• Series S

Votes: 105 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 25.9%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Well, either way - it’s an option. Seems good to me. But yeah, as long as you’re informed about it before buying.

Yeh, i think at the price point, it is pretty good, especially considering the other specs (same CPU, NVME drive etc).

I just saw it and immediately thought that the S is the one I will buy instead of the X series (i dont even have a 4k TV yet :p), but now I'm not so sure.

I also think it looks pants compared to the X, but i guess i could hide it away!

Soldato
In terms of GPU performance, it isn't clear whether it will be much, if at all more powerful than last gens X in basic rendering power.

Does it need to be?

The One X deployed that power for 4K gaming. The Series S will deploy it for 1080p/1440p gaming. That's a 56%-75% decrease in the number of pixels being rendered.

Look what happens when you run a GTX 1660 Super at 4K vs 1080p. The difference in settings and frame rates is huge. To equal that card's 1080p settings and FRs at 4K, you need a 2080 Ti. This is basically the same principle. One X deployed a 6TF GCN GPU at 4K. Series S will deploy roughly the same amount of power at 1080p/1440p. To equal what the Series S can do, but at 4K, you need a huge increase in GPU power. Enter the Series X.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeh, i think at the price point, it is pretty good, especially considering the other specs (same CPU, NVME drive etc).

I just saw it and immediately thought that the S is the one I will buy instead of the X series (i dont even have a 4k TV yet :p), but now I'm not so sure.

I also think it looks pants compared to the X, but i guess i could hide it away!
Yep I don’t like the fan. Would probably have it horizontal. Currently debating a series x or nvidia 3080. Think I may get the console first as I have an OG Xbox one...it is very creaky.

Man of Honour
This is my worry. or that the framerates get pretty bad on the series S after a few years and more graphically demanding games come out.

The S targets 25% of the resolution with 1/3 the GPU power so it should be fine.

The cpu has a bigger impact on frame rate stability and that is very powerful in the S.

Associate
The pricing for this box is fantastic.

However, nothing would convince me to go for an Xbox over a Playstation due to the mere fact that my entire gaming library and friends is on the latter.

Caporegime
The S targets 25% of the resolution with 1/3 the GPU power so it should be fine.

The cpu has a bigger impact on frame rate stability and that is very powerful in the S.

Yeh, it using the same cpu is very good news.

The slides are talking about 1440p though which I think might be stretch as this console generation goes on and games get prettier.

We shall just have to see i guess. You have made me slightly less disappointed about the gpu power though :p.

Man of Honour
Yeh, it using the same cpu is very good news.

The slides are talking about 1440p though which I think might be stretch as this console generation goes on and games get prettier.

We shall just have to see i guess. You have made me slightly less disappointed about the gpu power though :p.

I agree that 1440p is delusional at 60 FPS.

Caporegime
OP
The pricing for this box is fantastic.

However, nothing would convince me to go for an Xbox over a Playstation due to the mere fact that my entire gaming library and friends is on the latter.

You don't have to have one or the other. Get both and use the XBox as a Game Pass machine. Can even pay £20 monthly*

*guesstimate

Soldato
You don't have to have one or the other. Get both and use the XBox as a Game Pass machine. Can even pay £20 monthly*

*guesstimate

I'm in the same boat, I use to buy both in previous gens but this is the first gen I'll be skipping Xbox as I have a powerful pc and all exclusives are coming to PC anyway now which wasn't the case previously.

Still the S series is a nice entry point for newcomers.

Soldato
I doubt Sony are worried. If Sony can match the Series X price and have the DE come in at £50-£100 more than the series S then it's another generation won for Sony imo.

Yep It's the ps5/series X where it matters, thats the reason both have not released the prices yet, its like a duel, who will move first, so the other can drop the price a little more.

Soldato
Yep It's the ps4/series X where it matters, thats the reason both have not released the prices yet, its like a duel, who will move first, so the other can drop the price a little more.

It's a clever move by Microsoft as they know spending will be down this coming year due to job losses and financial uncertainty, so I see a lot of kids getting a Series S even if they want the Series X or PS5.

Be interesting to see how it hinders improvements in games though if the main user base for Xbox has the lower hardware spec.

Soldato
Be interesting to see how it hinders improvements in games though if the main user base for Xbox has the lower hardware spec.

It won’t. Why would it... the whole point of the design is that it’s feature set is identical to the Series X, they’ll simply scale resolution and frame rate down accordingly.

Caporegime
OP
I'm in the same boat, I use to buy both in previous gens but this is the first gen I'll be skipping Xbox as I have a powerful pc and all exclusives are coming to PC anyway now which wasn't the case previously.

Still the S series is a nice entry point for newcomers.

I’m going the other way. I like PC gaming but not as much as gaming on consoles. So no PC upgrade for me, I’d love to get both consoles now and a gaming laptop at the midway point of this gen in 2023.

Back
Top Bottom