• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the RTX 3090 a rip off for £1,400?

Associate
For me its worth it, I like to game at 4k with all the settings turned up including ray tracing, and I want a card that's going to perform the best. Even if the 3090 is 20% faster that's still a good ammount faster even if I have to pay double the price of a 3080 to get it.

Also I've been using 11gb vram cards since the 1080 Ti and the current 2080 Ti, no way in hell am I dropping down in vram capacity either not with next gen console games on the way.

I've also been an SLI user since the 780 Ti days, currently with 2x 2080 Ti's so I want the best single GPU to replace those two and the 3090 fills that requirement perfectly. Compared to what nvidia charged for the Titan RTX, the 3090 which is essentially a rebaged Titan is pretty decent value.

this... for years 4k gamers have had to rely on sli/crossfire which was expensive to run.

this will hopefully be the first true 4k single card. It will be cheaper for some of us that used to run two cards anyways and add on that sli/crossfire is dead

Soldato
Considering the 3090 will not be Nvidia's top end consumer Ampere card, We all know a higher end 3090 Super or eventual Titan is coming with those missing CUDA cores attached, I think £1200 would've been a more apt price point.

Soldato
Well, I dont wanna come down too much on 1 side of the debate,

I think you could be a little more honest here and admit that your OP title is completely rhetorical, you've made your mind up 100%.

I don't think it will be a rip-off.

If you're a 4K 120Hz gamer, you need a card like this. As a potential buyer, I'm hoping if I buy this, I won't need to upgrade for at least 4+ years.

Exactly this, there's a market for it.

The 3080 will be the fastest GPU available for around a week, then the crown will go to the 3090. In around 6 months time, the 3080 won't even be the 2nd best but the 3090 will hold its position; this is before we even mention Vram requirements.

Some people will be budget constrained and therefore the purchase of a 3090 is a complete moot point. Some will not be budget constrained but won't need/desire the extra performance.

Personally, I'm considering the 3090 so long as it isn't held back by heat issues. However, the time to buy one is shortly after release because the longer you wait then the more it makes sense to pick up the 3080ti/Super. The big attraction for the 3090 is top performance now, not in 6 months. Even when the 3080ti/Super releases it won't be better than the 3090, it'll be very close for much less outlay.

My mind isn't made up yet, because unlike the 2080ti this card offers a performance uplift over the previous generation that's actually worth considering.

Last edited:
Associate
To be honest, anyone buying any of the 3 series at launch is being bent over again by Nvidia..

It is no secret that a 3070ti and 3080ti are coming and even super models all with more Vram...

So wasting your cash on the first of these 3 series excluding the 3090 (Titan) is lol worthy as they will be replaced by superior versions in the not to distant future, enabling Nvidia to double dip in a lot of consumers pockets.

I can garauntee a lot of users saying i wil buy the 3070 or 3080 with its low Vram and upgrade next gen, will infact upgrade again this gen once the bigger variants of those 2 cards are released.

Nvidia knows this, we all know this.

Soldato
To be honest, anyone buying any of the 3 series at launch is being bent over again by Nvidia..

It is no secret that a 3070ti and 3080ti are coming and even super models all with more Vram...

So wasting your cash on the first of these 3 series excluding the 3090 (Titan) is lol worthy as they will be replaced by superior versions in the not to distant future, enabling Nvidia to double dip in a lot of consumers pockets.

I can garauntee a lot of users saying i wil buy the 3070 or 3080 with its low Vram and upgrade next gen, will infact upgrade again this gen once the bigger variants of those 2 cards are released.

They dont care. And is easily upset at any notion of knowledge that contradicts how they "feel". Buying these cards goes to how they feel. At a guess you are trying to talk sense into someone who's a "yellow" personality.

Jacketman built his business honing in on buyers who are, whether they admit it or not, yellows. Every other personality type either hates him or dismisses his antics. In other words are not dazzled by him. But yellows adore, love and worship him. To such a degree they would/will buy a 3070 then a 3070ti on credit. Because that's who they are.

Soldato
Absolutely and I hope AMD can pmrbing the prices down!

it's only 20% faster for double the money than the 3080

The only saving grace for the 3090 as a gamer would be if it has a metric ton of overclocking headroom

Nvidia is forcing gamers to buy 10gb cards it's brilliant! Except in 1 or 2 years when you realise you e run out of vram you'll have to upgrade again! So they price the 3090 well above the 2080ti price to make you settle for less vram but less vram means next time you have no choice but to upgrade

Soldato
So many upset people here :D

Glad they don't post in the Mobile phone section ;)
At least it's not a complete repeat of the 20** series launch :). NIce jump in performance per £ this time, at the 3070/80 price point especially, so less outrage.

