Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
I don’t know. You don’t need custom firmware to run an RTSP feed. The only secure way to connect to a camera is a VPN. Personally, I would not expose any camera I was concerned about to the Internet.

Soldato
Can't read through 140 pages, has anyone got/had a Blink XT2 system as I was looking at a 3 camera system and would like to hear stories good/bad

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I'm in the loft trying to figure out where I'm going to feed the wire from outside. I can't fit into the gap to see where I'd be drilling through so thought I'd just take a picture of my planned "blind drill" entry point to see what I'm working with...

H8YfdZ2.jpg

Soldato
If you can’t see then don’t drill! You’ll need at least a 12mm hole for the RJ45 (14mm is often better). Can’t you go in through the soffit? That’s usually just making a slot bigger and often doesn’t need a drill.

And you’ll probably need rods to drive the cable through the hole in the wall.

Where are you in the UK?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I will be going through the soffit, went into the loft to measure up so I know where to place the hole, I just can't fit to see properly from the inside so will do it from the outside.

I'll check for slats in the soffits but I don't recall any

Fingers crossed that spider is definitely dead!

Soldato
I will be going through the soffit, went into the loft to measure up so I know where to place the hole, I just can't fit to see properly from the inside so will do it from the outside.

I'll check for slats in the soffits but I don't recall any

Fingers crossed that spider is definitely dead!

If you can find a bit of soffit near a rainwater downpipe then it’s a good way to hide the bundle of cables coming down from the roof, then run them horizontally along the mortar lines in the brick or stone (assuming you’re not rendered or painted). You’ll find it much easier to nail the cable clips into the mortar than any other material.

And if that spider isn’t dead then it’s certainly going to be limping...

I absolutely hate spiders but I just wear gloves and tell myself I’m wearing spider armour. Sad, but true.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Haha appreciated :) I've got in from the outside, drilled straight up through the soffit no problem. Poked up a stiff coil of power cord and it's come out exactly where I hoped

Xzbq3oL.gif

Had to fit the waterproof housing which involved new RJ45s, couldn't find my crimper so had to do them manually... it's been a while haha.

Kids in bed now so I can get back to it, going to tape the 4 cables to the power cord in the loft and pull them through.

Made a 32mm hole so it'll be nice and easy I hope, will grommet and silicone it up once all done :)

Edit: All pulled down and through without a hitch, and not a spider in sight! Just got to mount the cameras tomorrow and we're live :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Soldato
Curious to hear people's thoughts on the security of these IP cameras. I've bought a Yi Cam on offer and would like to ensure 'hackers' are kept at bay. I read that there is custom firmware available and a note of RTSP and that it opens up FTP protocols etc etc but it's all a bit complex at the moment.

If anyone could provide a 'quick guide' I'd be all ears!

I use a fingbox to control all access my network, so unless they can break a random 32+ character password, I don't envisage any issues.

Soldato
You don’t need to hack the password to access a camera. If there is a port open on your network, you can use that to gain access. When I’m testing a new camera for software flaws, you can leave a port open and monitor the amount traffic that attempts to use this open port to access your cam. It’s shocking the amount of people in one night trying to attack your cameras and succeeding if the firmware is flawed which is regular. Stick to a VPN

Soldato
I’ve just bought and installed 5 of these.

For the price they are an absolute bargain.

Easy to setup and use :) also like the recording audio option.

Haha appreciated :) I've got in from the outside, drilled straight up through the soffit no problem. Poked up a stiff coil of power cord and it's come out exactly where I hoped

Had to fit the waterproof housing which involved new RJ45s, couldn't find my crimper so had to do them manually... it's been a while haha.

Kids in bed now so I can get back to it, going to tape the 4 cables to the power cord in the loft and pull them through.

Made a 32mm hole so it'll be nice and easy I hope, will grommet and silicone it up once all done :)

Edit: All pulled down and through without a hitch, and not a spider in sight! Just got to mount the cameras tomorrow and we're live :)

Cheers

Hey both :)

I am interested in getting the 520 version myself for my front door.

What is the motion sensing like? I’ve used both Ring and Nest in the past, and the delay between receiving a notification that there’s motion is far too long (bare in mind, these were both through wifi, whereas I would connect to the 520 with Ethernet).

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Alerts are pretty much within a couple of seconds of motion :)

Both of my 520 have got condensation inside so I'm waiting for replacements, other than a hazy picture they seem just as good as the 410s :)

r8vPG2K.jpg

They've said I can keep the 2 condensated ones so once I figure out how to get them dry and sealed then I've got 2 free, if not then I've at least got 2 indoor cameras haha

Soldato
Alerts are pretty much within a couple of seconds of motion :)

Both of my 520 have got condensation inside so I'm waiting for replacements, other than a hazy picture they seem just as good as the 410s :)

r8vPG2K.jpg

They've said I can keep the 2 condensated ones so once I figure out how to get them dry and sealed then I've got 2 free, if not then I've at least got 2 indoor cameras haha

So what you’re saying is the quality is not good. 100% failure rate. Hopefully they’re not mounted in a way that makes them hard to swap out. As you say, worst case scenario you’ve got two inside cameras. Just make sure to be dressed at all times...

