Adaptive cruise...

Soldato
The only negative thing with the one in our Leon is when you pull out to overtake on a dual carriageway or motorway, it cuts power so you have to use the accelerator to overtake. But that's a really small annoyance in the grand scheme of things. It's generally pretty brilliant.

Soldato
Tap the accelerator pedal it should then undertake. It does on my A6 at least.
Ah ok, at the moment I just override it with the throttle but I'll try just giving it a tap.
The only negative thing with the one in our Leon is when you pull out to overtake on a dual carriageway or motorway, it cuts power so you have to use the accelerator to overtake. But that's a really small annoyance in the grand scheme of things. It's generally pretty brilliant.
That is a pain, I find it is reacting to the car you are approaching the back of. The only way to avoid that is to pull out earlier but you have to do so with quite a big gap left which probably annoys other drivers.

Soldato
Soldato
Even with the shortest follow setting you have to pull out to overtake VERY early otherwise the car will start to drop speed and match the car in front.

With this, if the car has lane assist I find it good to indicate out into the next lane early, so the car knows that you are moving into the next lane and then it will not start to drop speed

Associate
ACC is fantastic. I have had it on a few hire cars when I used to drive long distances, and it just made my journey so much more enjoyable. I would arrive at my destinations a lot more relaxed.

I tried VW's and Volvo's system, and they were both very good, with the Volvo system edging it as it allowed the car to come to a complete stop and start again, where's the VW system I had would require you to brake towards the end.

Caporegime
Having tried adaptive cruise in a truck I liked it but unlike car systems I felt it let me get way too close to what’s in front, and doesn’t seem to allow for the truck being fully loaded or lightly loaded - which has a considerable effect on braking - it seems to behave the same regardless of payload, which isn’t how you drive an hgv!

I can see it’s benefits but for commercial vehicles at least, has a bit more development required before I’d really trust it.

Man of Honour
Thing is the system can react at shortest setting (in those I have experience of) but there are just no tolerances - if anything unexpected happens you are out of options. Medium settings are about right for driving with a degree of tolerance for things going wrong if you think that is like your mother driving I'm guessing you are one of those people clamped to my tailgate :(

Soldato
Longest setting is the most cautious anyway...

JLR system sound the opposite, accelerates too harshly, even in eco will happily drop a gear, on a lane change when stuff moves out the way but suppose it’s to make sure overtakes complete quickly back to target speed.

Caporegime
If you think adaptive cruise with the sensing distance on minimum is too cautious then I hope I never drive anywhere near you :eek:

Totally agree. On the shortest setting on my VW, its almost tailgating the car in front and I certainly dont feel comfortable letting it be in control at high speeds and that close to the car in front. It may be able to sense if the car in front starts braking quickly, quicker than me but it would have to be a perfect emergency stop to avoid a rear end collision.

Associate
ACC is fantastic. I have had it on a few hire cars when I used to drive long distances, and it just made my journey so much more enjoyable. I would arrive at my destinations a lot more relaxed.

I tried VW's and Volvo's system, and they were both very good, with the Volvo system edging it as it allowed the car to come to a complete stop and start again, where's the VW system I had would require you to brake towards the end.
I have ACC in my Golf R and it definitely will come to a full stop and move off again. A godsend for that M25 and M4 traffic.

Soldato
loaded or lightly loaded - which has a considerable effect on braking
interesting, even for a car, it would be nice if the system callibrated itself from braking efficiency it had measured from that trip+road conditions.
or, even allowed you to set the distance, relative to a car ahead, wolfie can set it to it's back seat.

Associate
I have ACC in my Golf R and it definitely will come to a full stop and move off again. A godsend for that M25 and M4 traffic.

I know that VW has a system that can come to a full stop etc, but in my rental Golf (and a colleague's Leon) it wouldn't do that, so might be an extra 'pack' you have to spec.

Man of Honour
Possibly different firmware versions or something - I know my parents Touran has the features but some weren't initially enabled for some reason and work a bit different to the same features in the Golf, etc.

Totally agree. On the shortest setting on my VW, its almost tailgating the car in front and I certainly dont feel comfortable letting it be in control at high speeds and that close to the car in front. It may be able to sense if the car in front starts braking quickly, quicker than me but it would have to be a perfect emergency stop to avoid a rear end collision.

The system itself will be able to react and bring the vehicle to a stop in time - however there is IMO no error margin - if for some reason something unexpected happens you are screwed. Unfortunately too many people seem to think because a system lets them do something it is safe to do it hence so often we get dumbed down systems that lock out many options/parameters.

Back
Top Bottom