John Cage musical work changes chord for first time in seven years

Soldato
Is there some sort of a link to something here?

I must admit that I have never been able to see the point of 4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence and I don't think that I will be around to enjoy all of his 639 year masterwork.

Now John Cale, that is a completely different matter, his version of Leonard Cohen's Halellujah

was almost as good as The Gift

;)

The Gift is awesome I remember listening to it donkeys years ago. Now Metal Machine Music, that's shear craziness Lou Reed at his weirdest.

Capodecina
Soldato
The Gift is awesome I remember listening to it donkeys years ago. Now Metal Machine Music, that's shear craziness Lou Reed at his weirdest.
Not heard Metal Machine Music, I am not a huge fan of Lou Reed.

However, in gratitude for your tip I offer you "The visitation" from Vorhaus and Derbyshire's White Noise . . .

Capodecina
Soldato
As usual, a lot of closed-minded posts on this forum when it comes to the arts. Before I continue I will say this is exactly why I was stealth-banned before here - a lot of accusations that I was "trolling" for having a different opinion. Well, I don't care anymore. This is what I think genuinely, sorry if it's out-of-step with 99% of the board.

WTF? So silence then?

But it's not silence, because there is no such thing as total silence. Even if you were able to exist in a vacuum, you would still be able to hear the blood rushing round your head. 4'33" exists to force people to do nothing but to pay attention to the sounds around them in a world where doing nothing and being still exists so rarely outside of spirituality, it also exists to examine what music actually is. Everything you hear has a certain tone and resonance to it, and there are always sounds around you, many of which you miss, which could be considered background music. 4'33" is an ever-changing piece which highlights your relative personal and/or shared soundscape.

Pretentious rubbish.

Challenging preconceptions is seen as pretentious rubbish by some, and advancement and progression by others. Cage, on the one hand, can be considered ahead of this time, but on the other he can't because his pieces will go on for hundreds of years. It's a fabulous way to be both immortal [or post-mortal] and current.

A genuine total waste of human endeavour.

Absolutely relative, he has done far more for music and sound art than a lot of so-called "talented" "artists" you see in the news these days.

Man of Honour
As usual, a lot of closed-minded posts on this forum when it comes to the arts. Before I continue I will say this is exactly why I was stealth-banned before here - a lot of accusations that I was "trolling" for having a different opinion. Well, I don't care anymore. This is what I think genuinely, sorry if it's out-of-step with 99% of the board.

But it's not silence, because there is no such thing as total silence. Even if you were able to exist in a vacuum, you would still be able to hear the blood rushing round your head. 4'33" exists to force people to do nothing but to pay attention to the sounds around them in a world where doing nothing and being still exists so rarely outside of spirituality, it also exists to examine what music actually is. Everything you hear has a certain tone and resonance to it, and there are always sounds around you, many of which you miss, which could be considered background music. 4'33" is an ever-changing piece which highlights your relative personal and/or shared soundscape.

Challenging preconceptions is seen as pretentious rubbish by some, and advancement and progression by others. Cage, on the one hand, can be considered ahead of this time, but on the other he can't because his pieces will go on for hundreds of years. It's a fabulous way to be both immortal [or post-mortal] and current.

Absolutely relative, he has done far more for music and sound art than a lot of so-called "talented" "artists" you see in the news these days.
Closed minded posts or just opinions which differ to yours?

Capodecina
Soldato
Closed minded posts or just opinions which differ to yours?

No, closed-minded. Dismissing something different as "rubbish" shows no willingness to engage with that subject matter in any detail or to put any effort into thinking about it.

It's absolutely fine for people to disagree as long as they justify their position. But just saying something is "rubbish" and leaving the thread is closed-minded.

Soldato

riiiiiggghhtttttt

Man of Honour
No, closed-minded. Dismissing something different as "rubbish" shows no willingness to engage with that subject matter in any detail or to put any effort into thinking about it.

It's absolutely fine for people to disagree as long as they justify their position. But just saying something is "rubbish" and leaving the thread is closed-minded.
Not really, it's not a debate no one needs to justify themselves or has been asked to.

That's like saying I'm wrong giving the answer to a maths question because I've not shown my working out.

Soldato
Look at all the plebs trying to understand the civilised folk.
It's not very civilised to make derogatory remarks about others, either...

That's like saying I'm wrong giving the answer to a maths question because I've not shown my working out.
I suppose you would be wrong, though, as maths is basically a science... and no scientist can simply state something as truth. They have to go through the whole process of substantiating their findings, detailing their methods of study, and proving why it is the truth.

Soldato
Complete rubbish, we need genuine skilled artists like Tracy Emin and her ** If you feel you must swear please ensure you star the word out fully, not just some of the letters ** stained unmade bed covered in used condoms that someone actually paid £2.5 million quid for :p:p:rolleyes:

Soldato
Real art is the celebration of beauty, sometimes manifested just by a show of human skill or craftsmanship.

Modern art is the celebration of the ugly and the distorted, it seeks to demand respect for all things being equally valid or good when clearly they are not.

Hopefully we will come to our sense and people will look back on post modernism with absolute horror.

Back
Top Bottom