• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Still makes me :confused: why people are mocking the 2080Ti owners, who have supposedly just lost money or whatever.
It's not like their card has just turned so crap. The FPS is still the top you can get right now.
The people who bought the 2080Ti are likely playing at 1440p or some higher ultrawide res.

If you don't own a 2080Ti, you don't have high FPS in 1440p or are not running 1440p Ultrawide, or even 4k.
If you are, then you're going to be running low fps, surely.

The reason people fork out for the 2080Ti is because, a) they can afford it, b) they want to have the highest fps that is available to them c) are willing to pay the cost associated with it.
I don't believe people think or care about the resale cost of their card.

The other thing, to the owners of 3080+ cards, you're going to be on PC.... majority of time you'll be connected to a monitor - so unless you're running a 4k/120hz or faster screen, you're not going to be getting the best out of it... and in that case, the 2080Ti owners have had that amazing performance in this res for the last 2 years. That's what the 2080Ti owners have paid for.

It's not the 2080Ti's performance that was the problem. Everything you wrote could be said about the 2080Ti at *any price.*

Nvidia could have charged $5k for the 2080ti and everything you just wrote would still apply.

The performance that the 2080Ti offered over the 1080ti was in line with normal generational progress. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't an amazing quantum leap or anything. The price, however, was waaaay out of line compared to previous generation.

Then there was the 2080ti owners telling us that this was the new normal going forward so everyone would just have to get used to it.

Well Nvidia has now made products for both parts of the GPU market. Those of us who thought the 2080Ti was way overpriced for the small performance improvement it offered over the previous generation have the 3070 and the 3080 to consider.

Those who thought that getting 20-30% improvement over last gen cards was worth nearly doubling the price, well Nvidia made the 3090 just for them. It offers a bigger performance improvement over last gen and a smaller price increase over last gen. It's a better value over the previous generation than the 2080Ti was.

Nvidia has played their hand very well this time.

Soldato
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080: 168% of RTX 2080 performance in CUDA and OpenCL benchmarks

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...080-performance-in-cuda-and-opencl-benchmarks

Reviewers are expected to post their benchmarks of the Founders Edition on September 14th, with custom models reviews 3 days later.

Do we know which reviewers will have their reviews out early? Do the likes of Gamer nexus get review samples or do they have to buy them like the rest of us on release day?

Associate
VRAM Is a hard limit though which is hard to get around. If you run out of performance on the core there are many settings you can drop but with VRAM it's only textures and resolution really.

My 2gb Gtx 680 ran out of VRAM before I was unhappy with the performance I was getting so I won't be making that mistake again.

Yes true, hard limit in the sense you either have enough vRAM to meet the current demand, or you don't. But there's an important caveat to that. As you lower the video settings in game the vRAM demand goes down. This comes back to what I said like 100 pages back which is that the demand on vRAM and the demand on the GPU to run a game are intrinsically tied together. And how can it be any other way? The only reason you put things into vRAM is so the GPU can do work with them, an increase in one necessarily means an increase in the other.

If you look at any modern game like CoD, GTAV that have a vRAM estimation bar in the settings, it goes up and down with basically all settings. The GPU uses the vRAM not just to store game assets but as a place to put the result of calculations it is doing to produce the final frame, so shadows, lighting, AA, screen resolution, post processing, textures, LOD, tessellation, everything has an impact on vRAM usage.

So if the argument is, "I get a bad frame rate, so I turn down the settings to make it playable", my question is, "OK what is the vRAM usage AFTER you've turned down the settings?". The answer is less, and right now with actual evidence we have is, less than 10Gb for top end GPUs (both FS2020 and Avengers demonstrated this)

Last edited:
Associate
Is it just me that finds the founders edition more appetising than the third party ?

I do too, on looks for the most part, but also price. If Nvidia sell direct the FE for £649.99 that's going to beat all the fancy 3rd party models which so far are being listed above this. My suspicion is that supply will be low and demand will be high, so prices in the short term for 3rd party I actually expect to baloon up for early adopters. Where as I don't expect direct from Nvidia to price gouge in the same way.

I do like to overclock so I do like to have good HSF, but honestly the way Nvidia have been going with their coolers of late I honestly expect 3rd party air cooling to not be substantially better. The difference these days is less stark than back in the day where reference cooling was terrible. The reference coolers genuinely look very nice and well engineered.

Soldato
Ok thanks

Well,hopefully by then some more information at least!

Consoles are supposed to be released before Thanksgiving, so possibly mid November which could mean the GPUs are released in early November........possibly.

It could be,but I would imagine with Zen3 too,AMD might try and space things out a bit?

Associate
Consoles are supposed to be released before Thanksgiving, so possibly mid November which could mean the GPUs are released in early November........possibly.

Does anyone else suspect that we might be in a perfect storm for GPU shortage if this all lands at the same time between now and Xmas, especially with presumably what will be black friday right in there and lead up to Xmas. Nvidia might actually do quite well having gone with Samsung this time around purely from a logistics point of view.

Permabanned
Well,hopefully by then some more information at least!

It could be,but I would imagine with Zen3 too,AMD might try and space things out a bit?
Yeah im running 2xTitan Maxwells at 1440p watercooled so i dont need to upgrade in all honesty, i just want too.
I think ill wait it out, i may just forget it and buy a PS5, we will see :)

Back
Top Bottom