I don't think the 3090 is a rip off and suspect we're lining up for a 3080 Ti or something later which will be better £ for those gaming > 1440P than the '90. Gaming wise, and it's not marketed at 'only gaming', the 3090 is for those who want the top end performance of the generation right now, especially at higher resolutions. Want the best performance for the longest period of time you have to pay for it - a sound business practice. Price wise it's more in-line with previous (pre-RT) Titans with a load of memory.

Soldato
At least it's not a complete repeat of the 20** series launch :). NIce jump in performance per £ this time, at the 3070/80 price point especially, so less outrage.

I don't think the 3090 is a rip off and suspect we're lining up for a 3080 Ti or something later which will be better £ for those gaming > 1440P than the '90. Gaming wise, and it's not marketed at 'only gaming', the 3090 is for those who want the top end performance of the generation right now, especially at higher resolutions. Want the best performance for the longest period of time you have to pay for it - a sound business practice. Price wise it's more in-line with previous (pre-RT) Titans with a load of memory.

I haven't bought a new GPU since the 8080.

I got used cards, 290X\1070\Titan X pascal :)

Associate

This makes sense, however, if I upgrade to a 3080, I won't be going any higher. £650 is a big outlay for me as I am a casual gamer. I set a budget of £500 but given the performance increase in RT I'm willing to pay more as I want cyberpunk in 1440p with RT. Im honestly not sure if I should wait and save a bit of cash and see how the 3070ti/s performs.

Soldato

Then don't buy one...simples.

Associate
For me I don't see it as a rip off, particularly when compared to the 2080ti. Your getting a boat load more ram and a better uplift than the 1080ti to 2080ti. It's a halo product so your gonna pay way over the odds. Plus if you want this level of performance you won't have to waste your time waiting for nv to release a 3080 ti.

The only thing that puts me off is the short term inevitable depreciation and whether I can live with that without buyers remorse.

Last edited:
Soldato
it cost Nvidia around £300 to make one. So according to the calculator : 1400-300 = £1100 in profit.

Really?

1GB of GDDR6 cost ~$11 to buy from Micron at production volumes around 6 months ago, GDDR6X will be more expensive as it requires 4 level signal detection which will need more transistors and complexity to implement. It's new, it's the fastest and Micron want to make a good profit too. You can easily be looking at $400 just to buy 24GB Ram @ cost price.

Assuming equivalent perfomance to TSMC's 7mm mature defect rate of 0.1 - 0.11 per square cm and with 623mm sq dia less than a third of chips are fully functional. Of those we have no data on how many of these can run at the required clock speed and stay within the thermal spec. Fully functional high spec dies are a premium. You want one.... you pay.

Then you have to build a ~20 stage VRM and cooling solution, the cooling solution is rumoured to cost $150

Then you are 'repaying' a chunk of the investment made to design the technologies used in the GPU. thousands of engineering, management, HR, PR salaries to make it happen.

You are paying upfront the cost of Nvidia engineers sitting in game design studios (at no cost to the designer) to make games run better on Nvidia so you get more from your card.

You are paying a share of the costs to run the DLSS training on a super computer, we know Devs are happy to release games that don't perform well, DLSS is a Nvidia competative advantage which you prepay for when you buy a GPU.

Then you have to price in returns an return handling costs which eat into profits.

Margin is not profit, any business the size of Nvidia has huge costs to pay to run and evolve, well beyond the simplistic gross margin on a single physical product. They actually made approx 16% net profit last year as not every investment repays.

Yes the 3090 is expensive, but it's the flagship so it's a high margin product.

Despite all the talk, AMD and Nvidia are locked in classic game theory. They both loose from a price war. Nvidia will tolerate AMD offering a little more value but wants to hold the performance crown at high end tiers hence the GA102 dies and space for Super / TI models. AMD won't push Nvidia too hard as they desperately need to maximise margin and volume so they have cash to invest in the future.

Caporegime
If you need the performance then you need it.

pits a bargain compared to running two 2080ti in SLI which gets so little love nowadays.

lots of people have moved over the 120hz 4K screens so are going to notice that extra 20% performance the 3090 gives them.

Permabanned

How do we know this? A misprint by Lenovo?

Back
Top Bottom