What film did you watch last night?

Associate
I'm Thinking of Ending Things - 2/10

I don't usually post regarding films I have watched but this film is an exception. Saw the trailer, looked great as trailers do. Mentions of eternal sunshine, adaptation and being john malkovich. All of which I love. Alarm bells should have rang with director of Synechdoche New york. The only film we have ever not finished and still a joke to this day.

We endured through the entirety of this film, on the hope of some payoff at the end, or at least some form of narrative. It's two hours of monologues, feelings of dread and not knowing what is happening. It reminds me of the film "mother!" Don't get me wrong we like films that don't give you all the answers and make you work but this was real work.

Anyone else watch this?

Then again, I can't stop thinking about this film. Maybe it's a masterpiece. Who knows

Last edited:
Soldato
Z
Waste of 1 1/2 hours, avoid.
Decent acting from everyone but the Movie just ends up going nowhere. You watch it thinkings its building up to something then nothing at all.

Permabanned
Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai (1999)
An African-American Mafia hit man who models himself after the samurai of old finds himself targeted for death by the mob. With Forest Whitaker.

I thought this was strangely brilliant. Days after watching it I still feel mesmerised for some reason. It's one of those films you will either enjoy or not, it certainly is different. Forest narrates his teachings through the eastern philosophy he has learnt as he takes on the mafia. I felt as though the film tried to do a few things but didn't excel in either one of them - we learn of his admirable friendship with a French ice cream truck guy and a little girl. Also his relationship with one mafioso and the mafia family themselves. We have a movie that doesn't spend enough time fleshing out any of these stories but it still comes away with a good 8.5/10 for me.

Also has a great soundtrack imo, "GhostDog" was always my first choice name in MMO's. :p

Caporegime
Sputnik (2020) - Not bad for a Russian film, well shot and acted, story isn't bad either

I saw most of this the other day and enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I seem to be developing a habit of watching half to three-quarters of a film, and then not returning to it at all/or anytime soon - even if I quite enjoy it...

Associate
Did a Zoolander and Zoolander 2 double bill. Really interesting re-watching Zoolander, now that it's an "old" film - feels pretty bizarre/trippy in a contemporary context, which I liked. Sequel does a good job of capturing the same vibe too but with modern subtext, which is cool.

Soldato
I saw most of this the other day and enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I seem to be developing a habit of watching half to three-quarters of a film, and then not returning to it at all/or anytime soon - even if I quite enjoy it...

I'm not sure it's worth going back, it's one of those good one time watches, the ending was okay, not great not terrible

Soldato
Im thinking of ending things - Junk, im either not intelligent enough to get or it really is just pretentious drivel. About 30 minutes too long but it does have some interesting moments, but none of it is answered.
One for students to dissect in there art study's but in reality it all means f all

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Project Power

1/10 Utter utter utter trash. One of the worst films i have ever partly watched. Cool idea so badly executed in script, storyline and acting just trash avoid at all costs.

Associate
Unknown Origins (Netflix)

This is a weird one.
A serial killer is posing bodies as superheroes.
The film centers around a comic book shop owner teaming up with a cop to investigate the murders.

Summing it up, imagine your local amateur dramatics puts on their version of Batman....

What is amazing about this film is they appear to have dodged the Marvel and DC lawyers - their characters get mentioned enough in it and, indeed, have an important role in the film!

Is it worth watching? I'd says so. Certainly if you fancy a slightly different spin on the superhero genre.

Notable mentions (this WILL contain spoilers):

The cosplaying chief of police - that is just... weird.
The last 20 minutes of the film has just been ripped straight out of Batman and doesn't even pretend otherwise!

Soldato

I don't usually post regarding films I have watched but this film is an exception. Saw the trailer, looked great as trailers do. Mentions of eternal sunshine, adaptation and being john malkovich. All of which I love. Alarm bells should have rang with director of Synechdoche New york. The only film we have ever not finished and still a joke to this day.

We endured through the entirety of this film, on the hope of some payoff at the end, or at least some form of narrative. It's two hours of monologues, feelings of dread and not knowing what is happening. It reminds me of the film "mother!" Don't get me wrong we like films that don't give you all the answers and make you work but this was real work.

Anyone else watch this?

Then again, I can't stop thinking about this film. Maybe it's a masterpiece. Who knows

Gave up halfway through - just couldn't stand the thought of spending any more time with it. Weird for sure, but entertaining to watch?...no. Shame. Lead actress seems excellent though, in fact they were all very good. Just so unwatchable.

Soldato
Nighthawks. Little bit hammy, but what to expect with the staring cast. Liked the way it ended, and the way it depicted New York as being a total **** hole. I thought the leading review on IMDB was a little bit over generous, most of it just couldn't, wouldn't happen.

Soldato

Anyone else watch this?

I had exactly the same sentiments. Its certainly in the 'art' category if films. It must have struck something because I'm still thinking about it. Very odd.

My wildest theory is that the janitor was dying and it was all an hallucination and reliving his life experiences pre death.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Grandmaster (2013)

The cinematography in this is out of this world, each frame can be hung on a wall, the martial arts is like a dance but too much editing for my liking, too many quick cuts and at times hard to tell. It was still good though and it was operatic at times which the music too is a reflection of that. Fight scenes were dancing and

After the movie I looked up Kermode’s review and apparently there was an original cut that is 25mins longer. Now that I think about it makes sense because the movie is quite patchy, at times it jumps back and forth with flashbacks and I am unsure what I was watching on the timeline of the story.

Good film but not the director’s best work, may be the original edit is better.

ps, this is the 2nd movie I’ve seen this week where they mix Mandarin and Cantonese dialogue in the same conversation yet the characters have no problem understanding each other as if they are speaking the same language. The other one was Ip Man 4.

Back
Top Bottom