The Boys (Amazon Prime)

Soldato
Urgh, just finished ep3 and realised the rest will come later.

Wouldn't have bothered starting it if I'd known.

What is this, 2005? Streaming's going to turn **** if they go back to this tv-style drip feed system.

Soldato
It almost feels like the Season 2 is just really slow going for some reason, some good moments but overall a bit disappointing. Needs more action and gore :)

Soldato
It almost feels like the Season 2 is just really slow going for some reason, some good moments but overall a bit disappointing. Needs more action and gore :)

I wonder if this is why they bulk released the first three episodes. I felt like Episode 1 was so much slow buildup, but then episode two was for me back to normal for the most part and episode three was probably one of my favourite episodes yet.

Soldato
They are probably releasing it weekly because of what Covid has done to the film and TV industry . Lots of series have had production cancelled or delayed due to the problems,so I expect Amazon,etc are trying to just make the series last over longer time periods. Apparently next year,there might be a mass shortage of new TV series and films,if they can't finish shooting and production this year.

Soldato
Urgh, just finished ep3 and realised the rest will come later.

Wouldn't have bothered starting it if I'd known.

What is this, 2005? Streaming's going to turn **** if they go back to this tv-style drip feed system.
My reaction last night when I saw the remaining episodes after 3 were bonus reels. Wish I'd saved some time by checking before I started watching.

First Flipper in S1, and now the Sperm whale! What have the writers got against aquatic creatures?!

Soldato
Apparently, it was a deliberate choice by the producers to release weekly, rather than being an Amazon mandate:

https://www.gamesradar.com/why-the-boys-is-now-releasing-weekly-according-to-showrunner-eric-kripke/

“People burn through it in a week or two. There’s an intense amount of activity and then it sort of fades…. There’s so many great moments in season 2, we want to give it time to marinate so people can reflect on it and talk about it before they move on to the next thing and be in the conversation a little longer. I think a little anticipation for the fans is healthy.”

Soldato
TV stops being social if you release it all at once no opportunity to discuss the progressing plot with anyone as they've either binged it or they haven't. Weekly release allows time for conjecture and argument not everything is answered immediately. Even in this lockdown World whilst I can't discuss programmes over the table in the canteen I can discuss them online. If everyone is either zero or one the only opportunity is to discuss the whole season. Long live the slow revolution.

Soldato
TV stops being social if you release it all at once no opportunity to discuss the progressing plot with anyone as they've either binged it or they haven't. Weekly release allows time for conjecture and argument not everything is answered immediately. Even in this lockdown World whilst I can't discuss programmes over the table in the canteen I can discuss them online. If everyone is either zero or one the only opportunity is to discuss the whole season. Long live the slow revolution.
There's certainly something to be said for the water cooler moments from the past with series like Lost.

But I think an answer to that already exists - series are much shorter now (Lost was, what, 20 episodes a season?), so your cliffhangers, ambiguity, and talking points can be left for the end of the run.

It's not like Episode three, here, ended on a big reveal or talking point. So if they were aiming for that weekly feeling, they're doing it wrong.

Soldato
I don't have time to wax lyrical about shows i am watching at work and tbh i don't want to. So many different shows, "oh you must watch this", "ok" says i with no intention at all of watching :)

I'm the only one in the family watching The Boys, so no discussion there.

The only place i do discuss/read about shows is here on OcUK!

I would have preferred if they dropped the whole season. Those who want to spread the show can and those that get the time to squeeze a show in every now and then can and those that binge watch can.

What the producers have done is take away that choice.

But in the grand scheme of things? Meh, not overly fussed.

Soldato
Up to Ep2 of S2 and I’m a bit disappointed “The Boys” aren’t really The Boys as in I’ll send the boys around. The whole holding super in check part of their purpose is a bit missing. I’m hoping the writing can turn it around because the show has had some amazing moments so far but central drive of the plot is a bit haphazard.

Caporegime
Enjoying it apart from Hughey's character. Don't really get it. I'm not understanding his motivation as he just turns into a moody, depressive ***** every 5 minutes. I know he is supposed to be the "nice guy" but it is laid on a bit thick and just turns out irritating.

Love Butcher and Homelander though. The performance from the guy that plays Homelander is outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom