• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
70-80% is not the double that Nvidia claim. Also, there's some confusing nuances with the comparisons like DLSS always on but compared to both on and off, ray tracing turned off in formerly ray tracing poster child games, and that sort of thing. There's obfuscating of actual performance numbers going on to bring the big marketing numbers to prominence.
Most games on the DF video don't support DLSS and in the ones that they do it was clearly off. Yeah 2x is not realistic apart from some optimal scenarios. 70-80% is still very impressive though.

Soldato
There goes that massive performance increase Nvidia claimed.

*Very Old Benchmark
*Quite CPU dependant benchmark
*Different CPU's used on each of the GPU's Runs
*Different version of the benchmark where used
*AOS Benchmarks runs have been manipulated in the past

We have already seen the DF video and reviews are not to far away so this is abit...

Soldato
Been away for some time and this launch has completely passed me by but having 2080ti performance for ‘so little’ seems great!

Going to get a 3080 and will finally be able to
Play Hunter call of the a Wild at 4K/60 and May even get close to that in RDR2!

Soldato
I think you are getting yourself mixed up with other people actually. I was clearly talking about humbug, not you. Others understood this ;)

Your name was only mentioned in there as from what I can see it is you and lefuryon that are very pro big navi (relative to others). No, I am not calling you a AMD fanboi, yes I know you have had a few nvidia cards lately, just saying what I am seeing for this release :D
All I said is wait to see how it pans out. If we do have a 500MM2 model then it should be competitive unless Nvidia were sandbagging on RTX3080 performance. Even a smaller 56CU Navi should realistically match/beat an RTX2080TI.If they are not something has gone wrong and I actually think it's quite possible we might see the 56CU model first. I said this a few times.

You have to consider Nvidia is holding back. The RTX3070 has a disabled die,and we know there is a fully enabled RTX3070TI. There is plenty of room for an RTX3080TI too. So is AMD really matching an 80 series GPU with their biggest die such an achievement? Nvidia has a 90 and potentially the 80TI too!

In 20 years I have rarely bought a GPU until both companies have released their product stacks. Remember,even when the RX5700XT released Turing got refreshed to what it should have been at launch.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been away for some time and this launch has completely passed me by but having 2080ti performance for ‘so little’ seems great!

Going to get a 3080 and will finally be able to
Play Hunter call of the a Wild at 4K/60 and May even get close to that in RDR2!

Yup it's gonna be great. St Denis at night probably still won't hold 60 fps, but otherwise, so long as the killer settings are off/reduced (water physics, tree tess etc) 4K 60 in general should be good on otherwise ultra settings.

Soldato
70-80% is not the double that Nvidia claim. Also, there's some confusing nuances with the comparisons like DLSS always on but compared to both on and off, ray tracing turned off in formerly ray tracing poster child games, and that sort of thing. There's obfuscating of actual performance numbers going on to bring the big marketing numbers to prominence.

Always take vendor numbers with a pinch of salt but if the DF video is anything to go by or the Doom video the jump is quite big. people buying these cards are not going to use them to run old benchmarks and play games like CS:GO

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
All I said is wait to see how it pans out. If we do have a 500MM2 model then it should be competitive unless Nvidia were sandbagging on RTX3080 performance. Even a smaller 56CU Navi should realistically match/beat an RTX2080TI.

You have to consider Nvidia is holding back. The RTX3070 has a disabled die,and we know there is a fully enabled RTX3070TI. There is plenty of room for an RTX3080TI too.

In 20 years I have rarely bought a GPU until both companies have released their product stacks. Remember,even when the RX5700XT released Turing got refreshed to what it should have been at launch.
So you are taking issue with me saying you are in the drivers seat with LeFuryOn? Lol. To be honest you might be right, come to think about it I think EastCoast is the one in there with him, you are just in the front carriage with humbug, though you both seeming trying to head in the opposite direction. He is slowly trying to get in the drivers carriage and you are being cautious and slowly head the back of the train? :p

Associate
What about the digital foundry video that shows 70-80% increase from a 2080 in modern games?

