10Gbps switch/router query

Associate
Hi All

With a 10Gbps internet connection into a building (FTTP) what kit should it be paired with for optimum performance?

I am assuming the connection comes in, then it should be connected to a 10Gbps switch, this is where I become confused after this..

Where does a router come into play and what kind does it need to be?

• PC will have a 10Gbps network card.
  • Switch will be 10Gbps.
  • Current wireless routers (ASUS RT-AX92U AX6100 Wi-Fi 6) are only 1Gbps Ethernet capable

Use case requirements would be:
  • PC to be able to use the 10Gbps connection
  • All other devices on network to need maximum of a gigabit connection, including a NAS.

Without spending an absolute fortune what is a suitable way to go?

So far I have considered:

• Netgear RX9000
    • This has 1 10Gbps port which I assume would connect to a switch, with the switch connected to the ONT?
  • S3900-24T4S 24-Port 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit L2+ Stackable Managed Ethernet Switch with 4 10Gb SFP+ Uplinks, Fanless
    • This would connect to the router above via 10G port and then all of my other kit would connect to the standard gigabit ports.
    • Leaves some spare ports for future proofing
  • TP-LINK T1700G-28TQ JetStream 24 Port Gigabit Stackable Smart Switch with 4 10GE SFP+ Slots
    • As above, little bit cheaper - but its a name I have at least heard of!
  • 10G network cards in a PC to handle routing
    • Connect PC direct to switch and then run something inside a VM (pfsense etc?) to act as a router
    • Would this be better/worse than using the Netgear router above? (Netgear router will cost about 300 quid)

Thats all for now!

Soldato
The first thing connected to the incoming connection is going to be the router. Any switches and other devices will connect behind it.

Doesn't the connection provider have recommendations? A router capable of handling a connection of that speed is going to be non-trivial. You aren't going to be looking at the sort of domestic devices the likes of Asus produce, even their top-end stuff. That Netgear, for example, does have a SPF+ port so is 10GbE capable, but that's only on the LAN side. On the WAN side, it's still only Gigabit.

Caporegime
Have you considered saving an incredible amount of cash and settling for 1Gbps? You want to route and NAT 10Gbps, that isn't cheap.

Don
Is the Internet connection actually 10Gbps? (I wasn't aware FTTP was even an option at 10Gbps yet)

Even if you have a 10Gbps connection, then what is the use case?
i.e.
Does one PC need to be able to utilise the whole connection (in which case that PC and the rest of the network needs to be 10Gbps), or is it a case of e.g. 10PCs all needing 1Gbps at the same time?

Bearing in mind that even with a 10Gbps connection, you probably won't be able to download at 10Gbps

Associate
OP
The first thing connected to the incoming connection is going to be the router. Any switches and other devices will connect behind it.

Doesn't the connection provider have recommendations? A router capable of handling a connection of that speed is going to be non-trivial. You aren't going to be looking at the sort of domestic devices the likes of Asus produce, even their top-end stuff. That Netgear, for example, does have a SPF+ port so is 10GbE capable, but that's only on the LAN side. On the WAN side, it's still only Gigabit.

They have suggested the XG-7100 - a pfSense device - going to be not short of £1k though!

The SPF+ port on those Netgear routers can be configured to also act as a WAN port, but as there is only one how would I connect this to the ONT and switch?

Ref: https://kb.netgear.com/000060605/Ho...or-WAN-on-my-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-R8900-or-R9000

I think if I want to look at the consumer side of things it is going to be this: https://www.asus.com/Networking/RT-AX89X/

That would allow a connection to the ONT and also to a 10Gb switch. But I cant find that anywhere in the UK.

However...looking at a separate switch and router, the price is going up of course - so maybe I am indeed better off looking for an all in one like that XG-7100 or similar? (Looking at the spec though, surely a PC could handle this with ease, even in a VM? It is only a quad core atom with 8GB ram and a couple of 10Gb network cards...I think?

Associate
OP
Have you considered saving an incredible amount of cash and settling for 1Gbps? You want to route and NAT 10Gbps, that isn't cheap.

I have and it is starting to become more and more obvious that I really should stick with 1Gbps! Must be a way though....surely? :D

Associate
OP
So would this work:

1 x Netgear R9000 with the 10Gbps port set as WAN, connected to a 10Gbs switch - which is then connected to the ONT from the provider?

Then I can connect a PC with a 10Gbps card to the switch and anything else (gigabit) to the gigabit ports on the switch?

