What "man jobs" have you done today?

Associate
Finally got around to making a bookcase for the alcove, had the idea for years! Used plain old PSE wood..

IMG_20200731_072619.jpg

IMG_20200903_181846.jpg

IMG_20200903_184824.jpg

Soldato
Finally got around to making a bookcase for the alcove, had the idea for years! Used plain old PSE wood..

IMG_20200731_072619.jpg

IMG_20200903_181846.jpg

IMG_20200903_184824.jpg

That looks just like our bookcase - I said to SWMBO if you go first I am binning all those books and the bookcase.
Neat job on the joints
Opps - ours is like the old one - even so my comments still stick. Dust and junk holders. In our house that is.:)

Soldato
Not one to hang about when I get started on something. Replaced the single shelf in the cupboard with a new bit of spruce board (all I could get in homebase) and created a second shelf above. Found two studs which was a bonus and used my metal wall anchors else where.

I then decided to get the cupboard door painted. Some contrasting pics below of the 'inside' side of the door. It's now had 2 coats of undercoat both sides and glossed one side first thing this morning.

NeOM1xMh.jpg

ULLurish.jpg

7iLAyLyh.jpg

Soldato
How does it get so yellow inside? Was it just the original paint that was bad?

Hopefully applying finishing touches today to the networking stuff, then all I have to do is some touch up work.

I could do with installing some decent shelving in my upstairs cupboard, the stuff that was in there before was falling apart so we removed it to get the decorating done, and i haven't gotten around to doing anything else with it yet. It's also housing the boxing for my shower controls in the en-suite.

Soldato
Normal oil based gloss pains go yellow where they don’t get any light.

A lot of people are moving to water based paints as they don’t yellow. The downside is that I don’t find them anywhere near as hardwearing as oil based gloss/satin.

Soldato
How does it get so yellow inside? Was it just the original paint that was bad?

Hopefully applying finishing touches today to the networking stuff, then all I have to do is some touch up work.

I could do with installing some decent shelving in my upstairs cupboard, the stuff that was in there before was falling apart so we removed it to get the decorating done, and i haven't gotten around to doing anything else with it yet. It's also housing the boxing for my shower controls in the en-suite.

Yeah as b0rn2sk8 said really. My bathroom on my middle floor doesn't have a window in it, all the skirting and door were the same horrible yellow colour. The inside of the cupboard was the same. I have literally painted all the wood work in my house apart from my master bedroom and ensuite with the water based stuff now. So far, the lounge was Sept last year and it still looks brilliant white, even behind the sofa's where it doesn't get any light.

Sweet, is everything working on the network side?

My middle floor has the standard airing cupboard type shelving in side which is really handy for bedding etc. When I first moved in, I put twinslot shelving brackets inside my under stair cupboard (found all the studs) and a carpenter friend at work acquired some melamine shelving for me and cut it to the lengths I gave him :D I do like a lot of storage, even if its half empty most of the time!

Soldato
Yeah as b0rn2sk8 said really. My bathroom on my middle floor doesn't have a window in it, all the skirting and door were the same horrible yellow colour. The inside of the cupboard was the same. I have literally painted all the wood work in my house apart from my master bedroom and ensuite with the water based stuff now. So far, the lounge was Sept last year and it still looks brilliant white, even behind the sofa's where it doesn't get any light.

Sweet, is everything working on the network side?

My middle floor has the standard airing cupboard type shelving in side which is really handy for bedding etc. When I first moved in, I put twinslot shelving brackets inside my under stair cupboard (found all the studs) and a carpenter friend at work acquired some melamine shelving for me and cut it to the lengths I gave him :D I do like a lot of storage, even if its half empty most of the time!

The cable run is being put in today that will join the loft switch and it's ports to the router under the stairs, so once done I can get rid of the powerline and switch to using the hardwired ports which will be great!

I had a basic set of shelving in the cupboard but it looked like an incredibly poor DIY job and it was all falling apart. Removed it for now will revisit with something a bit more robust in the future!

Soldato
Oh wow, he has taken quite a bit of time to do it. Price is deffo justified. Mine took a lot of time when I did it too, mainly as I had to chase out concrete floors!

Here is my under stairs cupboard for ideas for yours. Depending how big it is though. These twinslot uprights are really strong if you can find your studs!

E7t1Dalh.jpg

Soldato
He's had to do the jobs in stages i think it would have been possible to do in day or two, but he's had other stuff on so he's just been popping back in to do what he can.

