• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
and pee off early Nvidia 3xxx adopters which they dont care about as they already got your cash suckers
I just don't get this mentality. Anyone who buys a new GPU surely must be prepared for a(t least one) mid gen refresh at some point, and have to also be prepared for that to be a better value proposition than what was bought? Even then, it only matters when it comes to flipping the GPU; if you are keeping it and it is still giving you the playable experience you originally bought it for, why does them bringing out a new version affect you?

Edit: Nobody forces anyone to be an early adopter. That is on the buyer.

Soldato
I just don't get this mentality. Anyone who buys a new GPU surely must be prepared for a(t least one) mid gen refresh at some point, and have to also be prepared for that to be a better value proposition than what was bought? Even then, it only matters when it comes to flipping the GPU; if you are keeping it and it is still giving you the playable experience you originally bought it for, why does them bringing out a new version affect you?

If I get the 3080, I *expect* something better to be introduced at some point. That's how the industry normally works.

Soldato

Reading between the lines it could be that we see the "Amped up" versions before Christmas, thats a lot shorter time than with the 2xxx Super series were released so like you buy a more expensive 3080 10gb now for like £789 (ASUS top end or whatever) and December they release the "standard" Amped up version with 16gb VRAM for £749 RRP. People always moan. "why didnt they release the 16gb VRAM version first I would have got that one etc" you could turn round and say serves you right you should have waited. Cue 2nd hand 3080's on the MM. etc ;) I dont think these are refreshes but additions to the line like has been speculated just with more VRAM.

Associate
Ethereum Miners Eye NVIDIA's RTX 30 Series GPU as RTX 3080 Offers 3-4x Better Performance in Ethereum mining. Cards seem to be already being used in China for mining.

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/ether...x-3080-offers-3-4x-better-performance-in-eth/

Oh nooo. How did they get their hands on the cards before they are even allowed to be sold?! This is my biggest worry - if this is great for mining, then we really have little choice but to jump in and buy a card at launch for the 3080 and fight against miners for available stock.

Nothing new there, release dates etc mean nothing to that mob.

That's insane, I am shocked from the lack of benchmarks coming out of China :(

Soldato
Yeah i dont mind this if the perf is there in the first release, which it wasnt with turing. But it depends on how long between releases - a year, expected, 2 months, not so much.

Two months would feel a bit like a lost gamble, but I know it's a gamble going in and the performance I want does seem to be there *now* and for a good price.

Soldato
Oh nooo. How did they get their hands on the cards before they are even allowed to be sold?! This is my biggest worry - if this is great for mining, then we really have little choice but to jump in and buy a card at launch for the 3080 and fight against miners for available stock.

this is really bad news for us gamers if the next gen cards are being used for mining now then supply will be non existant from day 1, in light of this news all retailers should allow pre orders to counter the threat from miners.

i'd be happy to pay around £200 more if i could place a pre order now, how about it @Gibbo ?

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
this is really bad news for us gamers if the next gen cards are being used for mining now then supply will be non existant from day 1, in light of this news all retailers should allow pre orders to conter the threat from miners.

Be careful regarding the hate. 'Miners' years back was bedroom kids and individuals piling in on the free money (so to speak). Nowadays there is no 'miners' but a smaller amount of big farms. The farms soaked up all the stock in the first place, then when everyone sold up and threw in the towel, the big boys bought up all the cheap hardware.

Unfortunately this is going to be true as the pascal + polaris cards are old so will need replacing. What you need is nvidia and AMD to impose one or two cards per individual to help as best you can as these whales still buy in bulk behind closed door from the retailers.

Associate
absolutly, i have 2k to spend for a card and block total, minners are going to grab every card they can at launch, we need to fire back fast to stop that
And by firing back you mean paying £200 over the odds for a card? Don't you think they too would do the same, assuming equal desperation from both sides? There is no consumer winner here; the only winner is the retail outlet.

Back
Top Bottom