Anyone using a Bluetooth portable speaker as a car audio system ?

Soldato
Guys

Was just thinking about using a portable Bluetooth speaker in the car ?

I’ve just purchased a small 2 seat sport car and to get something like apple car play type system is gonna run me around £500 .

Would a portable Bluetooth speaker connected to my iPhone not be just as good ? I suppose volume functionality might be an issue but if anyone has done this what’s it like ?

Associate
Cant imagine it would be an enjoyable experience, very directional sound and as you mentioned they probably wouldn't be loud enough if you're going at any decent speed. Not to mention the hassle of having to connect it all the time.

Can you not just replace the headunit with something with bluetooth? You don't need carplay or anything like that although they are nice.

Associate
Guys

Was just thinking about using a portable Bluetooth speaker in the car ?

I’ve just purchased a small 2 seat sport car and to get something like apple car play type system is gonna run me around £500 .

Would a portable Bluetooth speaker connected to my iPhone not be just as good ? I suppose volume functionality might be an issue but if anyone has done this what’s it like ?

Just....... no.

Even on the worst of built in systems I imagine the effect would be worse than the standard system!

I did a full install on my MX5 back in the day and whilst I did spend close to £500 that was enough for me to replace the speakers for components in the doors, the head unit, and a line level amp and it sounded brilliant. You're also not comparing apples to apples, your bluetooth speaker wouldn't give you car play either so it isn't really a fair comparison. Assuming you'v got space for a double din headunit and you do want car play, you could simply just replace the headunit for around the £300 mark, + maybe £50 for a faceplate / wiring adapter an have a much better setup than any bluetooth stand alone speaker would give you. Add another £100 or so for some upgraded speakers and you would have a genuinally great unit. `

If you don't need car play, then as others have mentioned you could do this much chaper. £100 - £150 for the head unit, + £100 on speakers would again give you a huge upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom