• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the RTX 3090 a rip off for £1,400?

Associate
No.

It's like any hobby or activity. There are levels of product and in any area there are premium products. The only people it bothers are those who seem to have an unhealthy interest in how others spend their money or an equally unhealthy hatred of Nvidia.

It's interesting also this attitude of people being conned by Nvidia. People buying these don't feel that way I am sure. It's like the 2080ti. I would bet that the majority of people that bought them enjoyed them and will either continue to do so or upgrade.

Associate
I could buy the 3090 but the depreciation bothers me too much. 3080 is a great price point. Leaves room to upgrade again in a couple of years.

I remember what it was like being a kid with no money though. There will be some great cards on the second hand market now that still perform great.

I can't see how buying a 3080 is a waste of cash in any shape or form when I'm stuck on a 980ti at the moment. If you have a recent 20xx then you have that luxury of not having to buy at launch and seeing what amd do or what new cards Nvidia might bring out next year. I've already waited a year for these cards.

Soldato
OP
If you need 20-30% (taking into account the extra VRAM) more fps at 4k resolution, maybe the 3090 is worth it for you. The ray tracing perf. is a bit better too.

The 3080 can do around ~100fps at 4k on Doom External, so the 3090 should be enough for 120fps. Not convinced it will handle 8k at 60fps, however.

Caporegime
It's for rich/fairly wealthy people who simply want the best/fastest product, whatever the cost.

If you think its expensive/overpriced, you are not one of those people.

I am also not one of those people, so yes the price is absurd (to me).

Soldato
It's for rich/fairly wealthy people who simply want the best/fastest product, whatever the cost.

If you think its expensive/overpriced, you are not one of those people.

I am also not one of those people, so yes the price is absurd (to me).

OMG do you use a £100 mobile phone?

Apple users spend 10X that amount on a crappy PC :)

Caporegime

No, I normally have a decent phone, but not the absolute best phone too.

I wasn't being critical of anyone wanting to buy a 3090. If you want it, and have pots of money then go for it.

Associate
Different strokes for different folks i guess, i just dropped £2500 on a 6 x 5600xt Mining setup, knowing full well ROI may never happen, but i wouldn't drop £1400 on an Nvidia gpu, 3080 does look good but we all know a 3080ti will appear and that will be the smart card to buy ahead of both tge 3090 and 3080

Associate
this... for years 4k gamers have had to rely on sli/crossfire which was expensive to run.

this will hopefully be the first true 4k single card. It will be cheaper for some of us that used to run two cards anyways and add on that sli/crossfire is dead

I'm with you on this,just sold my 1080ti,going full fat this time, + a new ryzen chip and m/board when they are released.

Soldato

What does that have to do with anything? My mobile phone cost £60.

@Jono8 made a good point. There are some very rich people in the world who care less about value for money.

Obviously some average earners would get a 3090 as well but that's their call.

Yes the 3090 is a rip off, but so what? Why does it matter? Do people honestly wish is was cheaper?

Soldato
Was a ticket on Concorde a rip-off?

Is a Bugatti Chiron a rip-off?

Yes emotionally, for some, but on paper were financial break-evens or even loss leaders.

Soldato
Was a ticket on Concorde a rip-off?

Is a Bugatti Chiron a rip-off?

Yes emotionally, for some, but on paper were financial break-evens or even loss leaders.

Bugatti is still a fast car after 10 years
Nvidia gpu is slower than a toaster

Associate
I think the thing is the 3090 has to be taken into context with the 3080 & 3070 my point being is it really an Nvidia rip-off?... no imho because there are alternatives this gen that are more sensibly priced for the performance. Is a 3090 over priced and poor value for money?... yes for most gamers simply on the basis that the extra vram and silicon would cost a fraction of what the margin is.

Turing was a rip off.

What is naughty is you have to get a 3090 or wait if you want more than 10GB of vram that's the stick Nvidia are pushing you with and the price gap is huge.

Associate
Need to know how much more poweful it is than the 3080 in usual conditions when benchmarks come out. We know that it`s likely a 3080ti, or Super will appear at some point However its will sit between the 3090 and the 3080 and I imagine the price will be a little higher too.
For people on 1080ti or older who upgrade in 2-3 year cycles may consider it. I`m pretty confident it wont be suceeded in performance till the next generation. It`s not all about bragging rights it`s about squeezing every drop of performance you can for a couple of years on demanding things like Index and reverb 2 where you will need the best you can get.

Associate
If you’re buying a 3090 you will, most likely, also need to upgrade your monitor to get the best out of it.

If you want 4K@120hz+ then you’ll be spending another £700 minimum. If you want the very best monitor (Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ or Acer Predator X27) then add another £1,000 to the above.

realistically you’re looking at £3k for top of the line GPU/screen combo.

Soldato
I don't think it will be a rip-off.

If you're a 4K 120Hz gamer, you need a card like this.

Says who? At present the 3090 looks only 20% faster than a 3080 and we have no idea how fast the 3080 will be in 4K games. Until that's known, it's impossible to say whether a 3090 would be justified in this scenario.

As a potential buyer, I'm hoping if I buy this, I won't need to upgrade for at least 4+ years.

That's what 2080Ti purchasers told themselves to justify their purchase, then got shafted two years later.

The old wisdom of buying top-end in the expectation of increased longevity doesn't work any more.

Soldato
If you have the money to buy one then why not. ;)
There is more to earning money then that childish antic. That's the kind of thing you say to a parent when you are still living at home. And trying to prove you are responsible. Not to your fellow peer. Lol

Why? Because your fellow adults already know this. However, what is criticized is what you do with it.
----‐---------
I found something very intriguing with those with yellow personality. They lack morals, integrity and ethics. Even until their own detriment. Then look at you and say "what's the problem? "

Caporegime
3090 are presumably perfect dies and if yields are not that good NVidia will charge significantly more due to scarcity, some people who want the best will pay it.

Soldato
There is more to earning money then that childish antic. That's the kind of thing you say to a parent when you are still living at home. And trying to prove you are responsible. Not to your fellow peer. Lol

Why? Because your fellow adults alrt

Its not really for kids is it (unless mummy and daddy get the kids whatever they want) Its a enthusiast tier so if your a adult and have enough money to buy one then nothing wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom