Anyone else suddenly getting lots of requests from Google/Youtube to accept Cookies?

Soldato
The last few days Google/Youtube have suddenly started spamming a big window to accept their cookies , anyone else getting lots of requests?

Man of Honour
Seems to have stopped . maybe it was a glitch with Ublock Origin?

I don't use Ublock Origin and the same thing happened to me, so it wasn't a glitch with Ublock Origin. It was something new at Google's end. You were also required to give gstatic permission to run scripts. If you didn't, you couldn't click on the accept cookies button on the popup. I hope they don't turn it back on again. It was irritating.

Soldato
OP
I don't use Ublock Origin and the same thing happened to me, so it wasn't a glitch with Ublock Origin. It was something new at Google's end. You were also required to give gstatic permission to run scripts. If you didn't, you couldn't click on the accept cookies button on the popup. I hope they don't turn it back on again. It was irritating.

Thanks for confirming that , lets hope they are not testing new settings on some of their servers as it was very annoying.

Man of Honour
And it's back.

It looks like an attempt by Google to get people to only use Youtube while logged in so they can be farmed for data more effectively. That's the first message I get in the pop-up, a pop-up crafted to push you into clicking on the log in button. It's only after pressing the "don't log in" button that the second pop-up appears about cookies. Also, unsurprisingly, any adverts at the beginning of the video play just fine without pushing you into logging in or accepting cookies and forcing you to allow another Google thing to run scripts on your PC.

Soldato
Not on youtube possibly because I have all ads etc blocked there but everywhere else, yes. If you disable tracking advertising etc cookies you'll be constantly pestered to turn them back on confirm your choices.

Associate
I use Duck Duck Go search instead. Google is horrible for farming your data and this is presumably just another attempt to harass people into making accounts and staying logged in to avoid the hassle.

Soldato
OP
This is just plainly weird...

google.co.uk doesn't ask to accept cookies yet google.com does , Youtube.com automatically swaps you over to GB (as country of origin yet) sometimes it asks and other times it doesn't?

Soldato
OP
I'm seeing lots of complaints about this on places like reddit and apparently it's to do with them being more aggressively GDPR compliant and add-ons like ublock refuse to block it as standard.

uBO Team 2 days ago
Why is this solution not already included in the filterlists?

Because we don't fix GDPR issues.

Is this addon still working for you on Google and Youtube?

Back
Top Bottom