• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen3 3200G Quad Core 4.0Ghz upgrade

Associate
Was thinking of improving on the ryzen3 3200g..(maybe something more future proof) I might move the 3200g on to a build for Grandaughter.
Finding photos opening up in Nikon's viewNX2 a fraction slow...could be Nikon's software.
Keeping MB,can upgrade memory also.. if needed.

MSI B450-A Pro Max
Team Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB (2x4GB)
Bitfenix Whisper Mseries 550W Plus

Maybe adding a gpu to the 3200 might be an answer?
Cheers

Man of Honour
Finding photos opening up in Nikon's viewNX2 a fraction slow...could be Nikon's software.
What exactly is this software? If you're just opening photos from a camera or a disk, I'd imagine the bottleneck is more likely to be the SSD or the connection between camera and PC? I can't imagine that this simple sounding task would use multiple cores, or the GPU.

Associate
Fitting tasks into 8GB of ram can be a struggle nowadays. Upgraded my brother's PC from a 2200G to a 2600 plus 16GB RAM, RX 580 and it really flies. I would upgrade to decent 16GB 3200mhz (minimum speed) ram and a 4750G if you don't want a descrete GPU. Or a 2600 + gpu otherwise. Also what storage are you using? Looks to me like an NVMe drive as your os and storage would help. You probably would see biggest gains from doing NVMe and ram first. A 1TB sabrent rocket or data sx8200 would be really fast and pretty reasonable price £120 ISH.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.
I have a 240gb ssd (174GB free space) which I do try to keep for OS but some programmes won't let me change path when D/L. Also have 3 other HDDs for photos storage and other stuff.
2 of the 500gb HDDs that my photos are on ...1 has 130gGB free space and the other one 68GB free space left , the 3rd HDD is 2TB , which I use to back up photos. Photos is personal, family etc
Maybe I should also update the HDD which has only 64GB left to a larger storage also?
4570G not coming up to buy? in search.
Thanks

Associate
Associate
Quite old software isn't it, so probably not optimal for multicore, look at task manager when doing tasks in MX2 that are taking time to see where bottle neck is, if CPU is nowhere near maxxed, CPU is not the issue, additionally if HDD/SSD are showing no appreciable load they are not issue either.

As mentioned if its photos coming straight off of the camera rather than HDD and then being processed for thumbnails the bottle neck is likely USB speed and the sequential nature, this could perhaps be alleviated by using a usb 3 Sd card reader in your usb 3 slots? or by first copying photos to a drive on the machine and then using the viewer such that the processing isn't held back by the camera USB connection

Also perhaps try some other camera software, see if it improves.

Back
Top Bottom