4k, less than 2% plays at 4k.
Its also always best case scenario in the resolution showcased.
Some engines dont scale well for some brands due to specific optimizations.
so the 3080 and 3090 are for 2% of all the gamers in the world, funny.

next which many may not think about, without seeing a number and you set up two systems you wont know which one is which. Bottlenecks once they are manageable you have a nice free gameplay that you wont know what machine has what kind of hardware. Like 10 fps or such would make a difference, really?

you want as I look at this for what games do I play which in my case has no RT nor dlss or whatever crap but Vulkan which make decisions easy as I dont mind RT but it wont be on my games. Even if there is amd Big Navi the big Daddy of graphics cards now supports RT and dlss type of improvements.

so its a non issue.

Then many may need to buy a new cpu, mboard, ram and psu to not be bottle-necked.
Imagine that you buy a $500 card and realize you now need to upgrade the whole computer with upcoming AMD Radeon hardware. Its why I bought mboard, ram and the psu will be upgraded mostly due to being 10 years old.

I aim for price/performance as games even at 1440p basically dont need bleeding edge expensive stuff.

Soldato
So you are taking issue with me saying you are in the drivers seat with LeFuryOn? Lol. To be honest you might be right, come to think about it I think EastCoast is the one in there with him, you are just in the front carriage with humbug, though you both seeming trying to head in the opposite direction. He is slowly trying to get in the drivers carriage and you are being cautious and slowly head the back of the train? :p
The thing is think of it this way. Nvidia has a 3090/Titan no one thinks it will match with biggest die RDNA 2. Now getting close to an RTX3080,still means there is an RTX3080TI sized gap in the line-up and Nvidia will release it, you know it will happen.

So the problem here is if AMD can't get close with their 500MM2 Big Navi to an RTX3080,it's a worse relative position than when they had Vega or the Fury X. If it can barely beat an RTX3070 at 398MM2 it would be shocking.
At least the Fury X was in between the GTX980 and GTX980TI,and Vega64 at least traded blows with the GTX1080!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The thing is think of it this way. Nvidia has a 3090/Titan no one thinks it will match with biggest die RDNA 2. Now getting close to an RTX3080,still means there is an RTX3080TI sized gap in the line-up and Nvidia will release it, you know it will happen.

So the problem here is if AMD can't get close with their 500MM2 Big Navi to an RTX3080,it's a worse relative position than when they had Vega or the Fury X. If it can barely beat an RTX3070 at 398MM2 it would be shocking.
At least the Fury X was in between the GTX980 and GTX980TI,and Vega64 at least traded blows with the GTX1080!

I will be honest, I have zero idea what AMD have up their sleeve, people say they can’t release something that can beat the 3090, but if they go for a big die and their new architecture is any good and scales well, I can’t see why they would not due to being on a superior manufacturing process. It is all a big question mark at the moment.

But it seems to me nvidia using their spies have worked out what they have, which is likely something similar to 3080 performance or thereabouts. This is why they they likely have had to push Ampere so hard and it is sucking up so much juice. They probably know that they don’t have anything in the pipeline to beat the 3090, hence the ridiculous price of that gpu. But maybe not.

Next month if gona be fun.

Soldato
Yup it's gonna be great. St Denis at night probably still won't hold 60 fps, but otherwise, so long as the killer settings are off/reduced (water physics, tree tess etc) 4K 60 in general should be good on otherwise ultra settings.
Ive actually held off playing RDR2 until the tech catches up!, perhaps I’ll just get a ps5 and run it at 4K/60 ;)

Soldato
ps5 and run it at 4K/60 ;)

tenor.gif

Soldato
the fact that every one of the EVGA cards is triple fan or AIO is telling, Nvidia really had to push their chip hard to keep it where it needs to be.

quite confident that the AMD cards will be stellar with the caveat of no 3090/Titan competitor and a likelyhood of AMD needing Liquid AIO on the 6900XT - no fan option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom