• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I will be honest, I have zero idea what AMD have up their sleeve, people say they can’t release something that can beat the 3090, but if they go for a big die and their new architecture is any good and scales well, I can’t see why they would not due to being on a superior manufacturing process. It is all a big question mark at the moment.

But it seems to me nvidia using their spies have worked out what they have, which is likely something similar to 3080 performance or thereabouts. This is why they they likely have had to push Ampere so hard and it is sucking up so much juice. They probably know that they don’t have anything in the pipeline to beat the 3090, hence the ridiculous price of that gpu. But maybe not.

Next month if gona be fun.

The leaks say 505MM2,340MM2 and 240MM2 Navi2 dies. So I assume 80CU,56/60CU and 40CU chips.

Actually my main concern is memory bandwidth. Nvidia for years could get more use out of less memory bandwidth than AMD,so I want to see if RDNA2 can fix this problem. So even if the core could technically match a RTX3090,I suspect it can't be with GDDR6,ie,it might need 3 to 4 stacks of HBM2,which would be expensive. It could be Big Navi uses a 512 bit GDDR6 memory controller.

But another thing is we need to see actual realworld performance of the RTX3070/RTX3080 too.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There is a name for your type, its "voyeur" :D
Lol. That’s probably more you than me to be fair ;)

The leaks say 505MM2,340MM2 and 240MM2 Navi2 dies. So I assume 80CU,56/60CU and 40CU chips.

Actually my main concern is memory bandwidth. Nvidia for years could get more use out of less memory bandwidth than AMD,so I want to see if RDNA2 can fix this problem. So even if the core could technically match a RTX3090,I suspect it can't be with GDDR6,ie,it might need 3 to 4 stacks of HBM2,which would be expensive. It could be Big Navi uses a 512 bit GDDR6 memory controller.

But another thing is we need to see actual realworld performance of the RTX3070/RTX3080 too.
Yea, let’s see. I can’t see AMD going for a bigger die than 505mm2 so they will likely fall short of 3090 performance.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Lol. That’s probably more you than me to be fair ;)
Yea, let’s see. I can’t see AMD going for a bigger die than 505mm2 so they will likely fall short of 3090 performance.

Generally this wont affect a lot of users even on here. We have got used to no Titan/2080Ti offering because even back in the day the 290x etc. were below £500. I can stomach the flagship AMD card trading blows or beating the 3080 as it would also possibly be within my reach regarding price. We are unsure of the power requirements but might be better than team green's cards (for once - woohoo).

Soldato
Where is that VR benchmark where a mystery AMD card beat the fastest *overclocked* 2080Ti in the data base by a parger margin than the new 3080 vs random overclocked 2080Ti doom comparison remake?

The video where someone took the Nvidia-sanctioned stock vs stock 2080Ti vs 3080 doom video and rean the same sequence on his *overclocked* 2080Ti and shows the stock 3080 barely winning.

Assuming that old VR bench was a stock big Navi card, AMD already has something faster than a 3080 and Nvidia will *need* to put something in the gap between the 3080 and the 3090. (If AMD prices their stuff well)

Soldato
Well lets see how much they OC. Still though, no matter how much you OC the 2080Ti it won't reach 3080 Stock and the RT and DLSS will blow the 2080Ti out of the water, all for half the price. Lol :D

I will wait for tech jesus and hardware unboxed to do a review :)

Yeh, they're about the only two review sites I watch with interest.

Soldato
According to some friends on discord an AMD card needs to be at least £100 cheaper and offer a bit more performance to be considered. If not might as well just buy nvidia.

I also believe AMD will never gain any market share unless it significantly undercuts nvidia.

Associate
According to some friends on discord an AMD card needs to be at least £100 cheaper and offer a bit more performance to be considered. If not might as well just buy nvidia.

I also believe AMD will never gain any market share unless it significantly undercuts nvidia.
That's just NV mindshare.
If it performs like a 3080, runs cooler and quieter, and possibly has more VRAM it will be hard to justify an NV card

Soldato
According to some friends on discord an AMD card needs to be at least £100 cheaper and offer a bit more performance to be considered. If not might as well just buy nvidia
AMD aren't going to continue to kill their own margins (which then ends up with worse products down the line) just so people who want a Nvidia card, that they were always going to buy anyway, can get a discount. If they perform within 10%, they will be priced within 10% of the competitor. It's one of the sensible positions Lisa brought into the company and it's improving their ability to operate healthily once again. I'd be very surprised if they gave it up.

Associate
careful what you wish for :)
19786z.jpg

Soldato
It looks fantastic on a 65" Oled on an Xbox One X at 4k with HDR, even with its 30 FPS. :p
I’m sure it does!

It looks great on my 2080 but I need 60fps and there is a noticeable difference whenI turn the eye candy off. So I loaded up Witcher 3 and enjoyed that which my 2080 can max out! And I waited (Am waiting) for the newer cards before I try again.

It’s the 2017 game Hunter call of the Wild that I really want to be able to max out.

Soldato
AMD aren't going to continue to kill their own margins (which then ends up with worse products down the line) just so people who want a Nvidia card, that they were always going to buy anyway, can get a discount. If they perform within 10%, they will be priced within 10% of the competitor. It's one of the sensible positions Lisa brought into the company and it's improving their ability to operate healthily once again. I'd be very surprised if they gave it up.

It sounds like you are assuming AMD can't undercut Nvidia without "killing" their own margins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom