What Virtual Reality games are you playing?

Associate
Is it true you can click things in the cockpit with the mouse? When i fired up the game on the monitor yesterday the mouse was just looking around.
You can click things with the mouse yes - Within DCS there are high fidelity cockpits (fully clickable) and low fidelity (non clickable). Low fidelity are much easier to fly and have less functionality. I cant remember which ones come with the free version.

Try turning off mouse look and see if you can click items in the cockpit. If you can you should be able to do this in VR also.

Associate
I'm trying my best with onward (1.7 on Quest via VD). I'm not into multiplayer stuff, but saw the hype and decided it was worth a go even to mess about with the single-player training stuff.

I'm an old git, but even on rookie, the AI of the enemies seems far too razor sharp for me. I peek my head out a tad around the corner of a building and within a second I'm taking damage from 2 or 3 guys that are merely small black outlines from several hundred yards away. Back in, regain a bit of health, back out knowing where there are and they still get off bullseye shots at me before I can get them in my sights. Every one of them seems to be a crack shot. One or two lucky hits from me and they throw out a smoke bomb and move position, and then they'll split up and a couple will flank my position.

More times that enough I end up dead with very little feeling of having had even a bit of a good time. 20 goes I've had, and once..just once.. I killed all seven of them.

And yes, I know I'm old in this realm, but I think not having a crouch button, i.e. actually forcing you to crouch etc, is a killer.

I totally here you on the single player front, the AI seems to have been ramped up massively since the quest release, it's not too bad if you're playing with a few other people though!

I've mainly stuck to multiplayer since it's come to quest (purely played co-op before) just because it seems to be a little easier to get kills with the new player base.

As for the crouching, I tend to play at the end of my bed or near the sofa so that I can crouch and rest my stock on it to steady my aim but I imagine if it was the right height you could use the same method and just sit down on the bed/sofa...might make it a touch easier.

Soldato
My tip, Get a HOTAS. It's easier to setup and use in VR for flight sims/elite etc. And it's an amazing experience.

Just flying around should not be a problem with a pad - I think that if you want to do anything else take-off/ landing etc. a HOTAS would be best even a cheapo one.

You can click things with the mouse yes - Within DCS there are high fidelity cockpits (fully clickable) and low fidelity (non clickable). Low fidelity are much easier to fly and have less functionality. I cant remember which ones come with the free version.

Try turning off mouse look and see if you can click items in the cockpit. If you can you should be able to do this in VR also.

I got it working easily really - seems DCS has good native VR.

1. My framerate is not good. Only played for 10 mins or so and its quite jerky - to be expected on my hardware.

2. Couldn't see how to make the cockpit buttons clickable, and obviously couldn't see the keyboard to press anything so that was awkward. I flew around for a bit then found the G key and tried to land. Did so, but then didn't know how to slow down or steer on the runway.

3. Hard to fly level isn't it? Im only using a pad I know but still, seems to drift off on its own. Hard to control speed too. Kept getting stall warnings (in Russian?) whenever I tried to climb quick. I know its no arcade game.

4. Couldn't read the dials hardly at all.

Am very impressed though. Definitely need to bump up the graphics and performance to be playable in VR and then to get a HOTAS and figure out all the controls.

Yep definitely has promise but need significantly better hardware.

Associate

1. My framerate is not good. Only played for 10 mins or so and its quite jerky - to be expected on my hardware.

2. Couldn't see how to make the cockpit buttons clickable, and obviously couldn't see the keyboard to press anything so that was awkward. I flew around for a bit then found the G key and tried to land. Did so, but then didn't know how to slow down or steer on the runway.

3. Hard to fly level isn't it? Im only using a pad I know but still, seems to drift off on its own. Hard to control speed too. Kept getting stall warnings (in Russian?) whenever I tried to climb quick. I know its no arcade game.

4. Couldn't read the dials hardly at all.

Am very impressed though. Definitely need to bump up the graphics and performance to be playable in VR and then to get a HOTAS and figure out all the controls.

Could be the start of a fantastic new game genre.

