• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is the RTX 3090 a rip off for £1,400?

Soldato
As I said in the Ampere thread, there's a line somewhere on the price/performance scale. As you move up closer to the line there's "pride of ownership" and e-peen waiving. But once you actually cross over the line, there's embarrassment for getting ripped off. The 2080ti was well on the embarrassment side of that line for me, and apparently a lot of other people too.

It's not that I never buy things for more money than they are worth. I have, and still do. (There's a 3800X in my sig) I'm just not particularly proud of it when I do.

Soldato
Its not really for kids is it (unless mummy and daddy get the kids whatever they want) Its a enthusiast tier so if your a adult and have enough money to buy one then nothing wrong with that.
Sure there's something wrong with it. Because it takes some level of critical thinking to understand that you're buying a product which is about to be end-of-life as soon as I amd competes.

A product that has less vram than the previous two products before it. Which again takes critical thinking skills. Ignoring that in spite of being given that information and knowing to be true based on nvidias history is the actual problem. Or I thought the previous Titan was enough performance? What happened to that previous Titan it just did not just become obsolete if you're just gaming, for example.

Not for me because I already know. The problem is with you thinking you could convince me because you have the money it doesn't matter. That's where I will correct you. And saying that or implying that it doesn't matter, "I want what I want". Is indeed childish.

Therefore if you really don't care is no point in engaging in argument with somebody or a community giving you information to make better choices with your money. Just buy and be done with it. No no need to argue with other forum members about it.

Take a deep breath relax and chill.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It could just be that the stock is quite low for the 3090, maybe not many GA102 chips are high enough quality to be used to create RTX 3090s, and 3/4 are instead used to create RTX 3080s.

That would be similar to the situation with the RTX 2080 TI and TITAN RTX.

The 3090 could become a 'rare' product, rare products that are in high demand are never cheap.

According to the article below, the whole RTX 3000 series is currently in short supply:
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7491...rds-tight-supply-until-end-of-year/index.html

Last edited:
Soldato
It could just be that the stock is quite low for the 3090, maybe not many GA102 chips are high enough quality to be used to create RTX 3090s, and 3/4 are instead used to create RTX 3080s.

That would be similar to the situation with the RTX 2080 TI and TITAN RTX.

The 3090 could become a 'rare' product, rare products that are in high demand are never cheap.

According to article below, the whole RTX 3000 series is currently in short supply:
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7491...rds-tight-supply-until-end-of-year/index.html
That's because of poor yields from Samsung. I wouldn't touch those cards with a ten-foot pole. The return rate is usually pretty high when there's delays like that. I'm sure they'll get it straight just before the end of the year but for right now...

That could also explain why Asus showcase a 3080 using the tuf brand with only a 30hz overclock.

Soldato
Of course its a rip off, just like the 2080ti was.

I don't think the highest most expensive GPU in a release lineup is ever not a rip off.

Man of Honour
I don't think the highest most expensive GPU in a release lineup is ever not a rip off.

Personally I'd be a bit disappointed if there wasn't a halo product at eye watering prices - it is the product stack below that which needs to be better balanced.

Soldato
Personally I'd be a bit disappointed if there wasn't a halo product at eye watering prices - it is the product stack below that which needs to be better balanced.

I agree. When I bought my 2080, it was so overpriced (by about £200). The pricing of the 3080 and 3070 seems on point and those are the products we should be focussing on when we ask the value proposition.

Associate
Looking at Nvidia's own benchmarks its only 50% faster than titan rtx for gaming at 4k so its the same performance than 3080 as that is 50% than the 2080ti.

Associate
All their RTX cards are a rip off. Even the 3080, they've priced their mid-range tiers to higher ones over the past couple generations.

A GTX 970 back in 2014(?) cost £250~, a 980 was £430~. Two years later an GTX 1070 cost 980 money and a 1080 cost 980ti money. The 2070/2080 maintained that and the 3000 cards will likely be even more expensive when board partners start releasing their variants.

As for the 3090, that's their replacement for the loons with more money than sense who didn't mind dropping a grand on a 2080ti. The difference between the 3080 and 3090 allows them a decent buffer now in case AMD really have got something special in the works.
Indeed. GPU prices have significantly worsened, although our perspective of 'value for money' has now been skewed as the RTX 3070 and 3080 just seem to be so much better than their 2000 counterparts!

It's £1400 for a video game card. Try telling your family/friends/colleagues with a straight face that's the kind of stuff you spend money on.

Unless you're a professional gamer, I would consider it a considerable waste of money.

Soldato
Sure there's something wrong with it. Because it takes some level of critical thinking to understand that you're buying a product which is about to be end-of-life as soon as I amd competes.

A product that has less vram than the previous two products before it. Which again takes critical thinking skills. Ignoring that in spite of being given that information and knowing to be true based on nvidias history is the actual problem. Or I thought the previous Titan was enough performance? What happened to that previous Titan it just did not just become obsolete if you're just gaming, for example.

Not for me because I already know. The problem is with you thinking you could convince me because you have the money it doesn't matter. That's where I will correct you. And saying that or implying that it doesn't matter, "I want what I want". Is indeed childish.

Therefore if you really don't care is no point in engaging in argument with somebody or a community giving you information to make better choices with your money. Just buy and be done with it. No no need to argue with other forum members about it.

Take a deep breath relax and chill.

Sorry I had to stop reading because of the tears in my eyes from laughing too hard at the phrase "as soon as AMD competes".

Soldato
For gaming? Yes. For content creation? I don't think so? Awaiting benchmarks to see things in full perspective but I wouldn't buy this just for gaming.

Soldato
Sorry I had to stop reading because of the tears in my eyes from laughing too hard at the phrase "as soon as AMD competes".
I'm sorry I stopped reading at your notion that Nvidia was better. There is a much larger Gaming Market laughing at you with your single title anticipation...drum roll...Cyberpunk 2077. Lol

I'm sure you will get some of the console gaming scraps when it come down to chain. I guess those tears are real after all.:D

Soldato
I'm sorry I stopped reading at your notion that Nvidia was better. There is a much larger Gaming Market laughing at you with your single title anticipation...drum roll...Cyberpunk 2077. Lol

I'm sure you will get some of the console gaming scraps when it come down to chain. I guess those tears are real after all.:D

I'm not planning on getting cyberpunk, nice try though. Last I checked my current nvidia card was still faster than anything AMD have managed in the last, what 5 years of failed promises to release something good?

Soldato
I'm not planning on getting cyberpunk, nice try though. Last I checked my current nvidia card was still faster than anything AMD have managed in the last, what 5 years of failed promises to release something good?

It's not about you. Cyberpunk 2077 is indeed the poster child for ampere. :p

And your card is faster at what "showing numbers"? I take it that you were highly impressed at that video showing 1000fps in that Doom video to right? Lol

If you look at that video just one more time you will notice that the immersion ,responsiveness and speed of the game did not increase beyond 60 frames per second. I'm afraid the chasing of your numbers is futile.:D

Soldato
If you’re buying a 3090 you will, most likely, also need to upgrade your monitor to get the best out of it.

If you want 4K@120hz+ then you’ll be spending another £700 minimum. If you want the very best monitor (Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ or Acer Predator X27) then add another £1,000 to the above.

realistically you’re looking at £3k for top of the line GPU/screen combo.

Im all set to go, had a 4k 120hz hdmi2.1 screen for a year already, just waiting for the 3090 to make this baby go VROOOOOM

Back
Top Bottom