Best free editing software

Soldato
So on the lookout for some free photo editing software ,Nikon NEF raw files are the ones I require editing, nothing needed other than a few touch ups and shadow highlight jiggery ala windows10 editor.

Also having used d750 raw files on the windows 10 editor with great success I find it alters the d850 files and makes them look like absolute garbage for some reason.

Or will push the boat out for a paid version as long as it not lightroom etc costs.

Associate
If you don't find anything free, then for cheap, Affinity photo can regularly be had for a decent discount price in sales. Its normally ~£50, but I've seen I've seen it down at around £30 before. One off payment, and loads of upgrades as time goes on.

I ditched Adobe subscription for it about 18 months ago, and I've not missed it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tips people.
Have trialled the topaz labs de noise and was amazed by it so possibly buy that one,not sure if other programs do noise reduction as good?

Soldato
I loved Capture one but not free, and still needed photoshop.

went photoshop and Lightroom sub and bought the Adp panel for photoshop, it’s amazing!

darktable is good but liked a bit complicated.

gimp is free but a bit clunky compared to photoshop.

Soldato
Thanks for the tips people.
Have trialled the topaz labs de noise and was amazed by it so possibly buy that one,not sure if other programs do noise reduction as good?

DXO Photolab this is a full RAW editor

Also worth mentioning Topaz de noise isn't a full RAW editor it just gets rid of noise but it does it the best of the all programs supposedly (If I get On1 over DXO I'll probably get denoise to compliment it as On1 denoise isn't as good as the other 2)

I'm currently trialling a few different editors after picking up Luminar 3 for free around Easter, top of my shortlist are On1 Photo Raw (on offer for £75 at the moment including a free update to next version) and DXO (on offer for 30% off but going to wait for Black Friday 50% off)

Picked up Affinity when it was half price a few months back as well (should be 50% around black friday) well worth the £25 as a replacement for Photoshop

For free though you can't go wrong with Darktable, there's also Raw Therapee and Lightzone but they're not as popular

Associate
So on the lookout for some free photo editing software ,Nikon NEF raw files are the ones I require editing, nothing needed other than a few touch ups and shadow highlight jiggery ala windows10 editor.

Also having used d750 raw files on the windows 10 editor with great success I find it alters the d850 files and makes them look like absolute garbage for some reason.

Or will push the boat out for a paid version as long as it not lightroom etc costs.

I recently decided to ditch Lightroom and Photoshop as I was fed up with the subscription model. I shoot with Fuji so went with Capture One Express which is free but this is Fuji and Sony only. And Affinity Photo to replace Photoshop.

Couple of options you might want to look at is Adobe Bridge which requires an Adobe account but no subscription needed.

Digikam is also a good option.

Associate
I recently decided to ditch Lightroom and Photoshop as I was fed up with the subscription model. I shoot with Fuji so went with Capture One Express which is free but this is Fuji and Sony only. And Affinity Photo to replace Photoshop.

Couple of options you might want to look at is Adobe Bridge which requires an Adobe account but no subscription needed.

Digikam is also a good option.

Might be worth mentioning that while Capture One is quite expensive, as a Capture One Express user (the free version) I get regular emails from them offering 60% off the paid version which might make the expense more palatable.

Back
Top Bottom