1. Yeah gtx 1080 is the minimum really.
2. If you can't click on any of the buttons/ dials that means the cockpit is low fidelity. You don't need to enable clickable cockpits. To land you need air brakes to slow + rudder and wheel brakes to steer.
3. I can imagine it s tricky on the pad. With a joystick you use one of the hats to trim the aircraft to stabilise.
4. Yeah this is why you need some horsepower to turn up the supersampking. There is 2 vr zoom buttons though in the Ui config

Soldato

Hardware needed all around!! ;) Hotas first, then get one of those fancy new GPUs from Nvidia and your G2 when it's released.

You are now on a slippery slope!! It will start with getting faster PC, then a cheap hotas, then one day you will find yourself in a custom built cockpit with hydraulics wondering where all your money went :p:D

Soldato
Bought Lone Echo last night, fired it up at 1am just to get it setup ready to play after i got some sleep, here i am 7 hours later and finished the game and my sleep schedule is ruined but it was well worth it, hell of a game.

Associate
I finished Alyx (wow!) and am taking a week break from VR. Need to give Saints and Sinners another go, it looked promising but I somehow couldn't get into it (I've always played using teleport in every other game, so the locomotion feels weird).

Soldato
I took a break from VR for a while, mainly due to not feeling particually great over the last few weeks, plus the heat in my attic room. But I started playing a few games again and got back into Alien Isolation VR, which is still very scary, but looks amazing on the Index (though I had to use an earlier version of the mod due to issues with the new motion controller support not working well on the Index).

Then I got back into my crash prone ultra-modded version of Skyrim, and I was immediately struck by how fantastically awesome this is. Having a game of that scale in VR, with all the visual and gameplay improvements, and the resolution and FOV of the Index is an incredible experience. Just wish I could get a 3080 so I could crank up the refresh rate and supersampling to make it even more awesome.

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right thread, is there a right thread? is it the PC games thread?

Anyway. Keep talking and nobody explodes is £3.50 in the oculus rift store, it's cross buy, so will be available for everything else. Just got it for when the quest 2 arrives. Seen it played briefly, looks like a fun party game.

Associate
Not sure if this is the right thread, is there a right thread? is it the PC games thread?

Anyway. Keep talking and nobody explodes is £3.50 in the oculus rift store, it's cross buy, so will be available for everything else. Just got it for when the quest 2 arrives. Seen it played briefly, looks like a fun party game.

No idea about that game, but it's a brilliant name !

Soldato
No idea about that game, but it's a brilliant name !

For those that don't want to look it up. Basically the VR player see's a bomb, with a variety of triggers etc like mini game puzzles. Everyone else needs to read a Bomb Defusers manual that's available online. The VR player has to describe what they see to the "experts", the experts then have to work out what the correct wire to cut, or input to put in etc is.

EDIT - Can imagine it being a very fun family/party type game, especially if you do teams, with the VR being cast to a TV for the other team to look at.

Soldato
I played Vader Immortal trilogy today.
Its okay. Like its good at times but they really messed up with the 'move to this spot' and then 'black screen' followed by 'cut to cinematic'.

It really messed with the flow of the game. Its not even a game is it.

Associate
I played Vader Immortal trilogy today.
Its okay. Like its good at times but they really messed up with the 'move to this spot' and then 'black screen' followed by 'cut to cinematic'.

It really messed with the flow of the game. Its not even a game is it.
If it's one of the first "games" you get after buying a Quest, the light sabre training thing is quite a wow factor, it's like what you hoped VR to be (at least it was for me). But other than that, it's average.

Soldato
If it's one of the first "games" you get after buying a Quest, the light sabre training thing is quite a wow factor, it's like what you hoped VR to be (at least it was for me). But other than that, it's average.

Yup. I’m going to try budget cuts 1 next

Soldato
Tried the latest update to No Mans Sky, and it still got terrible performance and looks blurry, and the vehicle controls are still awful. Why can't we use the thumbsticks to control vehicles instead of motion controls?

Back
Top Bottom