• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU and Motherboard for UnRaid

Associate
Hi

I am looking at building a UnRaid server and am looking at recommendations for the CPU, Motherboard and amount of memory.

I will be using the server as a media server with the following dockers. Sabnzbd, Sonarr, Radarr and Plex. I will not be using virtual machines.

The plex will not be used for transcoding as I have an Apple ecosystem and use Infuse Pro as my media server and transcoding is done on my Apple TV hardware, instead of plex ....Plex is only used for syncing and metadata.

I will be using 2 parity drives (8TB each) and 4x 8TB media disks. With SSD's used for the caching and a non-assigned disk for my AppData. I already have a LSI 8i so amount of SATA on the board is not an issue.

There will also be a small share which I use for various backups..

Cheers

Soldato
Can the Apple TV decode everything? I suspect it can't do everything like VP9 or all the audio codecs and hence sometimes it will need to decode things.

I'm currently running a Supermicro X10SLL-F with 16GB ECC memory and I think a E3-1230V3. I find the IPMI functionality very useful...

Runs multiple dockers, a OpnSense VM with a 4-port NIC, just fine.

My next build will be based around a Ryzen setup - what's your budget?

Associate
OP
Apple TV cannot decode everything as you say.. things like VP9 are software decoded by Infuse .... but this isn’t an issue really as my media files are in the correct format to be played directly... so no Plex decoding... in fact my past system just used Infuse connected to the file system on a WD NAS.... I’m adding Plex just because the Metadata is better and Infuse can us Plex metadata.

My initial idea is to use Ryzen CPU... but don’t want to over spec the CPU... or any parts to keep costs down

Associate
I think basically anything will work for what you want. I went for an Intel Core i3 9100 purely for Quick sync video. If you're not transcoding then not an issue unless you want to get the Intel in case you decide to transcode further down the line.

I also only have 8gb RAM, but I bought a single stick so I can expand if I need to. Haven't found the need yet. I also transcode to ram disk.

For the motherboard, the only thing I would have mentioned is to make sure that it has enough SATA ports, and take particular note on what gets disabled if you use M2 etc. But you've got an LSI so that's also irrelevant!

You're going to struggle to find something that won't cope with that setup.

Associate
OP
Got it sorted, just looked around for a good deal on the CPU and Motherboard...So I got a Ryzen 3600 with a MSI B450-A PRO MAX Motherboard and put it in a Define7 case ... just setting it all up...

Back
Top Bottom