How to remove masonry paint stains?

Soldato
I've been really careful about trying not to get paint drips on my patio and bricks while painting my windows. I put a dust sheet down, but even so, there's a couple or so of hardened blobs on the ground and one that has smudged into the wall. I could possibly try using a scraper or stanley knife to remove the ones on the ground, although I imagine it will still leave a bit of white soaked into the patio slabs, and not sure the best way to remove from the wall. Pressure washer, or some chemical?

Soldato
Oil-based? Chemical paint remover. If it's new, should bubble up pretty quickly. I just used Paint Panther from toolstation. It was cheap, and worked. Must be the real bits of Panther it has in it.

Soldato
Jet wash, high energy low force design for the job. All other solutions will be harder and less satisfactory.

I was once responsible for a job using 50,000psi water (over 3000 Bar) the guys had to wear kevlar armour and use double dead man switches. Did a beautiful job. A standard karcher should do the job for you though.

Soldato
OP
Why not just get a brush and some soapy water and scrub at it? Going to effort of making a thrrwd before having a go at scrubbing it off is a bit extreme.

True but as PlacidCasual said, anything less than a pressure washer will not be as effective. Plus I've just spent all day putting a third coat of Sandtex on the masonry at the front and back of the house, so couldn't be arsed to scrub at anything today and thought I'd have a rest with a cup of tea and post a quick question on here. Sorry my thread has annoyed you. :p

Jet wash, high energy low force design for the job. All other solutions will be harder and less satisfactory.

I was once responsible for a job using 50,000psi water (over 3000 Bar) the guys had to wear kevlar armour and use double dead man switches. Did a beautiful job. A standard karcher should do the job for you though.

Thanks. Lol, that's quite some water power!

Permabanned
It really isn't easy because almost anything you try could potentially leave a worse mark. As long as you only have a few marks then a far better way is to just disguise the blobs. I have a number of humbrol paint pots and I mix up a colour that is close to the brick or concrete or whatever and just paint over the drips to conceal them. It sounds crazy but you really don't need to be too accurate, even badly mixed is is far better than white. it works way better than trying to clean the drips off. Little or no effort, little cost, and little chance of making it worse. Black, red, white, yellow is enough to do 99% of jobs.

Soldato
OP
It really isn't easy because almost anything you try could potentially leave a worse mark. As long as you only have a few marks then a far better way is to just disguise the blobs. I have a number of humbrol paint pots and I mix up a colour that is close to the brick or concrete or whatever and just paint over the drips to conceal them. It sounds crazy but you really don't need to be too accurate, even badly mixed is is far better than white. it works way better than trying to clean the drips off. Little or no effort, little cost, and little chance of making it worse. Black, red, white, yellow is enough to do 99% of jobs.

That's a very good idea actually. Well, I'll try the pressue washer on just one of the spots and see how that goes. If no go or it's worse, I'll maybe try and disguise it.

Back
Top Bottom