• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Vertical GPU Mount Speed Limitation?

Associate
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I'm getting ready for my new build once the new 30 series GPUs come out but I have a question. I had planned to use Lian Li's Vertical GPU Mount in my Lancool II Mesh for aesthetic reasons, until I realised it has a speed limitation of 8Gb/s. How much would this affect the performance of my GPU? I would like a vertical mount simply because I like the look of it but I certainly don't want to sacrifice performance. For reference the card I'm looking at is the 3080 and the CPU it'll be paired up with is a i9-10900K, and I will be gaming at 1440p.

Thanks!

Associate
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I'm getting ready for my new build once the new 30 series GPUs come out but I have a question. I had planned to use Lian Li's Vertical GPU Mount in my Lancool II Mesh for aesthetic reasons, until I realised it has a speed limitation of 8Gb/s. How much would this affect the performance of my GPU? I would like a vertical mount simply because I like the look of it but I certainly don't want to sacrifice performance. For reference the card I'm looking at is the 3080 and the CPU it'll be paired up with is a i9-10900K, and I will be gaming at 1440p.

Thanks!
There is an article on techpower up which says 2080ti saturates pci-e 3 x8 which is 8 gb/s

Permabanned
I am not an expert on this, but parallel cables affect the timing of data transfer over the bus. This is simply because they introduce greater distance between the motherboard and the graphics card. It may sound crazy but the speed of light is pretty slow when you are switching stuff billions of times a second, so distance really upsets parallel data transfer. Trying to keep all the tracks and cables exactly same length becomes a nightmare ( which is why they went to serial cables for HDD's). This is one of the reasons RAM is always so close to the CPU. So, it is not so much that the cable will work up to 8gt/s, rather it will just stop working altogether if you exceed that speed. So I think what the specification is saying is that it will work fine for PCIe 3.0 but it will not work at all for PCIe 4.0. So provided your motherboard is PCIe 3.0 you are fine!

Back
Top Bottom