People who go and sit in their car to eat their luncheon at work

Associate
Weirdows and man babies that can't cope with social interaction. Feel secure behind the wheel of their astra.

Change my mind.
I use to drive a Vauxhall Astra and use to eat my lunch in my car whilst listening to the radio. The winters were the worst. Also, cannot cope with social interaction.
Now I don't drive in to work, so eat lunch on my own. And today I was called a weirdo.

Soldato
I've done this before.

Sometimes you just need a break from people for whatever reason, I like to listen to music or read during my breaks to relax and enjoy a bit of time to myself.

I remember one guy I used to work with who would talk constantly, if he spotted you in the canteen he'd be over and sit down uninvited and immediately begin chuntering on about football. It didn't matter if you responded or not, it didn't matter if you liked or had any interest in the sport, I'm pretty sure he just loved the sound of his own voice. I have absolutely zero interest in said sport and he seriously got on my nerves, wasn't really the type you could talk too either as he'd went in the huff with people in the past (without taking the hint) when they'd asked to be left alone.

I go to work to work, and while I'll be polite and friendly within reason I'm not there for a social life. I might make some good friends, but I don't necessarily want to spend all my time talking to colleagues, some of them like the above example just get on your wick.

Caporegime
I use to drive a Vauxhall Astra and use to eat my lunch in my car whilst listening to the radio. The winters were the worst. Also, cannot cope with social interaction.
Now I don't drive in to work, so eat lunch on my own. And today I was called a weirdo.

I said change don't agree with... :0

Associate
I enjoy lunch breaks on my own. Going to the gym, for a walk or in previous jobs sometimes sitting in my car. It's a nice break from the office, gets met out of the same environment and gives me time to relax listening to a podcast.
I didn't find it weird. I spend all day talking Infront of groups of people, so saw it as a change of pace. I still enjoy social lunches too but also enjoy being on my own.

Caporegime
I've done this in the past. I don't see why you'd think its weird, or why you would think it is any of your business to be quite honest.

You will probably have a more comfortable seat, which can recline!
You are coccooned away from everything so it is easier to relax. Separated from the chatter and the ringing phones and other things you might wish to forget exist for an hour.
You won't get asked to do anything, and nobody will bother you. (This is the big one, as previously discussed)
You can listen to music/watch youtube/netflix using the cars infotainment
You can have a nap!
Maybe you keep your food in the car?
If you don't like your job its a way to seperate out your personal time (or even if you do like your job)
You can make/take private phone calls without standing in a corridor
You can smoke, if you are that way inclined (cigarettes, not illegal drugs)
etc...

To be honest the merits seem so obvious that the people saying they don't understand it at all are surely the ones who don't have a firm grip on life.

Also not sure if the people suggesting they are "doing drugs" are serious or not!

Last edited:
Soldato
Used to sit in the car at a call centre job....if you weren’t taking a call you were free to talk to the others, there really was no need/desire to have a full hour of non stop chat with them at lunch/breaks!

Associate
Have done this before in my first ever job. Crappy call centre, relentless pressure, managers whose motto seemed to be live to work. I didn't like taking breaks at my desk because there was an unspoken yet uncomfortable expectation you would "show willing" and help out when it was busy, and that quickly led to you working through your break all the time. I quickly learned to leave the building if I ever wanted a proper break.

Associate
Incidentally, I was called a weirdo by my daughter and not at work.
At work I am deemed sub-normal!

Man of Honour
I used to do it all the time and I can't understand how others think that it's strange behaviour. At the end of the day the people you work with are exactly that, just people you work with and maybe the odd friend or two amongst them. Lunchtime was a nice break when I could take my lunch and sit in the car whilst reading a good book and listening to some music that I want to listen to and not whatever crap is on the radio. It was a nice to have some time to myself without any interruptions.

Soldato
I don't have a car or drive into work but if I did I would certainly be one of those people. I'd be in the back seat through like being on the sofa at home. Also you can get into trouble taking a nap at work even on a lunch break, but they can't do anything to you if you're in your own car

Soldato
Unless there is a chance customers or people higher up than your manager will see you sleeping, or you snore like a train and will disturb people, I don't see why?

In my place managers and "managers of managers" love to 'float around', it's not worth the hassle of keeping one eye open.

Soldato
Don't do this at my current job, but when I was much younger and worked part time at a busy garden centre I used to take my lunch sat in my car rather than in the small staff room.

It wasn't a sleight on my colleagues, they were all fine and I could have a good chat with any of them, but in a busy retail environment I found myself just craving some peace and quiet. I'd usually park as far away from the shop front as possible too.

Soldato

I've never eaten lunch in my car but I always opt to go and sit on my own in a quiet place. I am surrounded by idiots who ask me stupid questions all day long. Need to get away from it. I don't care if people label me a weirdo, I think I am weird myself ;)

Man of Honour
May not be quite in line with the thread, but when I drove a Black Cab in London, I’d take a small flask of black coffee, stop for a £5, £6, or £7 box of mixed sushi to go, then park in the Inner Circle of Regents Park at lunchtime, sit in the back, and have a pleasant break from the occasional idiots that usually soured my day.

Back
Top Bottom