Turntable Suggestions

Associate
I've decided to upgrade my current Rega P3 to something I guess in the next price bracket up £1000 - £1500. Now auditioning new turntables is proving a bit difficult but I have managed to hear the Rega P6, Clearaudio Concept and Marantz TT15.

Are there any other stand outs in the price range I really should be looking at?

Soldato
If you are willing to consider the second hand market, there are actually much better options than the ones you have already looked at. One of the most obvious is the Michell Gyrodec SE. In fact there is one on a certain auction site at the moment complete with what looks like a Rega RB 250 arm for £1250.
Up until i bought my Michell Orb and SME V arm, i had a Gyro SE and a Rega RB330 arm as well. I'm suggesting this combination because in your price bracket, second hand can move you yet another bracket or 2 and also puts you into a bracket where moving coil cartridges will really shine as well.
When i first had the Gyro i had a Goldring 1042 MM fitted and it sounded fantastic. A friend lent me his Dynovector DV-20X2L for a week (moving coil), the difference was immediate and it blew me away. In fact i now have the same cartridge in my SME V now.

Associate
OP
I'm a bit wary of buying from auction sites and there are also the issues of collection as a lot won't ship turntables and not getting the chance to properly audition them. I had a look at the gyrodec se you mentioned and it just really backed up my reservations about buying from auction sites as it actually a gyro se.

Second hand is a good suggestion but unfortunately not much on offer in my area.

Soldato
The Gyro SE i had, i bought brand new from a dealer and had plenty of time to audition it. The Orbe and SME V though, i did buy second hand (over £3000 each new).
I had to collect both the Orbe and the SME V, it goes with the territory when buying second hand turntables because 9 times out of 10 the box would have been chucked out.

Associate
OP
I would consider second hand if it was a turntable I knew and was close enough to collect. I would probably go for a gyro as they are not only highly regarded but look great.

At the moment it's looking like the Marantz which surprised not only me but a couple of friends as well, the ones that brought round the Rega and Clearaudio, the one with the Marantz was smug as hell.

Soldato
Happy hunting - there's lots of choice in that price so you should be able to get something good. If buying second hand I'd want to check the table out and be careful about how its shipped as if it was poorly packed the bearing could be damaged. Also, keep in mind a lot of great tables have come and gone so if buying used I'd make sure the table could still be serviced/repaired if the motor/bearing/springs developed a problem.

Associate
OP
It was a P6 with the Ania Pro. Don't get me wrong all of the turntables I've heard are good upgrades on the P3 but the Rega P6 wouldn't be my preffered choice.

Associate
OP
Just out of curiosity @BF-Bert what does the rest of your system consist of ? In other words, amp, phono stage and speakers ?

Project phono box ds2, naim nac112x/nap150x amplifier and Tannoy XT6f speakers. Also tried the turntables with the phono box ds2 and Marantz SR6011 as preamp with an XTZ edge a2-300 power amp which was surprisingly good.

Soldato
Project phono box ds2, naim nac112x/nap150x amplifier and Tannoy XT6f speakers. Also tried the turntables with the phono box ds2 and Marantz SR6011 as preamp with an XTZ edge a2-300 power amp which was surprisingly good.

Lol, we is both Naim users.

Michell Orb Se, SME V, Dynavector P75 MK3. Dynavector DV-20X2L, Audio Suspension platform, Airlink CBS3000UK balanced power supply, Naim Flatcap XS, Naim CD5 XS, Nait XS2, Spendor A9 speakers.

Not met another Naim user on here yet :D

Associate
OP
I think there are probably a few more....... not everyone on these forums can be doing it wrong can they :D

Can't say I've ever thought about replacing mine since I got it....... its the thought of having to buy new interconnects mine only has din inputs.

Soldato
[QUOTEert, post: 33915543, member: 13715"]I think there are probably a few more....... not everyone on these forums can be doing it wrong can they :D[/QUOTE]
="BF-B
Ohhhhhhhh yes.................................plenty are doing it wrong :D

Can't say I've ever thought about replacing mine since I got it....... its the thought of having to buy new interconnects mine only has din inputs.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTEert, post: 33915543, member: 13715"] using the right leads with Naim gear is a no brainer, just sounds so more live i couldn't give a monkeys what anyone says.

Associate
OP
Well after looking at what was available second hand in the area I've gone for the Marantz. Not only does it provide the sound I'm looking for, it was the easiest to get the approval for from my good lady.

Back
Top Bottom