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I doubt they'd have such reviews if there was a 100% failure rate, I understand the sensationalism though. You get what you pay for with tech, as always.

Way easy to unmount, a simple twist and your local chancer has a nice new camera to sell.

The 410s are much better I feel, solid image quality, decent build and securly mounted.

Last edited:
Soldato
I doubt they'd have such reviews if there was a 100% failure rate, I understand the sensationalism though. You get what you pay for with tech, as always.

Way easy to unmount, a simple twist and your local chancer has a nice new camera to sell.

The 410s are much better I feel, solid image quality, decent build and securly mounted.

Hardly sensationalism. You bought 4 cameras. Half of them don’t work. That’s not sensationalism, that’s just arithmetic. Given how many cameras they make, it’s exceptionally unusual to get 2 faulty ones in a shipment, let alone a delivery. They’re cheap, but they’re not Flourean cheap. And actually I’d still be upset if 50% of my Flourean cameras turned up defective.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Yes, no I understand your post.

I would hardly say they don't work as all functionality is there, just moisture I'm assuming is left over from some cleaning process. They also have a screw on top you can use to release moisture to dry it, I just prefer, as would most, to have a fresh dry unit instead of drying it out myself seeing as they are brand new.

I understand your point on quality, chinese merchandise is a slave to profitability, hence getting what you pay for. As long as the two replacement cameras have no issues then I'm more than happy with the product :)

Next house will be higher end for the additional functionality you get with the cost.

Soldato
Yes, no I understand your post.

I would hardly say they don't work as all functionality is there, just moisture I'm assuming is left over from some cleaning process. They also have a screw on top you can use to release moisture to dry it, I just prefer, as would most, to have a fresh dry unit instead of drying it out myself seeing as they are brand new.

I understand your point on quality, chinese merchandise is a slave to profitability, hence getting what you pay for. As long as the two replacement cameras have no issues then I'm more than happy with the product :)

Next house will be higher end for the additional functionality you get with the cost.

If they are IP rated, why is there a moisture release screw? I’d absolutely love it I’d every time the weather changed the control centre phoned me up and said ‘get the cherry picker out, they’re all misting up so you need to do that thing with the screw’. OK, so NOW I’m being sensationalistbut you get my point. These things should be maintenance free for life. They’re IP rated solid-state electronics.

Anyway, it’s honestly not my intention to have a go at your cameras. If you read my own posts from above, and those of others, you will see that Reolink cameras are highly rated and these are exceptions I’m certain.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
why is there a moisture release screw?
I'm no engineer but possibly for situations such as the one I currently have :confused:

Anyway, it’s honestly not my intention to have a go at your cameras.
Your intentions are quite clear so no need to be defensive.

My intention was to clarify my own perspective after your incorrect statement following "So what you're saying is", as I did not imply anything to which you suggested when you quoted me.

Considering I am the purchaser currently using the products, of which you have taken issue, I felt that perspective was required for anyone else reading.

Soldato
Our Hikvision PTZ camera has stopped moving, we had a power cut and afterwards it didn't return to the home position. I restarted it and it tries pan and tilt check but fails both, the zoom and focus still work. I tried alternative poe power and a 12v supply but no different. I opened it up, everything looks mechanically fine, there are various voltages present, I can only see 1 fuse and it's ok, I guess the motor control circuit has failed.

I contacted Hikvision UK, they said to return it to the supplier, but we got it from an Aliexpress seller. I contacted them and asked if they can provide spare parts such as the circuit boards, they said they can't get Hikvision spares.

Does anyone have any other ideas or know of a place that repairs them?

Soldato
Our Hikvision PTZ camera has stopped moving, we had a power cut and afterwards it didn't return to the home position. I restarted it and it tries pan and tilt check but fails both, the zoom and focus still work. I tried alternative poe power and a 12v supply but no different. I opened it up, everything looks mechanically fine, there are various voltages present, I can only see 1 fuse and it's ok, I guess the motor control circuit has failed.

I contacted Hikvision UK, they said to return it to the supplier, but we got it from an Aliexpress seller. I contacted them and asked if they can provide spare parts such as the circuit boards, they said they can't get Hikvision spares.

Does anyone have any other ideas or know of a place that repairs them?

Unfortunately no-one repairs them as far as I’m aware. They check the serial number, bin them and send you a new one. Depending on the value they often don’t even ask for them back. If it was pan or tilt that had failed I’d say look for a slipped belt but if it’s both it probably is the controller, as you’ve already worked out. Have you tried reflashing the firmware? Sometimes a hard reset and a firmware update revives them (although that’s usually on dead Dahuas).

Back
Top Bottom