Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Soldato
What platform/procedure would you recommend for short sighted -4 lens with around -1.5 astigmatism?

Pretty routine, this is really where laser vision correction works best. So you probably can't go wrong with anything. The latest lasers from Wavelight, Schwind and Zeiss platforms are currently the fastest (about 1 second per diopter) and offer all treatment types (wavefront-guided, topography-guided, wavefront-optimised through LASIK or PRK).

Just pick an experienced and highly rated surgeon.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
London Vision Clinic, can't rate them high enough. Had mine done in 2011 (+7 and +8 originally) and had an enhancement this time last year. Prof. Reinstein is arguably the best in the business.

They're pretty good. David Allamby is an excellent surgeon and they use a modern platform. They usually only take routine cases to maintain their 100% 20/20 success rate (i.e. if your best corrected vision before surgery is not 20/20 or better, they reject you).
Fun fact, they refused me and said I'd never be able to have it done and recommended I have lens replacement with my prescription, look at me now.

Soldato
London Vision Clinic, can't rate them high enough. Had mine done in 2011 (+7 and +8 originally) and had an enhancement this time last year. Prof. Reinstein is arguably the best in the business.

Fun fact, they refused me and said I'd never be able to have it done and recommended I have lens replacement with my prescription, look at me now.

They're quite famous for it, if your prescription is complex or you're more than +4 or +5, they refuse you. LVC however usually take cases who are refused by others, and are very good at handling complex cases, enhancements or just fixing problems.

Sgarrista
Commissario
LVC however usually take cases who are refused by others, and are very good at handling complex cases, enhancements or just fixing problems.

While I was at LVC there was a customer who was there for exactly that, went to a high street chain, messed her one eye up and couldnt fix it.

On my follow up consultation she was there again, and LVC had managed to sort it all out. I believe it was Dr Dan who did it.

They really are world class leaders in the field.

Soldato
While I was at LVC there was a customer who was there for exactly that, went to a high street chain, messed her one eye up and couldnt fix it.

On my follow up consultation she was there again, and LVC had managed to sort it all out. I believe it was Dr Dan who did it.

They really are world class leaders in the field.

They actually teach courses for other surgeons on enhancements and correcting screwups. Those courses are super popular, usually fully booked from all over the world well in advance.

Caporegime
I'm sure it's been said but when LASIK goes wrong it can leave patient with chronic pain for the rest of their lives.
Yeah I can't get past this, being risk averse as I am.

As much as I'd love to have great vision without glasses, whatever small risk exists some poor bugger has to be the 1%, and it really sucks if it's you :p

Soldato
Yeah I can't get past this, being risk averse as I am.

As much as I'd love to have great vision without glasses, whatever small risk exists some poor bugger has to be the 1%, and it really sucks if it's you :p

Modern pre-screenings are a lot better at predicting these cases beforehand. It’s now a lot less than 1% that have serious issues, even less than 0.1% in experienced hands.

Associate
Yes, but the noticeable effects only reverse (in most people) by the end of the day. Some people can go a couple of days without needing to put them back in. Generally, the longer you use them daily the better results you'll get.

What's your prescription out of interest? Are there upper and lower limits?

Caporegime
Modern pre-screenings are a lot better at predicting these cases beforehand. It’s now a lot less than 1% that have serious issues, even less than 0.1% in experienced hands.
Serious issues. What about people who end up with dry eyes, needing eye drops daily (etc). That probably isn't classed as a serious issue, I would imagine, but I could be wrong.

Soldato
Mine is -0.5 and -0.75. Usually, it only works up to around 4 dioptres of myopia. Any more and you'd have to look at the laser.

This is generally better though, as for lower limits of myopia, good surgeons will be reluctant to recommend LASIK.

crikey thats a very mild prescription. Do you need glasses/ contacts often?

Soldato
Serious issues. What about people who end up with dry eyes, needing eye drops daily (etc). That probably isn't classed as a serious issue, I would imagine, but I could be wrong.

Dry eyes is one of the things that’s highly predictable, and there are many treatments for dry eyes. There are also procedures that cause dry eyes a lot less (like Smile).

Caporegime
Dry eyes is one of the things that’s highly predictable, and there are many treatments for dry eyes. There are also procedures that cause dry eyes a lot less (like Smile).
Who would you recommend going to for the initial consultation, and even before that, what prep would you recommend.

I wouldn't understand much of the medical science so I would probably simply choose the most reliably successful surgeon/practice regardless of cost (within reason). Wouldn't dream of doing this on the cheap.

Back
Top Bottom