• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So there is no such thing as lower textures? Not like there is two texture settings, Ultra and Ultra Crap. There are many in between and one below ultra would be very good and work just fine, so no brick wall ;)
But textures are usually the best setting to crank up if you want the game to look good. I'd prefer max textures and minimum everything else then max settings with lowest textures. Even turning down textures one notch would annoy me if I bought a £600 gpu recently.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
i am sorry but do you pay £650+ to play on medium settings?
Go read my post again. No mention of medium settings from what I can see? Oh and I will be paying £649 and sell the codes that come with it plus after cash back it will closer to £620.

But textures are usually the best setting to crank up if you want the game to look good. I'd prefer max textures and minimum everything else then max settings with lowest textures. Even turning down textures one notch would annoy me if I bought a £600 gpu recently.
Not sure about that, but that’s fine, then buy a 3090 if you are worried about it ;)

I will not let the chance of a few future titles I may play needing one lower setting of textures put me off. As I said, the 3080 will let me play all my games max textures no problems, so it is just some future titles that may need one setting lower. Also one setting lower does not mean medium. So far I am looking forward to 3 future titles, they all have DLSS, so I can’t seen myself having any issues any time soon.

Each to their own though, you don’t like it, buy a 3090 or wait for a 16gb or 20gb card to come out or wait for AMD. None of those apply to me though, no matter what anyone says. Been gaming on PC for over two decades now, I think I know what will be fine for my personal needs for the next 2 years ;)

These days in many titles you need to take still screenshots to see the difference between high and very high anyways. People like to make it sound like if not on highest, it means you are on medium or low. No mate don’t think so.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
You most likely won't run into any issues any time soon but it would be annoying if AMD release a 16gb card then Nvidia go "taaada here's our 20gb versions we had all along".
True, but Nvidia will then want more than £650 which is already as much as I would ever want to pay. AMD is not an option for me this time around as I have 2 G-Sync panels, one OLED and the other my 4K monitor. Why pay more for something you might need? By the time I do I will be rocking a 5nm next gen card with 16-20gb’s anyways.

Soldato
None then, so far. :)

the 2 spare unpopulated memory slots on the 3080 pcb.

Haaaa :D

Choo choo

Edit:
Is there any evidence that could be provided that suggests beyond just hyperbole, opinions, and conjecture that adding just 2 more GB of vram is enough for future ported console games at higher resolutions...in an open world environment using ray tracing and texture/asset streaming? Without resorting to using old games as a false equivalence?

Yes, we've seen doom eternal. Which was rebuked using an OC 2080ti. But who, on average, pays several hundred for a new gpu just to replay old games...rhetorical I know. However, the point I'm bringing up is what new games are on the table other then cyberpunkb2077 that will attract the masses other then just performance?

You see, someone like me stopped chasing performance over a year ago. Now, I'm looking for substance.

Right now, the best these gpus offer is writing text in a forum more so then playing games. I wonder what fps is for that?

Last edited:
Associate
VRAM is mainly an issue for large world games where there are many objects at once on screen that require high resolution textures, if you generally play close quarter games (most AAA games) then 10GB is more than enough as texture streaming heavily reduces VRAM usage in such environments.

Games like DCS (combat flight sim) at higher resolutions have been known to use more than 11GB, so you might want to wait for the 3080Ti/BigNavi 16GB if this affects you.

DirectStorage (RTX IO) should lead to a ~30% reduction in VRAM usage as developers no longer need to use mipmaps.

Soldato
VRAM is mainly an issue for large world games where there are many objects at once on screen that require high resolution textures, if you generally play close quarter games (most AAA games) then 10GB is more than enough as texture streaming heavily reduces VRAM usage in such environments.

Games like DCS (combat flight sim) at higher resolutions have been known to use more than 11GB, so you might want to wait for the 3080Ti/BigNavi 16GB if this affects you.
:eek::eek:

But I still see high vram usage with high resolution textures beyond 1080p even in those close quarter games. However, you just won the argument against those who defended 10GB as "enough"!!!
Congrads :D

Soldato
DirectStorage for Windows will let games leverage NVIDIA’s cutting-edge RTX IO and provide game developers with a highly efficient and standard way to get the best possible performance from the GPU and I/O system. With DirectStorage, game sizes are minimized, load times reduced, and virtual worlds are free to become more expansive and detailed, with smooth & seamless streaming.” - Bryan Langley - Group Program Manager for Windows Graphics and Gaming

NVIDIA RTX IO plugs into Microsoft’s upcoming DirectStorage API, which is a next-generation storage architecture designed specifically for gaming PCs equipped with state-of-the-art NVMe SSDs, and the complex workloads that modern games require. Together, the streamlined and parallelized APIs, specifically tailored for games, allow dramatically reduced IO overhead and maximize performance/bandwidth from NVMe SSD to your RTX IO-enabled GPU.

Specifically, NVIDIA RTX IO brings GPU-based lossless decompression, allowing reads through DirectStorage to remain compressed while being delivered to the GPU for decompression. This removes the load from the CPU, moving the data from storage to the GPU in its more efficient, compressed form, and improving I/O performance by a factor of 2.

Geforce RTX GPUs are capable of decompression performance beyond the limits of even Gen4 SSDs, offloading dozens of CPU cores’ worth of work to deliver maximum overall system performance for next generation games.

Microsoft is targeting a developer preview of DirectStorage for Windows for game developers next year, and NVIDIA RTX gamers will be able to take advantage of RTX IO-enhanced games as soon as they become available.

What's interesting is that their is no technical reason why it's limited to just Ampere. It looks to me that if Nvidia wanted to they could use this in Turing as well.
I'm not sure of the benefit of Ampere in this use case.

Associate
You most likely won't run into any issues any time soon but it would be annoying if AMD release a 16gb card then Nvidia go "taaada here's our 20gb versions we had all along".

That is whats going to happen.
3080 should never had 10gb to start with for a flagship
Bad idea

Next to no games have VRAM utilisation exceeding 8Gb up to 4k as far as I can see at the moment. (System RAM yes, but that a different discussion).

Microsoft Flight Sim 2020 is probably the exception.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pag..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,4.html
But it was noted that it did not make any noticeable difference to the actual performance, 8Gb cards ran just a well as 11Gb and 16Gb cards.

Soldato
I feel like vram usage can be arbitrarily ballooned by any developer.

No matter how much vram you have it will never be enough for a game that's coded to use more than what you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom