PC freezes up when gaming

Associate
Hi there,

My issue is that my PC sometimes freezes up when I'm gaming. The whole PC freezes, so I can't open task manager or anything, both displays freeze and I can't move the mouse etc. I can still hear the music from the game coming through the speakers, but I have to completely reboot my PC to get it working again.

This only seems to be an occasional issue though, it happens in some games and not others. I've been monitoring my CPU and GPU temps the last time it happened and they're not too bad, my CPU is running at like 60 degrees and my GPU 82 degrees.

My setup is an i7-4790K CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM and a Radeon RX 5700 XT GPU. I've checked for the latest GPU drivers today and they're up-to-date.

Any ideas what's causing my PC to hang/freeze up like this in the middle of a game? As I said, it's completely random, like it just happened twice in the last 30 minutes during the game I'm playing at the moment, but then other games it doesn't happen at all or will happen once the stop doing it.

Thank you for your help.

Associate
If cpu crash pc should be dead. No music in background.

My money is on gpu. U should try investigate gpu.
Good start would be trying other gpu for few days.

Soldato
Have tested with your clock removed? Your clock could have become unstable - may need a bump in volts but best to disable it to eliminate it as possibe cause.

Associate
As above- remove the OC and see what happens.

Also try turning off Fast Boot in BIOS, disable Window's Game Mode (search for it in the desktop search bar), and find the 'change what the power buttons do' bit in power settings, click 'change settings which are not currently available', and uncheck Fast Boot there too.
May not help, but these settings can cause the occasional hiccup...

Soldato
I have a 4790k running at 4.7ghz and thankfully it's been stable for it's entire ownership. When issues like this arise, it's normally linked to a bad overclock/XMP so as above, I would suggest removing it. The alternative, if you can provide details on the OC itself, is to reduce the OC frequency slightly. If you're using offset, increase the voltage by a small margin and see if that stabilizes it.

My brother had a similar issue but it was linked to XMP.

ne0

ne0

Associate
Remove all overclocks.
Check event viewer for clues.
Disable all unnecessary running services and applications running in the background.

Permabanned
First thing I would try is changing the GPU fan profile to something far more aggressive and see if you can keep that temperature well below 82 degrees. See what happens. If necessary step down the quality you are using for the games to reduce the GPU temperature.

Back
Top Bottom