• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I still don’t get why people feel the need to install their whole steam library. Just install what you are playing. 1tb should be plenty for that for most surely?
you would think so but many of us now have so many games we are spoiled for choice and want to play them straight away and maybe having to wait due to slow internet to dl a game might not bother lol first world problems eh :p
i recently bought a dirt cheap chinese 2tb ssd off the rainforest just for games myself even though i have sufficient storage

Caporegime
I still don’t get why people feel the need to install their whole steam library. Just install what you are playing. 1tb should be plenty for that for most surely?

Between COD and Flight sim, you won't have much room left! Also if you have slow internet (I'm on 20) it can take literal days to download games now, even more so if you share a house and can't use all the bandwidth during the day.

350GB between the two alone!

Associate
Really on the fence.. wondering if it's worth it to buy PCI gen 4 ssds even though I have a gen 3 board, as I will probably upgrade when the new amd or intels come out.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Between COD and Flight sim, you won't have much room left! Also if you have slow internet (I'm on 20) it can take literal days to download games now, even more so if you share a house and can't use all the bandwidth during the day.

350GB between the two alone!
Lol. So you pick the two biggest games as an example but majority of games are much smaller. And you would have 650gb left for those :p

Yea, I keep forgetting that some people still have slow connections. I am on 108mb and could have 10x that speed if I was happy to pay for it. Also I only play a handful of games at a time so even if all were huge like you say, it would still fit 1tb. Once I have completed said game or had enough I delete and worse case can leave pc to download overnight the next game that takes my fancy. But truth be told I would have dozens of games installed to fill 1tb as huge games like the examples you give are not common. Most are 5-30gb range.

Caporegime
its bit stupid but
its noise difference
read it from right to left at any one time the 3080 is 20db quieter

pits not though. It’s more massaging by nvidia, there is a certain point where if you had let your 2080 card get to 1120 or 120c then at the same temp the new 3080 would be 20db quieter.
That gap closes as you get to normal and sensible operating temps and fan speed.

the reality is with both cards under load and at 80c the 3080 is going to be on,y 5db quieter or it’s going to be the same noise and 5c cooler.

Caporegime
Lol. So you pick the two biggest games as an example but majority of games are much smaller. And you would have 650gb left for those :p

Yea, I keep forgetting that some people still have slow connections. I am on 108mb and could have 10x that speed if I was happy to pay for it. Also I only play a handful of games at a time so even if all were huge like you say, it would still fit 1tb. Once I have completed said game or had enough I delete and worse case can leave pc to download overnight the next game that takes my fancy. But truth be told I would have dozens of games installed to fill 1tb as huge games like the examplease you give are not common. Most are 5-30gb range.

I agree, it's just two of the most popular games at the moment.

Most of my installed games are multi player games, and the odd game I play now and then to try and complete. My 500gb SSD is full and I have COD on a spiney drive. So with 1tb I'd be fine. But games are getting bigger and will continue to do so.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I agree, it's just two of the most popular games at the moment.

Most of my installed games are multi player games, and the odd game I play now and then to try and complete. My 500gb SSD is full and I have COD on a spiney drive. So with 1tb I'd be fine. But games are getting bigger and will continue to do so.
Yep, so in 2-3 years one gets a 2tb one :)

I have 1tb Samsung NVME and 280GB Intel Optane. Since I picked up the Optane I don’t really use the Samsung for anything gaming as all 5 games I have install take less than 100gb on my Optane :D

The Samsung NVME is waiting for huge games like Flight Simulator etc for when I buy a new graphics card to run it.
It's more 60gb average unless you playing 10 year old games.
Did play a few somewhat recent ones that were like 15-20gb as I recall. But yeah lately there are many in the 60gb range you are right. Still that a lot of games that would fit 1tb then :D

Soldato

Is it just me that's getting a bit annoyed with NVidia promoting 4K and 8K performance figures when they're actually nothing of the sort and just lower resolutions upscaled via DLSS?

Yes I know that DLSS can often provide similar or even slightly superior results to native but not in all cases and it's not a general panacea.

Just feels like a marketing stunt and rather disingenuous.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Fixed :D
The directstorage RTX IO won't be out on pc until 2022 anyway.
Haha. Say next gen ones are 100gb on average. That still 10 games. I never play 10 games in one go. 5-6 at most, usually less though. I can see my current storage being enough for 5 years at least :D

But fair enough others have slow internet.

Is it just me that's getting a bit annoyed with NVidia promoting 4K and 8K performance figures when they're actually nothing of the sort and just lower resolutions upscaled via DLSS?

Yes I know that DLSS can often provide similar or even slightly superior results to native but not in all cases and it's not a general panacea.

Their marketing is awesome. Look they got people handing over extra £800 for around 20% extra performance.

Also out of those 11 games only 4 are using DLSS.

Not being an apologist for them by the way. But Nvidia being disingenuous is a well known thing. Did you forget the 970 fiasco?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Well we have pointed this out in various guises in the threads, only to be flamed down in the drone of trumpeters. DLSS if your not careful is making you think it is better, if the game doesn't support it you have to drop down to regular gameplay which in the analysis coming through now is showing you a distorted chart of performance. Just be careful as its looking like the 3070 isn't quite a 2080Ti beater, and in fact some people might see a worse experience if they panic sold and picked one up.

Associate
Anyone recommend this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...lar-power-supply-cp-9020180-uk-ca-23v-cs.html

u_10191070.jpg

Associate
Nvidia IO solution not as robust as the next gen consoles it seems, or at least not nearly as performant as the PS5's, as RTXIO uses software running on the GPU to do the decompression (within the Streaming Multiprocessor). There isn't dedicated HW decompression like PS5 and XSX:

https://twitter.com/RyanSmithAT/status/1301994149822959617

"RTX IO. Asset decompression takes place in the SMs (which is why it's being backported to Turing). According to NV the perf hit is minuscule. But for those looking for console comparisons, the consoles have dedicated blocks for this"

Associate

It is, the fanboys and those with low understanding of it always cite the game CONTROL as why DLSS is so magic but it's particularly stark in this game because the native IQ is so poor/blurry. there are also issues with the upscaled image such as text and writing in engine looking weird and in motion more problems that seem to be swept under the carpet.

I suspect if this was an AMD tech, people would go through the results with a fine-toothed comb and highlight any single flaw in output.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It is, the fanboys and those with low understanding of it always cite the game CONTROL as why DLSS is so magic but it's particularly stark in this game because the native IQ is so poor/blurry. there are also issues with the upscaled image such as text and writing in engine looking weird and in motion more problems that seem to be swept under the carpet.

I suspect if this was an AMD tech, people would go through the results with a fine-toothed comb and highlight any single flaw in output.
Grim5 will take issue with this post.

When I told him that game looks rubbish with or without DLSS he got very upset :p

Associate
Grim5 will take issue with this post.

When I told him that game looks rubbish with or without DLSS he got very upset :p

It's mad, it's in about 1% of all the games out on the market right now yet people are losing their collective minds. It would be sensible to see if the competition has an answer to DLSS and how it does in games that have good IQ from the start, but the test cases are so small in number it's hard to do that right now.

Back
Top Bottom