there is an AX version for £250.

Sorry, my bad. Getting confused with Elite and Pro visions. Elite version now out of stock for £200

Also just discovered that a number of people are having issues with the Gigabyte boards when they attach a graphics card it’s not booting or something, anyone heard of this?

Post up links. Gigabyte has a rep on here via @GIGA-Man . Very active . Finding out issues can then lead them to getting solved.
Only one I know on this forum is on b350 or 450 using APU

Soldato
It's a lot to spend on a CPU/MB that you may find gets outclassed by AMDs 4000 CPUs in gaming just a few weeks from now, also to get gen 4 support you would have to upgrade the CPU to Intel rocket lake when they are released but they are rumoured only have 8 cores max so would be more of a downgrade.

Associate
OP
It's a lot to spend on a CPU/MB that you may find gets outclassed by AMDs 4000 CPUs in gaming just a few weeks from now, also to get gen 4 support you would have to upgrade the CPU to Intel rocket lake when they are released but they are rumoured only have 8 cores max so would be more of a downgrade.

Intel still has the lead in gaming performance not just in FPS but frame rate stability, and that’s all I really care about, I doubt if AMD manage to surpass Intel in gaming it will be by much and I’m not doing any work type stuff where those extra cores on the AMD side I know would make a difference

I also know about the fact I will have to change CPU in the future to unlock the PCIE Gen 4 capabilities of the board, I’m just given myself the choice in the future of not needing to also change motherboard as well if I decide it matters.

Associate
OP
Sorry, my bad. Getting confused with Elite and Pro visions. Elite version now out of stock for £200

Post up links. Gigabyte has a rep on here via @GIGA-Man . Very active . Finding out issues can then lead them to getting solved.
Only one I know on this forum is on b350 or 450 using APU

There’s complaints about the issue on Amazon and here for example on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabyte/c..._source=amp&utm_medium=&utm_content=post_body with some people being able to fix it with bios flash but others not being able to fix it.

Soldato
Associate
Unless you're a pigeon the fps difference is marginal -> https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10900k/15.html same for 1440p and 4k on the next 2 pages. Just wondering where your seeing frame rate stability, seems like a woo term or am I blind and missing it on reviews?
It was just a guess I'm not sure where he's getting his information but there's no denying the currently driver at the top is Intel. Yes it's marginal but still there. Real world it won't matter ofcourse.

Soldato
It was just a guess I'm not sure where he's getting his information but there's no denying the currently driver at the top is Intel. Yes it's marginal but still there. Real world it won't matter ofcourse.
It is but then you need a powerful Gpu and a 1080p monitor to take advantage of the few extra FPS. I don't think many people buying that sort of hardware would be playing at 1080p unless your big into Fps shooters.

Also with zen 3 on the way in a few weeks bringing a 20% improvement we might be seeing a changing on the guard at the top end so imo it's worth waiting a few weeks to see unless you desperatly need a PC right now as you either don't have one or your current PC is a real spud.

Associate
It is but then you need a powerful Gpu and a 1080p monitor to take advantage of the few extra FPS. I don't think many people buying that sort of hardware would be playing at 1080p unless your big into Fps shooters.

Also with zen 3 on the way in a few weeks bringing a 20% improvement we might be seeing a changing on the guard at the top end so imo it's worth waiting a few weeks to see unless you desperatly need a PC right now as you either don't have one or your current PC is a real spud.

I keep hearing numbers thrown around on their increase anything from 10 to 15 % now 20%

Hardware is fun. I say if op wants to get his 10900k it's likley best to just offer advice based on that rather than just tell him to wait becuse ryzen.

Back
Top Bottom