Sticky rubbers, how do you solve this problem?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
After many years, rubber coatings on electronics tend to go sticky or lose their supple smoothness to the touch. I have looked around and tried a few DIY methods but cannot see a fix for this. So I am running to GD, how do I restore the smoothness or at least remove the sticky friction that becomes of rubbery coatings on devices like a remote control over time?

Example device:
JUZJQiA.jpg

Thanks!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Will acetone completely remote the rubber coating? This particular remote cannot be taken apart as it's sealed so don't want to risk damaging anything inside.

What solvents have you tried? Immediate thought is something like IPA should do the trick.

I have a small bottle of 99.99% pure IPA which I've used to clean CPUs and other stuff over the years but that stuff doesn't do squat to this kind of rubber it seems!

Just LOL if you don't paint your electronic devices using fence-grade staining compounds for a deep, rich, but more importantly, lasting finish.

Noobs.

Hammerite SMOOTH??

Associate
What you are referring to is known as soft touch paint. It's used to coat hard plastics to give that rubber coated effect, enhanced grip and better tactile feel in the hand to give the perception of a more 'premium' product.

Over time the wear from use, the oils in your skin, and in some instances the plasticisers leeching from within the moulded part, irreparably break down the paint causing the stickyness.

As far as I know there is not much you can do short of stripping the paint and reapplying. Not something I imagine you'd do on that remote!

Edit: it's also notoriously difficult to remove once sticky. Meths or petrol seem to be recommended, even then expect a lot of scraping!

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm sure someone will suggest a magic eraser shortly. So I'll beat them to it despite personally never using one for anything ever.

Magic eraser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Edit: it's also notoriously difficult to remove once sticky. Meths or petrol seem to be recommended, even then expect a lot of scraping!

Had this exact stuff on some old PC gear, horrible stuff after a few years. Found that isopropyl worked pretty well with cotton buds to remove it.

Commissario
Potentially "biostrip" may, I say may remove it without damaging the plastic, but you'd need to be really careful around the buttons.

It's a "friendly" paint stripper that removes most paints without affecting most plastics/metals as far as I can tell. It's often used by tabletop miniature players to strip old models and those they've bought second hand cheap because they've been really badly painted ;) (I've used it on GW plastics, several types of resin, woodwork and the like).

I've got a bit of a loathing for that coating, as it's really only useful on stuff that isn't expected to last more than a couple of years, as after that it can/does go manky and sticky just from being sat around in the air.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I might try the IPA again but this time with a more course cloth as I used a soft MF before which may have been too soft! Failing that will try the other options too thanks!

and in some instances the plasticisers leeching from within the moulded part, irreparably break down the paint causing the stickyness.

It seems to be exactly this. The finish is on the remote pictured and the amp it controls has the same finish on both side panels. One side of the amp gets hotter than the other when in use so as you can imagine, one side is more sticky than the other. The amp I can deal with I guess, I can take it apart and paint the 2 panels matte black and then a layer for clearcoat to give it a professional finish. The remote however I'm at a loss if nothing works lol. It's a shame as NAD only used this finish on this series of amps and it's not exactly a cheap amp either. It has 5 years warranty which actually expired back in Feb. Maybe I will contact them anyway on the chance that they see light of the issue and replace it...

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Alright I will try some of these new ideas and see what happens! Need to get some bicarb soda though as don't have that. Mission for the weekend I guess :D

Soldato
I have this problem with my joystick because I havent used it in years so its gone all sticky on the surface. Scratched some off but might try the bicarb suggestion.

And genuinely, I got it out for the new FS lol.

Back
Top Bottom