Mulan

Soldato
Maybe it got pulled, doubtful, but then maybe someone else was right that it was not mulan that I watched lmao, sure it had the lead actress in it though

Soldato
Aye so you have to keep paying.
Out of interest if you get something on prime, is that just rented or how do those purchases work? can't say i've ever bought a premium streamed film.

Soldato
Aye so you have to keep paying.
Out of interest if you get something on prime, is that just rented or how do those purchases work? can't say i've ever bought a premium streamed film.

Some paid prime movies/TV are purchases, some are rentals. You don't need an active prime membership to watch your purchases and rentals are for 48 hours from when you start to watch them.

Caporegime
It's erm...fine I guess.

I think part of the problem is it Disney, for an anime you can get away with it being on the soft side in terms of violence but when it's live-action and it is war, and the fight scenes isn't that convincing + the lack of blood, I am somewhat removed from 1 - they are in danger and 2 - they are hitting each other.

The main actress is okay but very bland, the bad guy also is wrong casting choice too. It's not one of the better Disney remakes and but that said, if you are 12, I think you will love it. The messages they tries to send are good, family, truth, honour etc are good virtues.

Should you pay for it if you are a grown up on your own watching it? Probably not worth it. Should you pay for it if you have a couple of children (old enough to watch some mild violence), I think it's fine.

p.s. I fully expect reality|bites start another thread about women on this lol

pps, I think this would have looked great in the cinema, there are a lot of big landscape wide shots that suits the big screen more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Disney have said it'll be included as part of the subscription from beginning of December, don't think they'll make the money they're hoping to off this and I for 1 would never pay extra for something once I've taken out the subscription, it's like Netflix starting to charge extra for content.

Soldato
Haven't watched it but, from reviews I've seen, it seems that she's in danger of being a Mary Sue and the 'chi' relent detracts from the rationale for her actions that was such a huge, impactful part of the animated film.
In short, I'm not going to bother and will stick to the original. Even my daughter (14) isn't bothered.

Soldato
I enjoyed it, but I get the critical response. Its very generic and moves at a crazy pace to the point where there is a lot of teleporting within scenes.
Zero musical numbers is odd. The witch was the best character in the film and that says it all I guess.

Soldato
It wasn't great, not bad, but it's a film made for 8-13 year olds. I found it a bit over the top with the cringy Disney cheese shots and there were some very convenient camera cuts and as said above "plot teleportation".

That's it really.

I thought the lead actress was OK'ish, not very charismatic or enthralling in the way Zhang Ziyi is in her roles. I'm a fan of Asian cinema, especially historic films, and I thought the film could have benefited a lot from using Chinese filmmakers because it just didn't feel authentic. It's like it had the "veneer" of ancient China but a lot of the scenes felt stilted, like Americans playing fancy dress.

Also Mulan herself, for some reason they've given her superpowers which negates the whole purpose of her story in the folklore and in the original animation i.e. a girl that wants to save her father's life in a male dominated society and uses her own means to overcome these obstacles and eventually goes on to save China and earn the highest honour in the Empire. But this movie detracts from that and seems to say that she did it because of her Super Chi Power - a power she did nothing to attain, she was just born with it. It's confused and sends mixed messages.

Man of Honour
Haven’t seen the film but Doug from Channel Awesome destroys it and I tend to think he is a really fair and decent reviewer.

Associate
watched it over the weekend with my stepdaughter. Not knowing much of the history involved or seeing the cartoon version I didn't think it too bad and was only peeved that they didn't really use the cast that they had. Jet Li and Donnie Yen. Oh and the whole "Chi" "Force" crossover. Im pretty sure she wasnt a precursor to the jedi's

My stepdaughter, who is chinese, was disgusted by it :D apparently there is quite a darker chinese version from way back that is the one to watch.

Back
Top Bottom