• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** NVIDIA RTX 30 SERIES NOW ONLINE AT OVERCLOCKERS UK (3090 / 3080 / 3070) **

Soldato
I kept getting notifications on my phone from a few websites saying the 3xxx series are poor overclockers. Didnt really pay too much attention as its probably clickbait but FE's are notoriously bad overclockers on the whole as they start throttling at like 80c+ are they just guessing and hedging their bets ? I guess soon we will find out why Nvidia ditched the blower type for this new $150 cooler. I suspect the blowers wouldnt cope with the heat but then I`m just guessing.

Associate
I kept getting notifications on my phone from a few websites saying the 3xxx series are poor overclockers. Didnt really pay too much attention as its probably clickbait but FE's are notoriously bad overclockers on the whole as they start throttling at like 80c+ are they just guessing and hedging their bets ? I guess soon we will find out why Nvidia ditched the blower type for this new $150 cooler. I suspect the blowers wouldnt cope with the heat but then I`m just guessing.

Really? Despite FE blowers cards stopping at Pascal, 2 of my Turing FE cards OC'd up there with the best of them. So long as you have decent cooling, you could maintain decent clocks on them all the time. As for throttling at 80c, well... They actually started throttling somewhere around 40-50c by reducing the clocks in steps as the temps creep up. Somewhere around 88c is where the card will really reign in to keep things in check...

Soldato
So, I am concerned about the MSI card. It is the only card from all the vendors that doesnt have an "open" backplate at the end. There must be a reason all the vendors have gone for this design (and it's obviously not for asthetics). And I do wonder if the MSI card might be the hottest of the bunch because of this?

All the other cards.

GX44MAS_260377_750x750.jpg

GX0ADKF_260341_750x750.jpg

GX05EPL_260317_750x750.jpg

GX122ZT_260294_750x750.jpg

and so on and so on.

Than you have MSI.

GX36CMS_260260_750x750.jpg

Soldato
So long as you have decent cooling,

So, I am concerned about the MSI card. It is the only card from all the vendors that doesnt have an "open" backplate at the end. There must be a reason all the vendors have gone for this design (and it's obviously not for asthetics). And I do wonder if the MSI card might be the hottest of the bunch because of this?

All the other cards

Than you have MSI.

GX36CMS_260260_750x750.jpg

MSI didnt get the memo. :)

You could say the same for the rear fan why has one got it and none of the others ?

MSI might have an open end on the right hand side for airflow whereas the others have it on the rear ?

Caporegime
Sorry if this has been asked before, but which (if any) of the 3080/3090 cards have a fully custom PCB instead of the reference design? I know Nvidia's own Founders Edition doesn't use the reference board.

Nobody knows yet. I suspect the ones with three 8 pin connectors are custom. So far the only rumour I have heard is that all the two 8 pin connector boards available at launch date from AIB are reference. But I would want to know for sure before ordering.

Caporegime
Interesting to see which vendors go for covering the back of the chip and which ones leave it open.

The reviews of the AIb cards should be interesting.

Caporegime
Wonder why some have the chip exposed and others don't, wonder how much blocking that increases temps.

Will all depend on the backplate as well. The better AIB have backplates made out of metal so they may help with cooling the back of the chip, some AIB have gone with plastic and have covered the back of the chip and will be blocking all the heat into the board.

I think with this gen more than ever there are going to be some big differences between the cooling performance of AIBs and hence the maximum boost their cards can hold.

Personally until reviews come out I would be going for an AIB that has a metal backplate and cutouts at the fan end.

Soldato
It absolutely sums it up in a nutshell ! I hate Nvidia for this. I spent a ridiculous sum on a 2080ti and like a complete double idiot I will spend a fortune on a 3090.
You shouldn't. This is your hobby and like any hobby, value is subjective. You have been able to enjoy the absolute pinnacle of gaming technology and it sounds like you can afford to do so again. Be happy in that fact. So long as you can afford it, enjoy your technology and don't think of the cost - life is too short and you take nothing with you :)

Soldato
Watched a bit of MSI's 3000 series livestream and they are banking on a design that has some heatpipes running above the PCB (and making contact with the backplate for dissipation). Unsure of how many of their models will have this design. If it pays off and keeps GPU temps reasonable, it should in theory help to keep CPU temps down unlike those cards with ventilated backplate. Some reviewers have already mentioned CPU temps being something they will look at for the Founder's Edition. Proof will be in the pudding. Will MSI have messed up or did they take into account both CPU and GPU temps when designing. Does the heat of the backplate affect CPU temps as much as hot air getting blown upwards constantly? No idea.

Associate
Watched a bit of MSI's 3000 series livestream and they are banking on a design that has some heatpipes running above the PCB (and making contact with the backplate for dissipation). Unsure of how many of their models will have this design. If it pays off and keeps GPU temps reasonable, it should in theory help to keep CPU temps down unlike those cards with ventilated backplate. Some reviewers have already mentioned CPU temps being something they will look at for the Founder's Edition. Proof will be in the pudding. Will MSI have messed up or did they take into account both CPU and GPU temps when designing. Does the heat of the backplate affect CPU temps as much as hot air getting blown upwards constantly? No idea.

You'll only have a CPU temp problem if your using air cooling, on the other hand if your using a 360 front mounted rad like I am in my 570x it makes jack difference what heat is being thrown at the AIO block, perks of being front mounted.

Back
Top Bottom