Help needed with home network configuration and Sky Q

Soldato
Hi,

Hopefully someone can help advise on my home network and our Sky Q setup.

We have been running Sky Q on Wifi but the connection to the Mini box in the Living Room is just not stable enough. I therefore hard wired it into the network, but now the network seems unstable.

02-09-2020%2015-16-03.png

Essentially:

Living Room
Virgin fibre comes into living room and into the Virgin Hub.
Wifi is disabled on hub
Hub outputs to: TV, Xbox and Sky Q Mini and the 4th Ethernet out goes to the Switch in the Hallway.

Hallway
Switch receives internet from the Living Room.
Switch outputs Ethernet to Play Room and Tenda MW5 Wifi

Playroom
Switch receives internet by switch from the Hallway
Switch outputs to main Sky Q box, Xbox, PS4 and Nintendo Switch

Bedroom 1
2nd Sky Q Mini (Not a priority at the moment)

Not longer after moving the Sky Q to use Ethernet, all other connected devices seem to struggle. My thinking is that the switch in the hallway is getting overloaded due to the Sky traffic, as to watch anything on demand in the Living Room for instance, requires the internet to pass through it to go to the main Sky Q box in the Playroom and then back to the Hallway and Living Room.

Would this be a thing? Is a standard gigabit cheapo Switch simply a switch or would I benefit from a upgraded one?

Any help appreciated!

Mark

Soldato
Could be switch or cables. I'm guessing it being a cheap switch you have no way of telling what speeds the ports are running at?

Of course sky q could just be hammering the network but I don't own those devices to know how that could happen.

Soldato
Disable wifi on any of the Q boxes that are connected with ethernet and see if that makes a difference.

I'd expect any switch to be able to cope with that amount of traffic, cheapo or otherwise. Sky Q won't be generating enough traffic to saturate a gigabit link.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies and apologies for the not coming back sooner.

I've disabled the Wifi on the Q box using the engineers menu and it seems to have worked!

Cheers

Mark

Back
Top Bottom