Thoughts and advice please?

Associate
My last build was in 2012 and that was an i5-3570K and 670 GTX which was a monster in its day but because of life and children I haven't until now been able to get back into gaming, after a bit of research I have decided on these parts but would love some thoughts and advice from the guys who know their stuff! I do plan to buy a 3080 when it is released in case anyone thinks I forgot the most important part.

Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (front mounted as intake)
Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM 97 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Corsair HX Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case

Extras (to replace the three fans included with the case, all exhaust)
Corsair ll Series ll120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node Pro Cooling CO-9050072-WW

A MASSIVE thank you in advance!

Associate
If you have waited this long maybe you can wait until the end of the year for the new Ryzen 4000 series desktop processors. If you are mainly building a gaming PC the new processor is rumoured to offer around 15% better performance than the current 3000 series processors. The new video cards from AMD should also be out around that time so you can see if AMD can offer anything competitive against the 3080 before deciding on the GPU.

Soldato
Looks solid, and guessing your wanting a nice Corsair build :)

Save up to £100 could go B550 Master ! It does house triple m.2 PCI.e 4.0 slots but bumps down GPU from x16 to x8 speed.
Just a heads up if you plan running 4.0 NVMe in future . Also seems Nvidia and Microsoft tackling Sony's PS5 insane IO speeds with newer version of DX 12 and GDDR6X speeds. But not going to a fruit till next year. If you've GOT the budget then push 4.0 PCIe m.2.

Also, 3700x should be plenty for playing games to be honest. If your streaming, even 8 cores is fine doing the encoding via Nvidia software and 3080 GPU.

And a heads up, Aorus 3080 is an absolute monster. Should see GamersNexus reaction on it.

And if your going to wait for AMD next CPU, almost tempting to wait for Intel's as it's fast ... Easy to see new 11th gen laptops performance but built on 10nm node. Desktops will be on 14nm which isn't as good but will allow for higher clock speeds.
Interesting times

Associate
OP
Looks solid, and guessing your wanting a nice Corsair build :)

Save up to £100 could go B550 Master ! It does house triple m.2 PCI.e 4.0 slots but bumps down GPU from x16 to x8 speed.
Just a heads up if you plan running 4.0 NVMe in future . Also seems Nvidia and Microsoft tackling Sony's PS5 insane IO speeds with newer version of DX 12 and GDDR6X speeds. But not going to a fruit till next year. If you've GOT the budget then push 4.0 PCIe m.2.

Also, 3700x should be plenty for playing games to be honest. If your streaming, even 8 cores is fine doing the encoding via Nvidia software and 3080 GPU.

And a heads up, Aorus 3080 is an absolute monster. Should see GamersNexus reaction on it.

And if your going to wait for AMD next CPU, almost tempting to wait for Intel's as it's fast ... Easy to see new 11th gen laptops performance but built on 10nm node. Desktops will be on 14nm which isn't as good but will allow for higher clock speeds.
Interesting times

All this node size doesn't interest me, of course smaller is better to an extent but considering AMD using 7nm, Intel still beat them in several ways and if AMD didn't beat them with all the additional cores something would be very wrong! Also as you said 8 cores should be more than enough for gaming, I opted for a 12 core purely as overkill, so background bloatware wouldn't hinder gaming performance. I may wait it out even further and pickup cheap Ryzen and 1660 super to tick me over until Intel and AMD release their next gen processors, ultimately it comes down to what you use the computer for and at this time 1080p gaming is exactly that, 1440p at constant 144fps and 4k at 60fps in what i desire when I do pull the trigger and spend big!

Soldato
I read 1080p gaming as 240hz plus ;)
But I get what you mean. Standard 1080p is 1660S or RX 5600xt and your done nicely , even dropping to 1650ti and 5500..

8th October is when Zen3 details are given out

ne0

ne0

Associate
Personally I would get the same RAM but 32gb instead of 16gb. RAM is so cheap these days that you may as well take advantage as games WILL start to benefit from the extra in the coming generation (some are already).

Permabanned
At the moment some 850W Corsair power supplies are cheaper than the 750W Corsair of the same model, so given that the 30 series from NVIDIA is so power hungry, I would get an 850W PSU.... just in case!!

Associate
If you want to save some money but still get some nice looking fans then the Coolermaster MF120 Halos are great fans. You can get a 3 pack for £39.95 on overclockers.co.uk. I have 9 in my O11 Dynamic! Also you can save money by switching to a B550 motherboard. As well as this unless you are doing heavy video editing the 3900X isn't really necessary. You can get a ryzen 5 3600 and sure you will lose a few frames (not that many) but you will be saving £300 that can be spent elsewhere. Even if you don't want the 3600 then a ryzen 7 would be alright. The 3900X is completely overkill just for gaming...

Associate
Personally I would get the same RAM but 32gb instead of 16gb. RAM is so cheap these days that you may as well take advantage as games WILL start to benefit from the extra in the coming generation (some are already).

Think you could grab it from overclockers for something like 80 quid for 3200mhz 32gb lately, so you could even push it to 64gb realistically. Might be overkill tho

ne0

ne0

Associate
Think you could grab it from overclockers for something like 80 quid for 3200mhz 32gb lately, so you could even push it to 64gb realistically. Might be overkill tho

64gb definitely overkill, wouldn't bother, but 32gb is legit worth it especially for games like flight simulator which uses well in excess of 20gb if you let it. I reckon this upcoming gen we'll see more games start to use more than 16gb. Even modern warfare uses over 14gb on my system which imo is way too much to limit yourself to just 16gb.

Back
Top Bottom