Today hopefully though is the last stage and then it's done fingers crossed!

Associate
This is the final big job before winter, installing the log burner and connecting it to the thermal store.

Saturday evening
20200905-164447.jpg

Sunday evening
20200906-165352.jpg

The chimney above this has been rebuilt when the roof was raised and upstairs put in, the current opening is too small and not central.
I may remove the breast completely and take the floor up, put some proper foundations in for the chimney, damp proof the floor and screed it, then build a new opening wide enough for the stove and associated pipework.

I'll be taking expert advice at this point, this could get out of hand very quickly.

Associate
Swapped out our old dishwasher which was on its last legs

IMG-20200902-183713.jpg

IMG-20200902-183703.jpg

For a cheap second hand one off Facebook until we get round to the new kitchen

IMG-20200903-194335.jpg

Relatively straight forward although had to use a tinder core bit to widen holes in the unit carcasses for the power cable (fixed plug) and feed / drain pipes
I was on dishwasher replacement duty today too. Repaired a really nice integrated Bosch from my parents and upgraded from an old Beko. Just need to sort the door and kickboard now.

Soldato
The uplink cable for the external CAT6 has gone up the external drain pipe pictured here. You can just about make it out sneaking into the soffit but it's pretty subtle.

eSUukBfh.jpg

Internally there is trunking now behind the Sofa, you can just about make it out in the bottom right corner behind the little side table:

hLi3Ch3h.jpg

Due to there being some extra cables, we've had to double up the short runs from the TV unit to the left/right speakers as shown.

The left stuff was adjusted so I need to do a bit of painting near the vertical bit that runs to the power socket.

I also need a longer ethernet cable for the right side which plugs in behind the speaker. The current one is too short to fit properly I think, so it's not in the trunking at the moment. I'll sort that out soon though.

aTfkvEvh.jpg

In the end happy with it all, not included pics of all of it as some was on previous page(s), but the upstairs TV now has 2 plugs and 2 ethernet leads behind it (previously I was running the cables across the floor). The study now has 2 ethernet points near to the desk location, and the lounge has the ethernet run internally instead of via powerline.

In fact this means I can drop powerline everywhere and get hard wired ethernet to everything except the wireless devices like laptops and phones.

Understairs cupboard, it's more of a nook where I keep some stuff alongside my networking kit. That is all stacked on an old shoe rack that didn't really have a good place to live in my new house (same as the coat rack in the cupboard, nowhere good for it in the hallway).

Q8co7Ulh.jpg

The double power socket there was spurred off the one on the other side of the wall, going further back would have meant getting the power cables through the stair divide, possible but of little benefit considering it's in a cupboard that has the door shut most of the time.

The BT hub there has 3 x 1Gbe ports, so loosely speaking I have connected each port to a switch.

One switch is local to the router (right side of the shoe rack), which attaches to the local NAS, hue hub, hive hub etc.

The 2nd one is connected by the port behind the router which is the one that goes up to the loftspace in picture 1 (and then to the bedroom/study from the switch in the loft).

The 3rd one connects to the Lounge via the port on the right hand side wall, the lounge switch then has all of my devices connected to it behind the TV (consoles, AVR etc).

Speaking of stuff going yellow I had to burn about £25 on some new front plates for my extractors, they had gone very off white over the years.

You can see the old one on the left and the new on the right.

9YEiH15h.jpg

Soldato
I ordered some blinds last week and we're meant to to be on 8 - 12 weeks delivery - they took a week! So had to sort out the study and get them installed.

The room has been stripped for months but lockdown and working from home has somewhat slowed progress especially as the flooring I want has been out of stock for months.

Anyways before :

IMG-20200905-091918.jpg

IMG-20200905-091921.jpg

IMG-20200905-140304.jpg

The new windows needed filling round the perimeter

IMG-20200905-093606.jpg

Have the ceiling a paint too

IMG-20200905-163026.jpg

Window perimeter filled, walls and ceiling painted (3 coats) and two coats of gloss on the woodwork

IMG-20200906-140200.jpg

Carpet, underlay and gripper rod ripped up

IMG-20200906-094632.jpg

Then installed a.set of window shutters

IMG-20200906-154458.jpg

IMG-20200906-154429.jpg

Desk back into place for work tomorrow

IMG-20200906-173044.jpg

And tidied up a bit

IMG-20200906-181701.jpg

Just need the new floor down before I finish it off

Back