Skoda Enyaq IV

Soldato
Might be more of a problem with the rush current of simple electrical kit I imagine, I’d like to think a charger would be smarter. Still if you are camping you are unlikely to be going too far so 13A would be fine.

You don't even get 13A on some sites, the max draw is 10A or even 6A, go over that & you've often got to phone someone to come & reset the hook up in the morning or at best go back outside to reset it yourself if it isn't locked, it's easy to trip those without having a car on charge, i've done it several times just by turning the microwave on for example. Plug the car in after a day out on some sites & if it tries to draw 13A you are without mains electricity until the next morning.

And then you have the annual horse event we used to attend every year, no mains availability for 7 days, you were running on a 120W solar panel there with the only 240v power source being a 6amp inverter running off a 230Ah leisure battery charged by those panels, that aint going to power a car along with giving you juice to keep the beers cold and 2 people have a shower every morning for a week.

Soldato
Great looking car, although the light up grille is chavtastic. Sadly it suffers from the modern curse of sticking too many controls on a touchscreen. Give us back our volume and temp knobs!

Volume is on the steering wheel, temperature is automatic climate control, set and forget. Unless you're a weirdo obsessed with being a different temperature every time you drive the car :p

Associate
My Skoda has volume on the steering wheel as well as on the dashboard and I don't remember the last time I ever used the dashboard control.

Temp does get changed a lot though, mostly a battle between me and my wife on cold vs hot!

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
Skoda Option's list is now just like Audi

for a Base Model Enyaq at £33,450 there is no standard adaptive cruise control or rear camera, by the time you add the minimum safety options your already over £35k. Not good value at all, Skoda is supposed to be the least expensive of the VW group , what will the prices be like on VW ID 4
eek.gif

https://www.skoda.co.uk/discover/build-your-own-enyaq

Soldato

for a Base Model Enyaq at £33,450 there is no standard adaptive cruise control or rear camera, by the time you add the minimum safety options your already over £35k. Not good value at all, Skoda is supposed to be the least expensive of the VW group , what will the prices be like on VW ID 4
eek.gif

Yup. £51K and I didn't even add metallic paint.

Associate

eek.gif

I think the Enyaq 50 will be a cheaper version as well which hasn't appeared on the Skoda site yet. I personally think the price is good considering the lack of other largish fill EV suvs that exist at the moment.

Soldato
I think the Enyaq 50 will be a cheaper version as well which hasn't appeared on the Skoda site yet. I personally think the price is good considering the lack of other largish fill EV suvs that exist at the moment.

Surely a 50kwh battery on a big car like that is barely going to get 150 miles range?

Associate
Surely a 50kwh battery on a big car like that is barely going to get 150 miles range?
They might reckon that that will be enough for that model. Look at the Mini e for example. Many suvs are only driven short distances per day so 150 miles is easily enough for them.

Soldato
If you consider that the average UK annual mileage Is supposedly 12000 miles per year that’s 230 miles per week. If you allow for a couple of long trips each year most people don’t drive 50 miles per day. So 150 miles range with a home charger is actually plenty for almost everyone.

Associate
If you consider that the average UK annual mileage Is supposedly 12000 miles per year that’s 230 miles per week. If you allow for a couple of long trips each year most people don’t drive 50 miles per day. So 150 miles range with a home charger is actually plenty for almost everyone.

Without wanting to rehash the arguments made all the time about electric cars, the average driven is generally not linear, with more shorter trips and few much longer trips. The long range for electric cars is being developed to help overcome the concerns of consumers about the one trip a month they do that's well over the range for there and back.

I have a Skoda Kodiaq so this car at this price point is aimed directly at me as a consumer. I'd be looking at a 250 to 300 mile range to replace my main family car.

Soldato
Without wanting to rehash the arguments made all the time about electric cars, the average driven is generally not linear, with more shorter trips and few much longer trips. The long range for electric cars is being developed to help overcome the concerns of consumers about the one trip a month they do that's well over the range for there and back.

I have a Skoda Kodiaq so this car at this price point is aimed directly at me as a consumer. I'd be looking at a 250 to 300 mile range to replace my main family car.

Then it's simple. You can't have one of these as your only car. In our household we have an electric car and we have ICE cars. If we're going on holiday in Europe we're just not taking the Tesla at the moment. If you're honest though, how often do you do 150-mile round trips? Most people (especially in big cities) start to think hard about going at anything over 25 miles.

Associate
If you're honest though, how often do you do 150-mile round trips? .

I'm probably unusual in that its once every two weeks due to family, with no option to charge when we get there in most cases (parking issues). I agree that electric though would be fine for most people at shorter ranges, but the car companies are creating models (like this one) with high quoted ranges to get over consumer worries and tempt them to swap.

Soldato
Then it's simple. You can't have one of these as your only car. In our household we have an electric car and we have ICE cars. If we're going on holiday in Europe we're just not taking the Tesla at the moment. If you're honest though, how often do you do 150-mile round trips? Most people (especially in big cities) start to think hard about going at anything over 25 miles.

The problem isn't so much the need to charge en-route as the difficulty doing so. Stopping to charge for 30-45 mins every few hours is fine, especially with kids who need to eat/pee/run around. Stopping to find the only charger is broken/in use, having to move on to the next one (or 2) is not so fine.

It doesn't really matter how often you do the longer trips - if you only have 1 car in the family then if it isn't suitable for all of your use, it isn't suitable full stop, and until the public charging infrastructure is significantly improved, a short range* EV isn't ideal as a single family car.

Surprised you don't take the Tesla though since you don't suffer from the same infrastructure issues?

* I'd class 150 miles as relatively short range for a modern car - particularly one costing £35k+ - considering you could get that from a Zoe 4 years ago

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom