Battlestar Galactica (now containing quite minor spoilers)

Soldato
I watched all the series recently this year. Considering it's getting on for 16 years old, the cgi has held up amazingly well. My Mrs watched the last episode and I explained a few things and she said why watch all the series as a lot happens at the end:p. I'm not sure if it was canceled early as I thought a lot happened towards the end of the series. Oh I only just realise Mr geata is in sabrina:D.

Man of Honour
The single long take introducing you to the Galactica is one of my favourite bits of any movie/TV show it sets the scene so well. The first few episodes I can watch over and over - which is rare for me.

Caporegime
I watched all the series recently this year. Considering it's getting on for 16 years old, the cgi has held up amazingly well. My Mrs watched the last episode and I explained a few things and she said why watch all the series as a lot happens at the end:p. I'm not sure if it was canceled early as I thought a lot happened towards the end of the series. Oh I only just realise Mr geata is in sabrina:D.
Always thought the space CGI was decent, the Cylon (robots) CGI however hasn't aged that great. Might have to do a 3rd viewing after The Sopranos (3rd viewing) :D.

Associate
Rumours are that it's not a reboot, but more like "another story happening elsewhere, but at the same time as the events in BSG".

Marc Bernardin who co-host the galatica podcast with Helfer and is a writer says it's a reboot. He said he was asked to write his pitch for a reboot and as he is such a fan of this version he asked Ron Moore for his blessing before he would submit his ideas. Ron told him he could pitch but told him the characters strictly off limits as they are his :)

Honestly the podcast is excellent dispels so many myths like the plan for Billy and how little of each series was planned. How late they even decided on the final 5 and such. The meltdowns from cast members when they found out and so much more.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yes, but many more people would have seen it if it was on one of the big channels, instead of tucked away on the Syfy Channel. Fans and critics loved it, but not as many people have seen it as they should have.

Exactly this, it's a bit like when I ask people about Ray Donavon and no ones heard of it or seen it apart from the lucky people that have.

Soldato
Marc Bernardin who co-host the galatica podcast with Helfer and is a writer says it's a reboot. He said he was asked to write his pitch for a reboot and as he is such a fan of this version he asked Ron Moore for his blessing before he would submit his ideas. Ron told him he could pitch but told him the characters strictly off limits as they are his :)

Honestly the podcast is excellent dispels so many myths like the plan for Billy and how little of each series was planned. How late they even decided on the final 5 and such. The meltdowns from cast members when they found out and so much more.

I don't see how it can be a reboot if they can't use any of the characters like Adama, Starbuck, Baltar, etc. Sure, set in the same universe, but with all new characters it can't really be the story of Galactica and it's crew.

Personally, I can get onboard with a new story/characters set at the same time or in the same universe, but I don't see a point in just retelling the BSG story. It was done so well, I can't see how you can improve it, so do something new, not rehashing a story that you will do worse that what has come before.

Associate
I don't see how it can be a reboot if they can't use any of the characters like Adama, Starbuck, Baltar, etc. Sure, set in the same universe, but with all new characters it can't really be the story of Galactica and it's crew.

They can use some of them, the ones off limits are the ones Ron created, like Roslin. Adama, Starbuck and I think Baltar are all from the original series. Someone like Galen Tyrol was his creation and he doesn't want them in the reboot. But not many people wanted to touch Rons re-boot and it turned out excellent, no reason why another based around the core of the 70's series cannot again.

Man of Honour
I don't really see the need for a reboot of the main Galactica story itself - there are so many other stories that could be told.

Soldato
Well this is baffling. I was going start watching BSG again, so grabbed the Blu-ray boxset plus Blood & Chrome but for some reason my Caprica Blu-ray has gone missing. Very strange, I'm usually very anal about keeping my collection in order.

Associate
Been wanting to watch for while. I was going to buy the complete Blu-Ray set when it was a bargain a couple of years back. Ended up never buying and now the price has crept up, never bothered as I am waiting for the price to drop! :o

Delighted to see this is on iPlayer, not a fan of the BBC by any stretch; so a pleasant surprise to stumble across today.

Man of Honour
I'd hardly say missing caprica is a bad thing either since it was terrible

It wasn't great sadly but it did explore some of the themes a bit that aren't elaborated on in BSG - I found watching it in between the season break in season 4 before watching the last half of the season actually enhanced the last bit because you had some insight into elements that you'd otherwise not really understand the significance of in season 4.

(They weren't really there in season 4 but you could kind of understand how they slotted in and it made it a bit more meaningful).

Soldato
I'd hardly say missing caprica is a bad thing either since it was terrible

Wow! Just shows how opinions can vary. I watched and enjoyed BSG but thought the ending was poor.

As for Caprica, I though it was the best of the bunch and set the scene perfectly for the BSG storyline...

Soldato
Yes, but many more people would have seen it if it was on one of the big channels, instead of tucked away on the Syfy Channel. Fans and critics loved it, but not as many people have seen it as they should have.

BSG was shown on Sky One (though it was ScFy in the US) which isn't exactly an unknown channel on the satellite / cable networks.

Associate
Highly underrated tv series, they somehow managed to pack everything into this series everything from great stories, politics, religion, epic space battles from tons of ships and rounded it off so neatly, if you have not seen it this is perfect lock down binge-watching.

I would say it's an overrated series myself. Great premise and starts off strong but then it loses steam in the later seasons and they have a lot of filler episodes. The ending is pretty "meh" as well tbh. It's a real shame but it happens to a lot of series, they get so popular so they don't want to cancel but they don't have the story lines to maintain it.

Back
Top Bottom