• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is NVIDIA sabotaging their own Ampere launch?

The --->rumours<--- of the RTX 3080 Super and a RTX 3070 Super just will not go away.
In my opinion this really throws into doubt if we should be buying their 8Gb and 10Gb cards at launch. :(

The 3070 Super stands to potentially get a small increase in CUDA / SM cores and 16Gb of the faster GDDR6X VRAM over the standard 3070.
(If true that card would be pretty damn awesome).

What are your opinions on this?

2020-09-08_234031_wccftech.com.png

Credit to: wccftech.com

avery_tweet.png

Associate
I thought the rumour of short supply for the 3080 and 3090 was "very strong" and now we have nvidia releasing new skus within a month.

Another rumour said that GDDR6X was in very short supply so 20GB cards would be next year at the earliest.

So many rumours..........:p

Caporegime
I very much doubt they would launch the super/ti variants so soon, their hq would have the pitchfork and torch brigade outside it. They'll likely be a few months down the line.

Associate
I want one at launch, but to be honest we are going to be getting a raw deal if they release this super cards shortly afterwards.
And there is one feeling I hate... buyers remorse for making a bad judgement call.

Yep, same here. If I could be guaranteed of a) availability and b) prices not climbing I could comfortably wait until mid-november at least when Cyberpunk launches. But since there's no guarantees of either, I just hope we get some compelling evidence about the variants before the 17th. :D

Associate
Wouldn't surprise me if GPUs with more than 10GB VRAM are released next month by nVidia.

Still getting one at launch though as I'm upgrading after a few years from a 1080 Ti but will think twice next time.

Associate
OP
I very much doubt they would launch the super/ti variants so soon, their hq would have the pitchfork and torch brigade outside it. They'll likely be a few months down the line.

Well that's the lines I was thinking along as well, it would be at least Q1 or Q2 before we saw these higher spec cards.
Then again we keep under estimating NVIDIA's ability to screw us over, their own customer base.
So I'm not sure when I see these kind of rumours.

Yep, same here. If I could be guaranteed of a) availability and b) prices not climbing I could comfortably wait until mid-november at least when Cyberpunk launches. But since there's no guarantees of either, I just hope we get some compelling evidence about the variants before the 17th. :D

I agree.
Britain's exit from Europe could effect pricing in the new year as well.
Inflation could pop due to greater import difficulties / tariffs.
But these cards are mainly shipping in from further a field than Europe so it might not be an issue.

Last edited:
Associate
The 3080 is still the one for me-GDDR6X is not cheap so a 3080 Super would be a lot more money (rumours they will cost $999) for a few (or maybe 10) % points of performance.

Soldato
It's pretty doubtful. There was gap of 10 months between the releases of the RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Super.

They want to sell lots of RTX 3080s and 3090s first, they haven't even been released yet lol. For most customers, either of these would be a significant upgrade already. They are hoping people will pay a premium for the 3090 to get a large amount of VRAM.

How annoyed would (most) customers be if they brought an expensive, brand new product, only for it to be superceded by a similarly priced model a few weeks or months later?

AMD usually offers high end models with a choice of VRAM amounts, they are more concerned with providing good bang for buck.

Nvidia are so far ahead they barely have to try to compete, generally consumers only buy AMD if they can't afford to pay more for an equivalent Nvidia graphics card.

Last edited:
Soldato
People will mostly buy Nvidia GPUs regardless (I heard they have 80% market share in graphics cards). They are rolling in cash and they will make plenty more this year, with the GPUs already announced.

They don't need to make all the profit this year, they can make more profit if they rerelease improved cards in 10-12 months.

They might bring the release forward if AMD has a 2nd RDNA 2 launch next year, perhaps with an improved fab. process like 7nm+ (EUV). AMD will probably make most of their profit from Series X and PS5 sales, it's where most of their attention is focused for RDNA 2.

Last edited:
Soldato
2GB GDDR6X chips do not exist. So the only way to do a 20GB 3080 now is with 3090 type design. £££

16GB 3070 can however be done simply with the existing PCB.

Back
Top Bottom