£300 budget for SIM free Android phone - recommendations please

Soldato
As the title suggests, I'm looking for a phone around the £300 mark (+ or - £50).

Initially I was interested in paying far more for a "flagship" brand, but that never happened and I have to say that with the current economic climate I'm pleased I didn't spend so much on a phone!

Recently got great advice from this forum for a phone for the Missus (ended up buying a realme 6 for her) and I'm back for some updated recommendations for myself.

I've seen a Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite 5G Dual Sim 8GB/256GB for £290 and I'm leaning that way. Really wondering what my alternatives are and I'm hoping people will be kind enough to suggest some. Unlike before, I need one asap, so looking to order one in the next few days, certainly before the end of next week.

Camera probably the single most important feature. I mess about with cars and often find myself taking photos to show on forums of engine parts etc. I do use social media to share photos of family etc. Apart from that I'm not a gamer, use various everyday apps ranging from favourites like Google maps to banking etc. Like the idea of something that has 5G as I tend to keep things like phones for a few years, I'm not one to chop and change every year.

Tips on where to buy would be useful, some of these websites concern me, not sure how legit they are.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've just got a Poco f2. Loving it so far.

I bought it from AliExpress with my credit card. I ordered from Spain and it took 4 days. I originally ordered from China and got messed about for weeks and I ended up canceling the order and reordering

Soldato
I just recently got a Xiaomi Mi 10 Lite 5g, the 6GB/64GB model for £239.

Honestly going from a Xperia Z3 Compact to that is incredible. I was waiting out for a flagship brand to come to a reasonable price but in the end, the money they want is ridiculous and I can't justify it. I just wanted a snappy processor for browsing and social media apps, a big bright AMOLED screen and battery life that'd comfortably see me through the day. It's got all of this and more, even things like the camera, haptics and the sound/speaker quality have surprised me considering how they're deemed a "compromise" compared to the more expensive phones.

For me personally 64GB is fine, I don't Instagram or take loads of 4k videos etc, and at £239 it was a silly good deal. Oh, it also came with a case and screen protector, and it's still rocking a headphone jack too :D

Soldato
OP
Headphone jack is something I do occasionally use as I prefer over-the-ear headphones to ear buds, I just find them far more comfortable.

I've been reading about the One Plus Nord, that seems like a contender. Pixel 4 (not sure of difference between 4/4a/4XL) looks good but not sure it would be worth stretching budget for.

One of the threads I was reading someone mentioned size. My current phone is 6" long and that seems plenty to me, I think most of these new ones are bigger? I wouldn't want one too big.

Soldato
OP
I've just got a Poco f2. Loving it so far.

I bought it from AliExpress with my credit card. I ordered from Spain and it took 4 days. I originally ordered from China and got messed about for weeks and I ended up canceling the order and reordering
It compares very favourably on paper, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Did you get the Poco F2 Pro? There appear to be different versions.

How could I find out the difference in camera performance between say the Mi 10 lite and the Poco F2 Pro? Apart from looking at specifications.

Soldato
It compares very favourably on paper, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Did you get the Poco F2 Pro? There appear to be different versions.

How could I find out the difference in camera performance between say the Mi 10 lite and the Poco F2 Pro? Apart from looking at specifications.

Yeah it's the pro. 6gb version. From reviews it's not really worth the extra £100 so you can have an extra few apps preloaded.

No idea on camera. It looks good to me and from reviews it apparently compares well for the price.

Soldato
I take it AliExpress are safe to order from? Do you get any type of warranty?

Maybe and not really.

There are many potential pitfalls ordering from sites like AliExpress. Search for the company on HotUKDeals to get an idea of how to mitigate. Paying with credit card is essential.

Soldato
i think its 90 days warranty. but if you have mobile phone insurance then no real need ofr warranty.

i have insurance with nationwide. £13 covers me and the family for all phones, holidays and breakdown. used all 3 services, so well worth it for me

Associate
Regarding warranty that will be based on the origin of the phone.

If it's a EU model Xiaomi phone it will have 2 year warranty which would require you to ship it to a location in EU but if they are Chinese models you would need to send it back to China all these are at your own cost also warranty varies based on origin country.

The other thing make sure you purchase from authorized seller otherwise they wont cover it no matter the country.

MI/Xiaomi do have store on Ali express they tend to be bit more expensive.

Poco X3 or Poco F2 Pro (X3 doesn't have 5g but currently up for pre order mi.com for around £200 which is UK version)

Back
Top Bottom