Associate
OP
Is the Internet connection actually 10Gbps? (I wasn't aware FTTP was even an option at 10Gbps yet)

Even if you have a 10Gbps connection, then what is the use case?
i.e.
Does one PC need to be able to utilise the whole connection (in which case that PC and the rest of the network needs to be 10Gbps), or is it a case of e.g. 10PCs all needing 1Gbps at the same time?

Bearing in mind that even with a 10Gbps connection, you probably won't be able to download at 10Gbps

It is, yep. 10Gbps sequential!

Main use case is one machine acting as the master machine, which will have a 10Gbps card in. This will be used for uploading and downloading.

Thought process is:

Netgear R9000 - with the WAN port set to be the 10Gbps port. This will be connected to a 10Gbps switch, then the switch will connect (initially) only to a PC via 10Gbps, everything else will be 1Gbps.

Associate
When you jump from 1Gbit to 10Gbit that's a huge jump in load on all network devices especially a router with a 10Gbps internet connection due to firewall rules and other services you may enable on it. Even the XG-7100 doesn't appear to be able to max out a 10Gbit for the firewall, see here:
https://store.netgate.com/XG-7100.aspx

That shows 6.81 Gbps for firewall and with more services/complex traffic its even slower. It can L3 forward well over 10Gbps but that's not what you would be using it for. You really need to ensure that all the devices in the chain can manage 10Gbit with the features you require and that's not cheap.

I would be surprised if the R9000 has the power to firewall 10Gbps (not checked, just going on cost/hardware).

Soldato
Netgear R9000 - with the WAN port set to be the 10Gbps port.
Is this even possible? It's specifically marketed as a faster option for connecting something like a NAS. Even if it does allow it there's zero chance that router will have the processing power to get anyway near the throughput you'd need.

What's the budget for this? £100s or £1,000s?

Associate
OP
When you jump from 1Gbit to 10Gbit that's a huge jump in load on all network devices especially a router with a 10Gbps internet connection due to firewall rules and other services you may enable on it. Even the XG-7100 doesn't appear to be able to max out a 10Gbit for the firewall, see here:
https://store.netgate.com/XG-7100.aspx

That shows 6.81 Gbps for firewall and with more services/complex traffic its even slower. It can L3 forward well over 10Gbps but that's not what you would be using it for. You really need to ensure that all the devices in the chain can manage 10Gbit with the features you require and that's not cheap.

I would be surprised if the R9000 has the power to firewall 10Gbps (not checked, just going on cost/hardware).

Yeah that was what put me off the 7100, didn’t seem to be able to actually handle 10Gbps. Been reading up and pfSense have another product, TNSR which seems to be better suited to the higher speeds.

Good point on the R9000, probably not!

Associate
OP
Is this even possible? It's specifically marketed as a faster option for connecting something like a NAS. Even if it does allow it there's zero chance that router will have the processing power to get anyway near the throughput you'd need.

What's the budget for this? £100s or £1,000s?

It is, according to Netgear anyway. https://kb.netgear.com/000060605/Ho...or-WAN-on-my-NETGEAR-Nighthawk-R8900-or-R9000

Budget I want to keep under £1000 really. The lower the better, but accept lower price could well just equal rubbish!

Soldato
No way that Netgear is capable of routing at 10Gbps.

You're going to need to spend on a router capable of routing at that speed with 2 SPF+ ports, one for WAN and one for connection to your PC which will also need a 10G capable card (hope you've got a fast disk array in it because that'll become a bottleneck otherwise)

It's by no means my area of expertise but even with that healthy £1,000 budget I can only think of building a monster PC and running *Sense on it or a Mikrotik CCR1036-8G-2S+

If you want 10G firewalling with an official Netgate appliance you're looking at the XG-1537 which is twice the budget. No doubt enterprise solutions are available from Cisco etc. for more $$$$

I don't know what you're going to do with all that bandwidth that wouldn't be perfectly adequate with 1Gbps bandwidth (unless you've got hundreds of clients) but good luck to you as I am more than slightly envious sat here on my FTTC connection.

Caporegime
10Gb through a single connection will cost you more than £1000. If the stuff you're trying to do is multi-threaded then there are less expensive options.

Associate
OP
10Gb through a single connection will cost you more than £1000. If the stuff you're trying to do is multi-threaded then there are less expensive options.

No way that Netgear is capable of routing at 10Gbps.

