***The Official OcUK Lego Thread***

Soldato
Folks... I got a couple of questions...

1. The Sian. Some people on HUKD seem to think it could go below £200.... really?
HUKD posters always want Lego sets at a certain price. Then when it gets to that price, posters will then say they are waiting for it to be even lower.
It could get to sub-£200 given the Bugatti did, but will be a while before that happens.

Soldato
Lego isn’t really known for making changes to products once they launch, I wouldn’t hold out any hope for any ‘fixes’. They tend to just bin them if there are any significant issues (which this really isn’t).

I think the issue is that they use two different eg types of plastic for two parts next to each other and the colour/finish doesn’t quite match. I can’t see that changing any time soon, if ever.

Soldato
Alarming? That’s a bit dramatic. :p

I’d suggest is an overly vocal minority who have taken issue with it and is unlikely to materially damage sales. In reality the colour difference is pretty minor, like any company they’ll weigh that up against the cost of retooling and make a decision.

Soldato
Alarming? That’s a bit dramatic. :p

I’d suggest is an overly vocal minority who have taken issue with it and is unlikely to materially damage sales. In reality the colour difference is pretty minor, like any company they’ll weigh that up against the cost of retooling and make a decision.

I just was talking to a friend who swears by all the knock offs etc and he doesnt by Lego.

And showing me the Sian equivalents which are like 60-70 Euros or so...

(Thats why I used the word alarming but perhaps something like "concerning" :))

Soldato
Kylo rens shuttle where they just issued a brand new set...
What was the issue with that set?

I just was talking to a friend who swears by all the knock offs etc and he doesnt by Lego.

And showing me the Sian equivalents which are like 60-70 Euros or so...

(Thats why I used the word alarming but perhaps something like "concerning" :))

Lego knocks offs are cheap for a reason (well a few). ABS plastic is incredibly cheap, as is cardboard, shipping is subsidised by the Chinese state.

Putting aside issues like U.K. taxes, they don’t pay for the IP and just copy other people’s designs. They are often made in ‘underground’ factories in what would be considered slave labor in the U.K. When you consider that’s where all the cost comes from no wonder it’s so cheap...

Don’t get me wrong, not all the Chinese brick companies steal their designs and can be good quality as shown in this thread but I don’t really have time for those that do.

There has been issues with fake toys in the past containing all sorts of toxic chemicals which are banned in the EU. Would you be confident giving something like that to your kid?

Associate
I really. really wanted to buy the Lego Sian. I'm a Lambo nut and have been since I had a Countach poster on my bedroom wall in the mid Seventies. I'm also a Lego Technic fan , or rather, I was.

If you read the recent reviews on Legos own websites all over the world , the colour mis match thing is Still an issue and for Lego to say that it's an acceptable "part of the process" is just not on IMO.

There's No Way in Hell I'm shelling out top dollar for a sub standard thing like that that can't be rectified. No way.

Being desperate to build the car I've just taken delivery of an "alternative" version of the Sian. Yes it's from China. Yes it's a complete copy. Yes it's not the done thing , But.

The colour match is absolutely perfect across all parts.

Why can't Lego do this?

Soldato
There has been issues with fake toys in the past containing all sorts of toxic chemicals which are banned in the EU. Would you be confident giving something like that to your kid?
As an aside the blocks/plastic from many of the more well known Chinese brands have been tested by quite a few groups online and from what I recall they were pretty much exact same stuff as Lego use.

Soldato
Interesting insights from both sides here.

Argh... what to do....

Youd like to think you will get premium quality going Lego directly, but to see the aforementioned colour issues, youd think they would take care of such considering forking out £300 or so...

Caporegime
Interesting insights from both sides here.

Argh... what to do....

Youd like to think you will get premium quality going Lego directly, but to see the aforementioned colour issues, you'd think they would take care of such considering forking out £300 or so...
I have a Sian arriving on Wednesday, will post about the colour match when i start building which will likely be the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom