• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
This may not be the place to ask but planning on running my ampere gpu into a 4k/120hz vrr tv when i get one. Currently using a 10m hdmi cable into a 4k panel. I went through a few cables as they were dropping out/screen flickering on and off until I bought an active cable. Is this likely to happen again, do I need a particular cable over a longer distance?

Caporegime
The point I made a while back was that vRAM isn't free, to just throw a load more onto a card will increase the price, a lot with GDDR6x. I'd be interested to see if the people that were complaining about only 10Gb on the 3080 if they'll put their money where their mouth is and shell out a load more cash for a similar card with more vRAM. I'm betting most wont.

Well the 3080 is £649 and AIB cards are meant to be from £570 so I reckon a 3080 20gb could be as little as £800 for a FE or from £730 upwards for an AIB.

So you could easily have 20Gb 3080 clown cards cheaper than 10gb Asus pre OC 3080 cards.

People can then take their choices.

Leaves it open for a cut down 3090 to come out as a 3080ti with 16Gb and 95% of the performance of the 3090 for around £999 (which means up to £1200 for certain AIBs).

Soldato
390.jpg

Soldato
Considering I'm not in any big rush, I might just wait this out until CyberPunk and get whatever is available at the time.

By then we might have this rumoured 20GB 3080... but it will be more than £650!

Caporegime
The point I made a while back was that vRAM isn't free, to just throw a load more onto a card will increase the price, a lot with GDDR6x. I'd be interested to see if the people that were complaining about only 10Gb on the 3080 if they'll put their money where their mouth is and shell out a load more cash for a similar card with more vRAM. I'm betting most wont.
Without knowing the prices it's hard for you to make know the extent of the price increase. In terms of card longevity, an extra £100-150 may be worth doubling the VRAM and the re-sale value will of course also be higher as a result.

Soldato
This may not be the place to ask but planning on running my ampere gpu into a 4k/120hz vrr tv when i get one. Currently using a 10m hdmi cable into a 4k panel. I went through a few cables as they were dropping out/screen flickering on and off until I bought an active cable. Is this likely to happen again, do I need a particular cable over a longer distance?

Fibreoptic is what I use, expensive but about the only thing that will do it over a distance. Have both my DisplayPort and hdmi over 15m and not a single issue.

If what you’re using is fine now then stick with it.

Associate
If you only intend to keep the card 2 years and definitely do a new ugprade on the next cycle then I'd probably shoot for a 3070 if I were in your position. I don't see the power of a 3080 as being needed for 1440p even in a couple of years. But it depends how interested you are in RTX, if you want to mess about with all the new features and get really decent frame rates I'd shoot for a 3080. I can't wait to mess around with RTX but the downside is that it's only in a handful of titles.

I am hoping that with the consoles going all in on RT that we start getting more RT games.

Associate
Solid. Thick. Tight.

Afaik though the extra 2 years are with Zotac in Asia though, which means in case of RMA needing to send it overseas during that period. I haven't gotten confirmation if this has changed yet. I personally plan to go with Gigabyte (more RMA centres in Europe) for the extra hdmi 2.1 input, but also on the low-end of pricing.

Thank you for the input. I'd be happy for the extra 2 years to be covered by Asia, although might be a pain for others. Peace of mind for me for around the same price point.

Associate
Without knowing the prices it's hard for you to make know the extent of the price increase. In terms of card longevity, an extra £100-150 may be worth doubling the VRAM and the re-sale value will of course also be higher as a result.

Well you can get a good minimum estimate by looking at the per Gb cost of GDDR6x and simply adding that value on, there will be other costs associated, possibly with a slight redesign of the PCB and the fact you'll need changes to manufacturing process for all these things. An extra 10Gb of GDDR6 is about $117 and more expensive again for 6x I'd reckon, I can't find prices for that. I think £150 for just the extra vRAM is a good bet.

Are people going to buy that when the only examples we have of games going over 10Gb usage are also examples where the frame rates are unplayable? I dunno. I'd be interested to find out, I personally wouldn't waste 150 quid or more on vRAM I can't use.

Caporegime
Soldato
3080 10gb owners rejoice!

The Xbox Series S only has 10gb of memory - you know what that means right, next gen games will once again be hamstrung by memory.

RTX IO is going to be super important next gen as games will be developed for the transfer of data, not the storage of data.

Back
Top Bottom