You're going to need to spend on a router capable of routing at that speed with 2 SPF+ ports, one for WAN and one for connection to your PC which will also need a 10G capable card (hope you've got a fast disk array in it because that'll become a bottleneck otherwise)

It's by no means my area of expertise but even with that healthy £1,000 budget I can only think of building a monster PC and running *Sense on it or a Mikrotik CCR1036-8G-2S+

If you want 10G firewalling with an official Netgate appliance you're looking at the XG-1537 which is twice the budget. No doubt enterprise solutions are available from Cisco etc. for more $$$$

I don't know what you're going to do with all that bandwidth that wouldn't be perfectly adequate with 1Gbps bandwidth (unless you've got hundreds of clients) but good luck to you as I am more than slightly envious sat here on my FTTC connection.

Thanks both, very useful info as ever!

I essentially need (need being a very subjective word of course!) 10Gbps only on one PC. Nothing else on the network will be/need 10Gb.

Does this change anything at all?

Caporegime
No - what is the traffic flow that needs to hit 10Gbps to your one PC? Is it a single connection or is it made up of multiple connections working alongside each other, such as what happens when Steam downloads a game.

Associate
OP
No - what is the traffic flow that needs to hit 10Gbps to your one PC? Is it a single connection or is it made up of multiple connections working alongside each other, such as what happens when Steam downloads a game.

Flow would be from things like usenet and also to/from Google Cloud. Anything else I could make do with slower connections.

I suppose I could make i work with the one input split into multiple? Fairly open to different suggestions, preference would be for one big pipe as I say, but wouldn’t be the end of the world should it need to be split to stop things becoming silly expensive.

I’m happy to spend around 3k max on a PC/Server/Workstation and the right hardware to get the best out of this. I was thinking 1k max for this as I had earmarked about 2k for a PC/Workstation kinds a setup.

Could I go all out with the computer and tick all the boxes at once maybe?

Soldato
Flow would be from things like usenet and also to/from Google Cloud

If you mean Gdrive, you know if you can saturate that link to Google’s servers you’ll breach the daily upload limit in under a quarter of an hour?

And not that I wish to make any assumptions on your use case, but research Plexguide, go gigabit on your internet and save yourself money overall.

Associate
OP
If you mean Gdrive, you know if you can saturate that link to Google’s servers you’ll breach the daily upload limit in under a quarter of an hour?

And not that I wish to make any assumptions on your use case, but research Plexguide, go gigabit on your internet and save yourself money overall.

Yep, that’s a fair point. I know plexdrive gets around this by using team drives and rclone (or similar, cant remember the name now). Thats a good call actually, I could run plexguide in a VM locally to handle all of that side. Had completely forgot about that tbh, thanks for the reminder!

I’m really leaning towards just going gigabit. Will be gigabit as it happens for the first few weeks whilst they wait for an upgrade to complete on their backbone - so I will get a good feel for that at home. Only ever had it on a remote server, so never seems real if you get what I mean!

If the gigabit works well (why wouldn’t it?) I could just stick with that, or even add a couple more for pennies (27/month for each additional)

Always jump into stuff head first, it’s a bad habit haha!

Associate
OP
Looks like I should knock spend off the PC (as it was overkill anyway it seems!) and concentrate on a proper 10G router/switch like the Mikrotik CCR1036-8G-2S+

Suppose it makes sense, if I scrimp on the connectivity then it’s pointless.

If I just remove the 2080 card out of the PC spec it’s paid for! I didn’t need that sort of card anyway, as I like the idea of gaming on a PC but in reality I never would!!

Actually reading more, not sure that Mikrotik would work, cant see how much firewall throughout it can handle?

Only thing I have found with actual figures that seem to be able to max out the 10Gbps when firewalled is something like DrayTek Vigor 3910. Anything else?

Getting there! You know what is catching my eye though, looking at the spec of each device I find, seems to be a quad core processor with 4/8GB ram and some network cards.

So far the best I can find within a reasonable price, is that Draytek 3910:

Quad Core 1.2Ghz CPU
Unknown RAM (probably 4GB, that seems to be the norm?)
Up to 9Gps throughput
Up to 3Gbps VPN.

What I cant understand is why wouldn’t the money better spent on a PC which has a much more powerful CPU and more RAM, with the network cards. Surely that would give me better performance? (Is it just CPU/RAM that would determine the VPN and NAT performance?)

Back
Top Bottom