Battlestar Galactica (now containing quite minor spoilers)

Man of Honour
Holy thread revival Batman! I can't believe this thread is so old now.

Anyway, I revived it for a reason... for anyone who fancies watching this again for free, all four seasons are currently streaming on BBC iPlayer.

Associate
I have just been watching this again on blue ray for third time. Probably the best adult no nonsense Scifi story ever. A lot may not have seen it when first released and is well worth the watch

Soldato
This is one of my all time fav sci-fi shows, perfect long story arc. Yes the odd slow episode but imo very hard to fault.

Just wish caprica could have gone on a little longer as I enjoyed that also.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Highly underrated tv series, they somehow managed to pack everything into this series everything from great stories, politics, religion, epic space battles from tons of ships and rounded it off so neatly, if you have not seen it this is perfect lock down binge-watching.

Soldato
Anyway, I revived it for a reason... for anyone who fancies watching this again for free, all four seasons are currently streaming on BBC iPlayer.

I noticed it was on and couldn't resist watching for 5 mins - great shout reviving this thread!

Although it should be noted that the 4 seasons on their own don't portray the whole picture - for that you need to include the specials and even the webisodes!

Man of Honour
Probably the best adult no nonsense Scifi story ever.

While I agree it is worth a watch, no nonsense? There's pleeeeenty of it ref some of the more weird occurrences that go - to my memory - completely unexplained.

The main one I'm thinking of is what is Starbuck and how did she manage to come back from the dead? I'm pretty sure they didn't explain that away with "she's a cylon" or whatever. I can't remember the exact plot points but I was left with the feeling they were trying to make out she was some sort of angel or something :o

It felt like they were tying it in to the other pseudo religious themes that were being thrown about all over the shop for most of the show, but I can't remember for sure.

Not that any of that should dissuade one from watching, it's a brilliant show, and is home to what I consider to be my most loved TV moment, the Adama manoeuvre :cool:

Soldato
Critical Drinker and Doomcock did a four hour livestream talking about BSG, including what they thought the ending meant. I won't link because of a few swearies, but it's there on Youtube if you search for Critical Drinker's Live channel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Over use of the word "frack" annoyed me years ago, might give it another go.
It's so they don't have to drop the f bomb (hate that term), not a bad idea really. To the poster below you, I googled the end after I'd watched it and that's exactly what they were implying.

Associate
While I agree it is worth a watch, no nonsense? There's pleeeeenty of it ref some of the more weird occurrences that go - to my memory - completely unexplained.

No nonsense probably wrong word, but a lot of technology seems plausible and the story although leaves you thinking in areas adds to it in many ways.

Man of Honour
No nonsense probably wrong word, but a lot of technology seems plausible and the story although leaves you thinking in areas adds to it in many ways.

Ah ok, you're right, I totally agree about that. It's definitely more "hard" sci-fi than pretty much anything else aside from potentially The Expanse, although I'm going off others as I haven't seen more than a few minutes of it.

Soldato

The main one I'm thinking of is what is Starbuck and how did she manage to come back from the dead? I'm pretty sure they didn't explain that away with "she's a cylon" or whatever. I can't remember the exact plot points but I was left with the feeling they were trying to make out she was some sort of angel or something :o

It felt like they were tying it in to the other pseudo religious themes that were being thrown about all over the shop for most of the show, but I can't remember for sure.

yeah that is stupid but I`m sure it gets explained in the last episode/series that she is reborn into some kind of new Cylon/Human Hybrid by the good Cylons

Associate
Listen to the battlestar galacticast while doing a re-watch. It's an excellent podcast hosted by tricia helfer (caprica 6) and has guests most weeks from Director, writers and all the main cast. Eddie Olmos is on quite a few times and really passionate about the show.

Not too excited about the new rework they have in planning. I'd rather they had done more spin offs that a reboot.

Man of Honour

Not that any of that should dissuade one from watching, it's a brilliant show, and is home to what I consider to be my most loved TV moment, the Adama manoeuvre :cool:

I have a feeling once upon a time the story was supposed to explore both directions so to speak from human, the synthetic physical life (machine) and transcending human (in a kind of spiritual sense rather than machine) and what you are talking about is remnants of that last one which was never fully developed at least in the TV series and very hard to do without going full on religious theme i.e. Revelations - some of the episode names in season 4 are interesting in that respect. (Obviously there are a lot of religious elements with the colonies as well). The destination originally intended was probably outside of the reality they started in.

Associate
Dang, not knew they plan to continue this. IMO series finale was most fulfilling last episode I ever watched - i still feel that thrill of one of last scenes where Neandertals walk. Not watched it for few years, I may give it a go now.

Man of Honour
I started re-watching the first episode again tonight.

When that nuke hits the side of the Galactica I remembered why I liked it so much the first time

Back
Top Bottom